Public/Private Debate: A Scenario (guru please read!)

jbwill2

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This info is from the article:

"But consider that since 1994, public schools have won 234 state team championships and private schools 185. If you factor in that there are 234 public schools - or five times as many public schools as there are private schools - it's obvious the private schools have an edge.

A private school has won every boys state swimming championship since 1994 and the girls have won 10 of 11. In soccer, private schools have seven boys titles to four for public schools. In tennis, it's nine boys titles for private schools and two for the public schools. Same with cross country where the private schools have 16 boys titles to 14 for the public schools.

Some numbers still weigh heavily with the public schools. In football, public schools have 34 state titles to 10 for the private schools. In boys basketball, it's 10-1 for the public schools"

So I guess we can conclude a few things:

1. Private schools have no clue whatsoever about how to recruit, coach, and assemble a Boys basketball team.

2. Public schools just can't find any good swimmers in their schools. Must all be on the football teams winning championships.

3. Private schools must hide in the bushes and scour the parks to find all those Tennis players.

;)

Could Highlands take a student-player from Cincinnati just as easily as Covington Catholic?

Unless that answer is no, then your whole first post is not relevant.

I don't know, can they?

Why is this issue totally contingent upon Cincy kids anyway?

While not officially "taking a side", the article appears to slant in the direction one would expect from a newspaper which serves two of the more likely beneficiaries, (Danville and Boyle County) if the privates were banished to their own playoffs.

The observation that "Money is seldom a problem at private schools" obviously came from someone that never sat in on a parochial school budget meeting!! I'd be interested in seeing how many of the swimming, tennis, cross country, etc. titles were won by a handful of schools. I doubt the vast majority of schools, public or private even have tennis or swimming teams!! Also interesting was the lack of the private's superiority in football and basketball!!

Considering the past history of these two schools success in football, especially Danville's in three of the four classes, I don't think that they are looking to be beneficiaries, or need to be, of private schools being in their own class...

If I had to guess, this proposal is based on two things.

1.) T and X

2. ) Lex. Cath, because they take all the kids that the public schools in Lexington feel they need to compete against T and X in 4A Football.

If they find enough disgruntled voices, it might carry.

"But consider that since 1994, public schools have won 234 state team championships and private schools 185. If you factor in that there are 234 public schools - or five times as many public schools as there are private schools - it's obvious the private schools have an edge.

A private school has won every boys state swimming championship since 1994 and the girls have won 10 of 11. In soccer, private schools have seven boys titles to four for public schools. In tennis, it's nine boys titles for private schools and two for the public schools. Same with cross country where the private schools have 16 boys titles to 14 for the public schools.

Some numbers still weigh heavily with the public schools. In football, public schools have 34 state titles to 10 for the private schools. In boys basketball, it's 10-1 for the public schools"

1. Private schools have no clue whatsoever about how to recruit, coach, and assemble a Boys basketball team.

2. Public schools just can't find any good swimmers in their schools. Must all be on the football teams winning championships.

3. Private schools must hide in the bushes and scour the parks to find all those Tennis players.

;)

Does anyone else see the economic side of APNW's ramblings? :D It jumped out at me.

Again, assign districts to public and private schools. If you're in that district, you can go to that school and play sports. If you're not, you play for the school in your district in which you live. For example, you can choose NCC or Newport for high school if you live in Newport. Ft Thomas has one high school, you go there or you move.

Where do you move to ..........Russia?

What if you live in Southgate? Right now you can go to Highlands, Newport, Campbell County, Dayton, Bellevue, any private school. So if my house is in Southgate I can do that, but if you live next door to me in Newport you have two choices and the guy across the street in Fort Thomas has one?

Nyet!

;)

I just haven't ever heard of a public high school swimming team until today. There are none in Graves county, Paducah may have one but I doubt it. I was on a pay-to-play swim team and I had heard of Graves County wanting to get one together but I think that the difficulty is the facilities to use.

I don't know, can they?

Why is this issue totally contingent upon Cincy kids anyway?

Yes they can. Independent school districts, have every So called advantage as private schools.

It doesn't have to be from Cincy. It could be from Walton, Florence, Ft. Thomas, Bellevue, or Spain for that matter.

Where do you move to ..........Russia?

What if you live in Southgate? Right now you can go to Highlands, Newport, Campbell County, Dayton, Bellevue, any private school. So if my house is in Southgate I can do that, but if you live next door to me in Newport you have two choices and the guy across the street in Fort Thomas has one?

Nyet!

To answer your first question, huh?

Your second question: If you live in Southgate and go to high school your school is Newport. If you want to go to HHS, CCHS, DHS or BHS, you pay the ADA to attend.(Currently $4125) Unless Newport releases you.

Your third question: Yes