Public/Private Debate: A Scenario (guru please read!)

jbwill2

The statement's not true, the player from Villa Hills is. You heard correct. When I said, "You have to live in Ft Thomas to play for Highlands." I was merely stating that in my opinion, that's the way it should be. You have to assign districts to private schools and public schools than only allow kids to go to those schools within their districts. That idea didn't go over too well though.

Under your scenerio what would happen to this football player?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about the upcoming KHSAA vote has got me thinking...

I remember that the guru wrote of BGP awhile ago that he didn't think the non-Big III 4A schools had much of an argument about Trinity and Saint X having an unfair advantage, mainly because he didn't think those other 4A schools put enough time and effort into building up their own football programs to compete with X and T. I also remember the guru writing on BGP awhile ago that he believes Highlands, more than any other football program in the state, historically gets more out of what they have to work with than any other program, with regard to things like time, effort, training, commitment, etc.

So, considering all that, here's a scenario I'd like the guru and others to consider:

Say that CovCath, under their new coach, returns the Colonels to a championship level (LIT has them tops in the entire state right now). This athletic success, coupled with the fact that CCH is an outstanding academic school, could very easily lead to CCH attracting even more NKY-area talent. Say that this cycle continues until CCH completely dominates Highlands in football on a consistent basis.

The guru's previous argument that catholic schools don't have an unfair advantage is predicated on the fact that many of the "complaining" schools don't work hard enough at building their own programs to compete. But this isn't the case for Highlands... in fact, they work as hard or harder than anyone in the state. If CCH begins consistently dominating HHS, even though HHS is working and preparing as much as they possibly can, then what would this say about the relative advantage of a private school's football progam compared to a public school's football program??? If this were to happen over the next 10 years, would (and should) Highlands be voting in favor of kicking out the private schools when the vote comes up again, say 10 years down the road???

If this scenario indeed played out, would it offer proof that catholic schools have an unfair advantage over public schools?

If you want to quote me, then quote me, otherwise use your own thoughts and words.

The answer to your question is no, there is no (and certainly no unfair) advantage for CovCath over Highlands because both schools have open enrollment.

This right here makes me angry.....REALLY, REALLY, REALLY ANGRY! :mad: :mad:

The fact that they would "allow" us to play public schools during the regular season.....

I'm seriously speechless with anger right now! :mad: :mad: :mad:

What do others of you feel about this?

Rockmom take a deep breath. If the KHSAA kicks the privates out of the state championship, the privates will have to make a decision: to accept the proposal or leave the KHSAA. Many may choose to leave the KHSAA. X and T would probably leave. X and T could give full scholarships to players. If the public school coaches believe that X and T has "recruited" wait until X and T can give full scholarships in football and basketball.

Wouldn't it be better for X and T football? T would not have to play Southern, Oldham County, Eastern, Fern Creek or Seneca. Those games are usually miserable for both teams. X and T could play private schools only, with games against the Cincinnati schools, Dayton Chaminade, Nashville Montgomery Bell and so on. Marshall Field would be packed.

I believe that all schools may be better off if the proposal is passed and the privates leave the KHSAA. There is no way that public schools(except for about 4 or 5 of them) can compete with X or T or Cov Cath in football.

Wouldn't it be better for X and T football? T would not have to play Southern, Oldham County, Eastern, Fern Creek or Seneca. Those games are usually miserable for both teams. X and T could play private schools only, with games against the Cincinnati schools, Dayton Chaminade, Nashville Montgomery Bell and so on. Marshall Field would be packed.

I believe that all schools may be better off if the proposal is passed and the privates leave the KHSAA. There is no way that public schools(except for about 4 or 5 of them) can compete with X or T or Cov Cath in football.

But they couldn't play Male or Manual, either, because the KHSAA now forbids member schools from playing schools that aren't sanctioned by their state association. I think Tennessee has a similar rule, because their basketball teams can't play against Oak Hill Academy. If Indiana and Ohio were to pass similar rules, the market for opponents for Trinity and St. Xavier dries up very quickly.

