NCAA allegations on D. Rose at Memphis

SSC

I don't know this looks pretty serious to me, and something a Head Coach would have to know about:

from ESPN.com:

Memphis and Calipari could be in the clear on that if this was a Windy City inside job.

But there's another alleged violation at Memphis that should be more troubling for the school and potentially for Calipari: the failure by "an associate" of a (cough) student-athlete (cough) to pay for multiple trips on the team plane and stays at the team hotel. (Reports have named the "associate" as Derrick Rose's brother, Reggie, who handled most of the recruitment of his younger sibling.) The trips cost a total of more than $2,200, and there's no way to believe Calipari didn't know who was on the plane or at the team hotel.

The whole ordeal is pretty serious, any time you are talking about re-writing the history books it's a big deal. If the final four banner comes down, that is a huge black eye that will never go away.

If I understand it correctly, it's not really an issue of not knowing who was on the plane or in the hotel, it's an issue of that particular person not paying his bills. At every university, boosters and other associates fill up the empty seats on the travel plane and rooms at the hotels for away trips. Its common. They have to pay for their rooms/seats, but its not against any regulations for them to tag along.

The issue here is Rose's brother didn't pay for all his expenses, while apparently he did pay for some trips. Something the head coach wouldn't know about at the time, and probably something the university wouldn't even consider an issue until the bill went delinquent.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The issue here is Rose's brother didn't pay for all his expenses, while apparently he did pay for some trips. Something the head coach wouldn't know about at the time, and probably something the university wouldn't even consider an issue until the bill went delinquent.

Maybe Memphis should hire Tubby to find the "missing check." :lol:

It's fodder nothing more than fodder....for the crowd that is skeptical of Cal.

This issue has nothing on the Duke-Corey Maggette-Myron Piggie deal and Duke didnt forfeit their national runner-up.

Typical UK fan answer.....

The Corey Maggette-Myron Piggie situation had absolutely nothing to do with Coach K's character whatsoever. Bad choice in recruiting Maggette, sure, but that has nothing to do with Coach K or that Coach K committed any violations, or that Coach K knew about Maggette's poor decisions. What Maggette did and how the NCAA chose to deal with that is on them. The main difference in Maggette and Camby's cases is that Maggette took his money while in high school, Camby was in college when he took his money. I am not the NCAA so I can't answer why they didn't strip Duke of its 1999 Runner Up run. I guess that is the NCAA looking out for Duke because we all know everyone loves Duke and not UK.:rolleyes:

To even imply anything about that situation is sour grapes. Nothing is going to happen to UK in this, but all I am saying is be careful what you wish for. As soon as you guys hang up banner 8, you very well could be taking it down.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it's probably a duck.......

The Corey Maggette-Myron Piggie situation had absolutely nothing to do with Coach K's character whatsoever. Bad choice in recruiting Maggette, sure, but that has nothing to do with Coach K or that Coach K committed any violations, or that Coach K knew about Maggette's poor decisions. What Maggette did and how the NCAA chose to deal with that is on them. The main difference in Maggette and Camby's cases is that Maggette took his money while in high school, Camby was in college when he took his money. I am not the NCAA so I can't answer why they didn't strip Duke of its 1999 Runner Up run. I guess that is the NCAA looking out for Duke because we all know everyone loves Duke and not UK.:rolleyes:

So the current situation with Rose is very similar to the Magette situation. If so, is it fair to say the Rose "situation had absolutely nothing to do with Coach C's character whatsoever?"

To even imply anything about that situation is sour grapes. Nothing is going to happen to UK in this, but all I am saying is be careful what you wish for. As soon as you guys hang up banner 8, you very well could be taking it down.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it's probably a duck.......

He wasn't comparing it to the Camby situation. He's comparing it to Rose b/c it took place while they were in high school and seemingly with out the University or coaches knowing. He's guessing nothing will happen to MEMPHIS b/c they knew nothing of it. Everyone knows nothing will happen to UK or Calipari. Relax.

So the current situation with Rose is very similar to the Magette situation. If so, is it fair to say the Rose "situation had absolutely nothing to do with Coach C's character whatsoever?"

Some people turn when all they have to do is go straight.

He wasn't comparing it to the Camby situation. He's comparing it to Rose b/c it took place while they were in high school and seemingly with out the University or coaches knowing. He's guessing nothing will happen to MEMPHIS b/c they knew nothing of it. Everyone knows nothing will happen to UK or Calipari. Relax.

He brought up the Maggette situation, not me. I simply responded to his posts.

The Maggette and Rose situation aren't similar except for that they were both in high school. Currently, we only know the allegations involving Rose and that Cal's name isn't on the report.

My reference to character is pointing out that Cal has been to 2 Final Fours and both could end up being vacated. Even if he didn't know about the things that went on at UMass and Memphis, then he really should have a better grasp on what is going on at the schools he is coaching at. It is awful coincidental that BOTH of his Final Four trips could end up being vacated and there is no way around that no matter how you much you want to sugar coat it.

Took money=ineligible

Fradulant test=ineligble

Neither school knew. Why should Memphis pay penalty when Duke did not, or Kansas...see Darrel Arthur.

We are looking at present issue at hand.

The major violations in regards to hoops is a simple reimbursement of airfare, and Rose's test scores.

Everything is lumped into the major issues of golf program.

One is a high school issue....he was cleared through Clearinghouse...meaning he is good to go at Memphis.

Airfare is an administrative dealing.

Both Maggette and Rose (if indeed he cheated) should have been ineligible. Both participated in Final Fours, both schools claiming they did not know...Duke keeps theirs and Memphis is in danger of losing theirs?

Took money=ineligible

Fradulant test=ineligble

Neither school knew. Why should Memphis pay penalty when Duke did not, or Kansas...see Darrel Arthur.

We are looking at present issue at hand.

The major violations in regards to hoops is a simple reimbursement of airfare, and Rose's test scores.

Everything is lumped into the major issues of golf program.

One is a high school issue....he was cleared through Clearinghouse...meaning he is good to go at Memphis.

Airfare is an administrative dealing.

Both Maggette and Rose (if indeed he cheated) should have been ineligible. Both participated in Final Fours, both schools claiming they did not know...Duke keeps theirs and Memphis is in danger of losing theirs?

You biased UK fan you.

Refresher on the Piggie-Maggette-Duke issue.

My gist is to compare the fact that Maggette after the fact was an ineligible player and had signed a release saying he had not received any money prior to attending Duke. In fact he did and admitted to doing so after his days as a Dookie were done. Hence he was ineligible. Same thing with Rose.

Duke did not vacate Final Four. Why should Memphis?

Im not here to smear Duke, I am trying to show precedence.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=dw-ncaafavorites&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

...And that is probably the case with Krzyzewski and Duke. It is unlikely anyone in Durham knew, or should have known, about Maggette's dealings with Piggie. But that has nothing to do with the rules. If you play one ineligible player, even unintentionally, by definition your team is ineligible.