May 29, 200917 yr What I read was that the brother was billed for the ride and simply didn't pay the bill.:thumb: :thumb:
May 29, 200917 yr Perhaps. But if it comes to pass that Memphis St. has to vacate their FF berth, that would be two on Calipari's watch. That means two players he recruited engaged in questionable behavior, whether the coach knew it or not. If I'm a UK fan, that makes me very, very nervous about the character of the players he recruits. I would assume with Rose being a top 5 player in his class that virtually every coach in the country recruited him.
May 29, 200917 yr In my opinion, you can bring a full-scale NCAA investigation to any program in the country and they will find plenty of violations - most would be much more than what was found at Memphis. The Memphis program was actually being ran pretty well.
May 29, 200917 yr I can't help but think of the reaction if this were UL, IU, NC, or Duke's Coach? Would it still be no big deal? First, no...the reaction would lock up this site for days....maybe even weeks....second, I think Calipari will again come out smelling like a Rose (no pun)...third, and last, it HAS to bring up questions as to the credibility of the entire Calipari Package....while his program may be clean while at Kentucky, what could happen when he does leave/retire/etc....
May 29, 200917 yr I would assume with Rose being a top 5 player in his class that virtually every coach in the country recruited him. Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that two guys he's recruited turned out to be low-character guys who cost the place he coached a final four trip, and possibly a second one. Makes you wonder what kind of baggage goes along with this No. 1 class UK has coming in.
May 29, 200917 yr He thinks he's clever, but you can't sneak that by me. Don't bring that weak pun action in here! Twice now... You gotta watch RP... He's "wiery." :lol: I haven't been called "Wirey" since the 6th grade...haha
May 29, 200917 yr Here's a novel thought...what if Memphis put in a request to change their name to USC....would that wash away all wrongdoing in the NCAA's eyes?
May 29, 200917 yr Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that two guys he's recruited turned out to be low-character guys who cost the place he coached a final four trip, and possibly a second one. Makes you wonder what kind of baggage goes along with this No. 1 class UK has coming in.I don't see it as quite that clear-cut. Bottom line ... coaches can't watch every player 24/7 and can't always control who they choose to associate with. Camby hooked up with an agent. If there are any wrongdoings with Rose, it may be because of a family member. I don't know that those events fully paint those two as "low-character guys."
May 29, 200917 yr I don't see it as quite that clear-cut. Bottom line ... coaches can't watch every player 24/7 and can't always control who they choose to associate with. Camby hooked up with an agent. If there are any wrongdoings with Rose, it may be because of a family member. I don't know that those events fully paint those two as "low-character guys." Your correct. Its like the point-shaving scandal at UK with Groza and Beard. That event really upset Adolph Rupp and he did not speak to the 2 of them for like 20 years I believe. History will tell you Adolph Rupp had nothing to do with it. As for the current situation, the only thing that worries me about Calipari is how we are getting all these recruits. I hope we aren't doing anything wrong in getting them. The having 2 players with low character argument is pretty weak. Most would say Tubby Smith is a guy who went by the book and he coached players like Rashaad Carruth and Rekalin Sims. Thats not tainted his reputation. I could see either of them doing something stupid to get UK in trouble (although I hope they have their lives straightened out). My point every coach pretty much has had some bad apples.
May 29, 200917 yr Here's a novel thought...what if Memphis put in a request to change their name to USC....would that wash away all wrongdoing in the NCAA's eyes? Theres an idea! :lol:
May 29, 200917 yr Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that two guys he's recruited turned out to be low-character guys who cost the place he coached a final four trip, and possibly a second one. Makes you wonder what kind of baggage goes along with this No. 1 class UK has coming in. I would bet that almost every school in the country has 1 or 2 low character guys on their team in a SEASON. Not to mention how many they have had over a 20 or so year career.
May 29, 200917 yr I would advise you guys to read the DeCoursey article I posted in another thread. I believe, but may be wrong, that Cal spear-headed the self report of Camby while at UMass. In addition, I think there is some precedent as to not strip Memphis of their Final Four banner, because they had no idea that Rose supposedly cheated on his SAT. The clearinghouse cleared Rose. The precedent is the Myron Piggie-Corey Maggette-Duke case in which Duke did not know about the relationship and hence they were not stripped of their Final Four appearance.
May 29, 200917 yr Like it or not, this is two times now that Coach Cal has been directly linked to something fishy. It reflects poorly on Memphis and the NCAA, and most of all the kid who cheated, but it DEFINITELY reflects on Calipari. I love the blinders some people put on. If that is what you believe, how do you feel about: John Wooden. (Sam Gilbert ring a bell?) Adolph Rupp. (Point Shaving anyone?) Larry Brown. (UCLA and Kansas both went on probation after his tenures) Rick Pitino. (Hawaii got into some trouble while he was there if I recall.) John Oldham. (Western Kentucky had to vacate NCAA records because McDanniels had signed with an agent in '71.) Pete Carroll. (USC, Bush, enough said.) The list goes on and on.
May 29, 200917 yr Sure, but that doesn't change the fact that two guys he's recruited turned out to be low-character guys who cost the place he coached a final four trip, and possibly a second one. Makes you wonder what kind of baggage goes along with this No. 1 class UK has coming in.Coach K also recruited low-character guys. It happens and will continue to do so until the system gets changed. As long as the coach or nobody with the University is involved I have very little issues with it. http://www.nytimes.com/2000/07/12/sports/plus-basketball-maggette-admits-taking-payments.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Organizations/N/National%20Collegiate%20Athletic%20Assn
May 29, 200917 yr I would advise you guys to read the DeCoursey article I posted in another thread. I believe, but may be wrong, that Cal spear-headed the self report of Camby while at UMass. In addition, I think there is some precedent as to not strip Memphis of their Final Four banner, because they had no idea that Rose supposedly cheated on his SAT. The clearinghouse cleared Rose. The precedent is the Myron Piggie-Corey Maggette-Duke case in which Duke did not know about the relationship and hence they were not stripped of their Final Four appearance. I linked to it earlier on this page. Solid article.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.