May 28, 200917 yr :scared::scared::scared::scared: I've been waiting on this for the past 3 or 4 years. It will be interesting to see how Calipari responds to questions. If you remember during the Calipari press conference Barnhart mentioned that he had checked with the NCAA, and they had given a clean report on Calipari. This makes me wonder about that statement. That's the first thing I thought of. UK was adamant that they checked with the NCAA and there were no red flags...did somebody lie? Or is this just a case of the allegation/violation surfacing after the fact? Also, what if it proves to be true, but Calipari isn't/wasn't involved, other than having the player on his team? All I can say is...it figures. Nothing for over a decade, we checked with the NCAA and all was well...and then a week after we secure one of the best classes in college basketball history this story breaks. :puke: Oh well. At worst, we should have an entertaining squad next season.
May 28, 200917 yr Two problems: How did the Louisville fans stand up for Pitino? All we heard was there was no proof, you can't judge him until it is proven, yada, yada, yada. Two, there is no possible way Kentucky could be guilty in what is currently happening. Don't act like Hoosier and Cardinal fans are any different. Louisville stood behind Pitino like a rock. I also said it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Pitino had gone outside his marriage with Sypher. Who has said, "Oh, well I think Calipari might have known." Nobody... I never said KENTUCKY would be guilty of anything, but it's KENTUCKY'S coach. You people crack me up thinking that all this is no big deal. If he has ANOTHER Final Four vacated, I will love to see UK fans keep defending him. Where there's smoke...
May 28, 200917 yr I do agree, that in the end Calipari will come out smelling like a Rose (no pun)...but if Memphis does indeed have to vacate that Final Four..that'll be interesting at worst...that would mean Calipari has ZERO Final Fours on record. Then why did you capitalize rose?
May 28, 200917 yr UK President Lee T. Todd Jr. said basketball coach John Calipari told him during the coach's job interview about the NCAA investigation into allegations of major rule violations at the University of Memphis basketball program. "Yes. We knew about this," Todd said from Destin, where he is attending the Southeastern Conference Spring Meetings. Todd said university officials were confident that Calipari, who isn't named in the NCAA investigation report, did not do anything wrong while leading the University of Memphis team. "We still are," he said. Todd repeatedly referred to a statement the UK athletics department released late Wednesday after the Memphis Commercial Appeal first reported the NCAA investigations. The statement said "Coach Calipari was forthcoming with the University of Kentucky during the hiring process about any issues under investigation at the University of Memphis at that time." However, the statement didn't explicitly say whether Calipari told Todd about the NCAA investigation into allegations of academic fraud and improper spending of more than $2,000 on travel expenses for an associate of a Memphis player. The NCAA informed Memphis of their investigation on Jan. 16. "We certainly asked him if there was anything the NCAA was looking into," Todd said. "He was open about what he was aware of at the time." http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/810910.html
May 28, 200917 yr That's the first thing I thought of. UK was adamant that they checked with the NCAA and there were no red flags...did somebody lie? Or is this just a case of the allegation/violation surfacing after the fact? Also, what if it proves to be true, but Calipari isn't/wasn't involved, other than having the player on his team? All I can say is...it figures. Nothing for over a decade, we checked with the NCAA and all was well...and then a week after we secure one of the best classes in college basketball history this story breaks. :puke: Oh well. At worst, we should have an entertaining squad next season. Memphis was notified in Janurary about the incident. Cal told UK about it and the NCAA tells UK he has done nothing. What more could be said?
May 28, 200917 yr Memphis was notified in Janurary about the incident. Cal told UK about it and the NCAA tells UK he has done nothing. What more could be said? I posted before I finished the thread. :thumb: This doesn't sound like a major concern for UK other than more peripheral stuff associated with Coach Cal. Just a little more fodder for those suspicous of him. Hopefully, he's above board. As a UK fan, what else can be done but to accept the facts as they are...he's proven to be a very successful recruiter and coach with no major violations to date, but there's always something lurking in the neighborhood. Two points... 1. Those who are suspicous have a point. Vacated Final Four and now this... 2. Those who side with Cal do as well...Vacate Final Four and now this, yet the NCAA has acquitted him of wrongdoing in both cases. Considering how thorough they seem to be on investigations, if he were guilty of a serious violation, I'd have to think they'd have nailed him by now. Just my two cents. We won't know anything until the hammer drops, if it does. Might as well enjoy the ride...
May 28, 200917 yr :lol: He thinks he's clever, but you can't sneak that by me. Don't bring that weak pun action in here!
May 28, 200917 yr He thinks he's clever, but you can't sneak that by me. Don't bring that weak pun action in here! You gotta watch RP... He's "wiery." :lol:
May 28, 200917 yr ‘‘ [The NCAA] thinks that [former Simeon player Kevin Johnson] took [the SAT test] for him,” Luther Topps, who coached Rose’s club basketball team with Derrick’s brother Reggie, told the newspaper. Topps said he and Simeon coach Robert Smith don’t know anything firsthand. ‘‘[smith and I] didn’t know anything about his test,’’ Topps said. ‘‘Reggie moved me and him out of the way long before that, as soon as the money got involved.’’ http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/05/28/did-derrick-rose-cheat-on-his-sat/#more-17087
May 28, 200917 yr I posted before I finished the thread. :thumb: This doesn't sound like a major concern for UK other than more peripheral stuff associated with Coach Cal. Just a little more fodder for those suspicous of him. Hopefully, he's above board. As a UK fan, what else can be done but to accept the facts as they are...he's proven to be a very successful recruiter and coach with no major violations to date, but there's always something lurking in the neighborhood. Two points... 1. Those who are suspicous have a point. Vacated Final Four and now this... 2. Those who side with Cal do as well...Vacate Final Four and now this, yet the NCAA has acquitted him of wrongdoing in both cases. Considering how thorough they seem to be on investigations, if he were guilty of a serious violation, I'd have to think they'd have nailed him by now. Just my two cents. We won't know anything until the hammer drops, if it does. Might as well enjoy the ride... Nice take. I agree completely. :thumb:
May 28, 200917 yr ‘‘ [The NCAA] thinks that [former Simeon player Kevin Johnson] took [the SAT test] for him,” Luther Topps, who coached Rose’s club basketball team with Derrick’s brother Reggie, told the newspaper. Topps said he and Simeon coach Robert Smith don’t know anything firsthand. ‘‘[smith and I] didn’t know anything about his test,’’ Topps said. ‘‘Reggie moved me and him out of the way long before that, as soon as the money got involved.’’ http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/05/28/did-derrick-rose-cheat-on-his-sat/#more-17087 The alarming part of the story is "Reggie moved me and him out of the way long before that, as soon as the money got involved." Man, this is going to bad. I expect Memphis's final four season will be erased from the record books.
May 28, 200917 yr I heard rumblings during Rose's senior year that he was "going to the highest bidder" ... who knows if that's the case, but it does make one wonder why a kid from inner-city Chicago ends up at Memphis. Nothing against Calipari ... I like the guy and I think he's a pretty good coach, and I think he will win big at Kentucky. But this is a public relations issue for the program.
May 28, 200917 yr I can't help but think of the reaction if this were UL, IU, NC, or Duke's Coach? Would it still be no big deal? Probably not on here, other than to you, purple pride and the louisville fans. Why do you care so much if UK fans talk about their team more than they discuss Indiana, North Carolina, Louisville and Duke? It's going to happen, this is a Kentucky based website, so naturally Kentucky is going to be more discussed than the other powerhouse schools you mentioned-they do have the biggest fan base in the country.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.