Public/Private Debate: A Scenario (guru please read!)

jbwill2

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a true Statement? I thought I heard there was freshman from Villa Hills on Highlands freshman team?

You heard right!!!! There is a kid form Villa Hills on the Highlands Freshman Team this year. He has also been participating in the Ft Thomas Jr. league since the fifth grade. Where do you think he should of went CCH :D He also was a front runner for an acedemic scholarship to attend CCH but declined to go to Highlands. Before any CCH posters start freaking out about CCH not giving acedemic scholarships, then why would i be making this up. His father went to Highlands and his mother went to Notre Dame. His boys are being raised to play at their dads alma mater and that is all there is to it.

Rambo,

I don't know, the Mitchell case showed me the KHSAA swings a pretty big stick. However, I do agree in this case it would be a matter for the courts and not for the member schools because too many of the schools have an agenda or bias.

My point above is that other than knocking T and X out of 4A this move may actually make the "problem" worse in all the other classes.

I agree they are swinging a big stick, but I don't think it will take effect until the next re-alignment or even later. Also didn't the KHSAA pass something that says if you are not part of the Association you can't play other associations or other state teams?

KHSAA may split public, private Article today in C-J:

Quote from C-J:

"What could private schools -- who won 17 of Kentucky's 30 state championships last school year -- do to quell the separation movement?"

"Define your feeder system," Spears said. "Define your boundaries. That's exactly what we (the public schools) do."

I have been told time and time again on here that public schools could stretch their boundaries out and get players but I have always heard elsewhere that public schools cannot and this article is saying that public schools cannot.

Quote from C-J:

"What could private schools -- who won 17 of Kentucky's 30 state championships last school year -- do to quell the separation movement?"

"Define your feeder system," Spears said. "Define your boundaries. That's exactly what we (the public schools) do."

I have been told time and time again on here that public schools could stretch their boundaries out and get players but I have always heard elsewhere that public schools cannot and this article is saying that public schools cannot.

Wow! This is what I said and got ridiculed on yesterday. :D

Quote from C-J:

I have one thing to say to Spears. Go to Louisville they don't have boundaries. So he is a liar if he says public schools have boundaries. Not everywhere buddy.

Wow! This is what I said and got ridiculed on yesterday. :D

Well, let's just use the Jefferson County schools as an example.

Being an open enrollment district, Jefferson County schools have choices, including private schools, from which to decide their school. So, I think that all is equal among them, with regard to the Jefferson County school district.

Now, neighboring counties: Oldham, Bullit, etc, do not offer a private school choice at the high school level. Are you saying the private schools should limit their enrollment to students only in Jefferson County?

How does the Jefferson County open enrollment work? Does that mean they are allowed to transfer freely within the district or does it include outside the district as well?

There is no district or no district bussing. So yes any PUBLIC or PRIVATE school can get anyone.

Here's an interesting survey done by the JCPS:

Our District

Three high schools--Eastern, Male, and Manual--made Newsweek magazine’s 2005 list of America’s Best High Schools.

JCPS earned a 2004-05 Super System for Quality Schools designation for having all schools accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

JCPS was a national finalist for the 2003 Broad Prize for Urban Education. An independent panel of national education leaders analyzed the performance of more than 100 U.S. urban school districts and determined we were in the top five. The prize rewards public school systems that use creative, results-oriented approaches, and JCPS received $125,000 for student scholarships.

Of course, we enjoy national recognition, but local appreciation is even better. For the past several years, Jefferson County parents consistently have given JCPS high marks.

2005 parent survey question Range: 0-5

I believe administrators and teachers do a good job maintaining discipline. 4.4

I believe teachers care about my child as a person. 4.4

I believe there is a positive learning atmosphere at my child's school. 4.4

My child likes school. 4.4

My child is getting a quality education. 4.5

My child will be able to go to the next grade level, go to college, or get a job after graduation. 4.5

Our success is public knowledge