Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Public/Private Debate: A Scenario (guru please read!)

Featured Replies

Can someone post a list of private schools that play football in the state. I thought the CJ article said there were only 15. What schools would be out?

 

 

Well, first you have to exclude the all-girls schools.... :D

  • Replies 152
  • Views 18.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll try from memory

 

4A Trinity, St. X

3A Covington Catholic, Lexington Catholic

2A DeSales, Christian Acadmy of Louisville, Owensboro Catholic

1A Holy Cross (Louisville), Holy Cross (Covington), Lexington Christian Academy, Kentucky Country Day, Bethlehem, Newport Central Catholic

 

Not competing for district titles (but would be 1A)

Evangel, Beth Haven

I'll try from memory

 

Trinity, St. X, DeSales, Holy Cross (Louisville), Holy Cross (Covington), Covington Catholic, Lexington Catholic, Christian Acadmy of Louisville, Lexington Christian Academy, Kentucky Country Day, Bethlehem, Evangel, Beth Haven, Newport Central Catholic, Owensboro Catholic

 

 

If they kicked the Catholic schools out think of all the recruiting that could go on. Wow all of these schools would start their own association. Then they could play other state schools. A couple of these schools could get an ESPN contract and play some top school out of state. WOW! what an opportunity these schools would have.

I'll try from memory

 

4A Trinity, St. X

3A Covington Catholic, Lexington Catholic

2A DeSales, Christian Acadmy of Louisville, Owensboro Catholic

1A Holy Cross (Louisville), Holy Cross (Covington), Lexington Christian Academy, Kentucky Country Day, Bethlehem, Newport Central Catholic

 

Not competing for district titles (but would be 1A)

Evangel, Beth Haven

 

Curious looking at this list, other than Trinity and X; how many state championships have this group of "schools with huge unfair advantages" won??

The problem is that there are only a very limited number of private schools. In 4A there are two. In 3A, there are two. It just doesn't work. I for one don't buy the argument that the smaller schools should just work harder. In the long run it is going to be hard for a school with 300 boys to compete in football with a school with 1450. That only makes sense, but the answer isn't to throw the school with 1450 students out. All of the other claimed advantages of the private schools are available to public schools, but for, in some cases, very good reasons of economics and public policy, they choose not to make those choices available to their students. Take Jefferson and Oldham counties as an example. The Jefferson County schools could allow Oldham County kids to attend and the Oldham County schools could allow Jefferson County kids to attend. Each could charge whatever they see as appropriate tuition. Do they? Will they? Would it be good policy for the rapidly growing Oldham County schools to allow Jefferson County kids to attend? I don't have an answer to those questions, but I do know that the answer is not to punish the kids that have made the choice to attend a private school that works very hard to be successful in all things. Trinity will get a great deal of publicity this weekend when the formal opening of Marshall Stadium takes place. That is as it should be. One of the questions that has been asked is why did it take ten years to get this stadium built? The answer is that Trinity very properly spent money first on expanding and upgrading the academic facilities to meet the demands of 21st century education and a rapidly growing enrollment. Why should that type of success get our kids kicked out?

 

You make some very good points so I'm quoting your post in it's entirety. The problem would be, using your examples of Jefferson and Oldham counties, that if all districts had an open enrollment policy complete with reciprocal agreements there exists the possibilities that one district would so completely overwhelm the other that the second would cease to exist. At first glance, one could say fine, if they can't compete, let 'em close the doors. But the public school systems were set up to allow every child an education. Not every family has the means (or even the will) to transport their child daily across county lines. The loss of revenue would put such a burden on a local system that they could no longer operate to educate those left behind.

What if we all just attended private schools? Could you come up with enough scholarships and work study programs to handle the masses? What if we allow their funds to come with them? With federal and state money comes federal and state rules including separation of church and state.

See? I don't have the answer. But I know it's not equal. And as for these "watered down" state titles I keep reading about, is not your state title already water down when your opponent must play with one hand tied behind his back?

I think NCC has one, CCHS has 4, I am pretty sure.

You make some very good points so I'm quoting your post in it's entirety. The problem would be, using your examples of Jefferson and Oldham counties, that if all districts had an open enrollment policy complete with reciprocal agreements there exists the possibilities that one district would so completely overwhelm the other that the second would cease to exist. At first glance, one could say fine, if they can't compete, let 'em close the doors. But the public school systems were set up to allow every child an education. Not every family has the means (or even the will) to transport their child daily across county lines. The loss of revenue would put such a burden on a local system that they could no longer operate to educate those left behind.

What if we all just attended private schools? Could you come up with enough scholarships and work study programs to handle the masses? What if we allow their funds to come with them? With federal and state money comes federal and state rules including separation of church and state.

See? I don't have the answer. But I know it's not equal. And as for these "watered down" state titles I keep reading about, is not your state title already water down when your opponent must play with one hand tied behind his back?

 

Thank-you for the kind words. I am a strong believer that competition makes everyone better. That is why Trinity and x are good for each other. I don't think that open boundaries would put any but the worst schools out of business and maybe that isn't such a bad thing. In Kentucky, the state constitution prevents education money from being spent on any schools other than the public schools, so we won't be seeing state money spent on private schools until here is a constitutional amendment. With regard to funding, I don't buy the argument that the establishment clause prohibits funding of private religious schools. Students at religious affiliated colleges routinely receive federal funding through grants and loans. I don't see the difference in the earlier years of education.

  • Author
If you want to quote me, then quote me, otherwise use your own thoughts and words.

 

Yowza!!!!!! I did get the smack-down put on me!!! That will teach me! :creepy:

 

I'd better watch it. I need the guru to feed my Highlands football picture addiction. If I lose my supplier, I'm screwed!!!!! :D

 

I can't help but notice that several of the threads I've started have been real duds here lately. What's up with that???? Also, I see that one of my all-time most idiotic threads has now been added to Classic BGP!! I guess I'm famous now.

Yowza!!!!!! I did get the smack-down put on me!!! That will teach me! :creepy:

 

I'd better watch it. I need the guru to feed my Highlands football picture addiction. If I lose my supplier, I'm screwed!!!!! :D

 

Hey, if you guys don't start winning this well is dry!

  • Author
Hey, if you guys don't start winning this well is dry!

Hey, we went 2-13 last year, and it didn't stop you from being at about half HHS' games... why stop going now!!!!!!! :thumb:

 

You know you love 'em!

  • Author

Hey guru, what do you think of Highlands' chances in 3A now? I still think they're right there close to the top. Is my optimism warranted, or am I just delusional?

I think NCC has one, CCHS has 4, I am pretty sure.

 

Does NC have one?

 

CCH has 5 I believe.

Does NC have one?

 

CCH has 5 I believe.

Ncc has1 in 2a in 1984

Ncc has1 in 2a in 1984

 

My apologies. Was that a Frank Jacobs team?

Hey, we went 2-13 last year, and it didn't stop you from being at about half HHS' games... why stop going now!!!!!!! :thumb:

 

You know you love 'em!

 

Have you been hanging out with them Conner coaches again?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.