Frankly, I think Trinity and St. Xavier suffer under that scenario, because part of the allure of high school athletics is the competition between local rivals and the chance to compete for a state title. I think the inability to do both would steer some players away from those two programs. Many families, even if they could afford the tuition, couldn't afford to travel to watch a football team that plays a "national" schedule.

I don't know that Trinity would necessarily pack the stands for a slate of out-of-state opponents, either. When Trinity and St. Xavier play Manual and the other public schools, a percentage of the fans are there to see the other team and another portion is there for the matchup of two good teams. If Trinity and St. Xavier are forced to play out-of-state teams that local fans don't know or care about, attendance could suffer.

Frankly, I think Trinity and St. Xavier suffer under that scenario, because part of the allure of high school athletics is the competition between local rivals and the chance to compete for a state title. I think the inability to do both would steer some players away from those two programs. Many families, even if they could afford the tuition, couldn't afford to travel to watch a football team that plays a "national" schedule.

I agree west. If the KHSAA kicks the private schools out the real winners will be schools like Beechwood, Highlands, and Male. I believe that most athlete-students :D on the fence between Beechwood/CCH, Highlands/NCC, or Male/T or X would lean towards the school with a chance to win a KHSAA state title which means the rich (open enrollment schools) get richer. Kicking the private schools out of the KHSAA is playing with fire (in football for sure).

I agree west. If the KHSAA kicks the private schools out the real winners will be schools like Beechwood, Highlands, and Male. I believe that most athlete-students :D on the fence between Beechwood/CCH, Highlands/NCC, or Male/T or X would lean towards the school with a chance to win a KHSAA state title which means the rich (open enrollment schools) get richer. Kicking the private schools out of the KHSAA is playing with fire (in football for sure).

If it passes the private schools will take it to court and so on and so on. It will be 2010 until this thing gets started. It will be a long time until the proposal is stamped.

Rambo,

I don't know, the Mitchell case showed me the KHSAA swings a pretty big stick. However, I do agree in this case it would be a matter for the courts and not for the member schools because too many of the schools have an agenda or bias.

My point above is that other than knocking T and X out of 4A this move may actually make the "problem" worse in all the other classes.

All the more reason to just split football between the publics and privates, don't you think???

Do you like the idea of a shallow victory? ;)

Well that's what you'll get if you isolate the Private High Schools from the Public High Schools.

Just for arguments sake let's say the KHSAA sets the Private Schools loose in their own conference/division to do what they will. Then HHS goes on and wins their State title each and every year for the next 10 years.

In the mean time CCH is out there playing Lexington Catholic and Christian Academy of Louisville (CAL) and a whole host of other private schools across the state and from Indiana, Ohio and Tennessee. CCH can still say yea you won a state title but you never played us! As can St. X, or Trinity, or Lexington Catholic, CAL, or any other private school in the state.

You play the game to see who is the better team; NOT to fit some pie in the sky idea of what's fair and not fair. You can "what if" this thing all you want, but if you don't play the game how do you know who will or won't win!

Remember folks this GAME is for the kids. And it is just a game. Let's face facts, the majority of these kids will not play ball beyond high school. The percentages are not in their favor. This game is NOT for us adults to get our jollies by living vicariously thru our kids.

I for one, who is a dad with a kid who plays high school sports, and coached baseball for 8 years, have asked the question of kids in other programs. And the response has come back resoundingly, "Yes, we want our shot at beating them." That tells me the kids like the idea of playing the private schools. Because when they do beat the Private schools, the victory is all the more SWEET. I say we leave it up to them, they're the ones playing the game; not us.

:dancingpa

Many people (myself included) would not agree that CCH has a "superior" academic record compared to Highlands. They are likely comparable, but I don't accept that CCH is "superior."

Thus, the only change would be the improved athletics at CCH, and as the KHSAA has made painfully clear, students are not allowed to transfer and play sports for athletic reasons. ;)

But if the come as freshman to the High School KHSAA has no say.