NCAA allegations on D. Rose at Memphis

SSC

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Memphis was informed about this in January, why were they throwing everything, including the kitchen sink, for him to stay? Obviously, if it was that big of a deal...

I assume that it will pass over.

Funny how their counter offer was rejected, their recruits taken, and being basically raided by the Wildcats, that this is now a major violation.

Has a funny smell to it...

IMO opinion it "SMELLS" like we all know, but if he stays we'll cross that bridge...

I am not that concerned with no mention of institutional control. Unlike with Sutton and Mumme's situations where UK was found to have a lack of institutional control as one of the issues.

I probably will reserve a lot of judgement until more comes out. But since Memphis had this since January, I would think if they believed there was an issue with Calipari, they wouldn't have offered him more money and the NCAA would have advised UK that there was on ongoing investigation involving Coach Calipari. The next few months will be very interesting.

I am not that concerned with no mention of institutional control. Unlike with Sutton and Mumme's situations where UK was found to have a lack of institutional control as one of the issues.

I probably will reserve a lot of judgement until more comes out. But since Memphis had this since January, I would think if they believed there was an issue with Calipari, they wouldn't have offered him more money and the NCAA would have advised UK that there was on ongoing investigation involving Coach Calipari. The next few months will be very interesting.

I do agree, that in the end Calipari will come out smelling like a Rose (no pun)...but if Memphis does indeed have to vacate that Final Four..that'll be interesting at worst...that would mean Calipari has ZERO Final Fours on record.

The NCAA had cleared Cal of anything via an investigation into background of Calipari in their vetting stage.

Not pretty, but not really that concerned.

Memphis has known about this since January and has been sitting on it and as well tried to keep Cal from leaving.

He is not named in the issue.

Not pretty on the surface but I am not that concerned about it considering how anal UK is in regards to compliance.

Your optimism is understandable. But given UK's history, I would think you would be more skeptical.

It is also alleged that Memphis provided $2,260 in free travel to road games for an associate of a player. The NCAA is charging Memphis with a failure to monitor in that instance. Those names also were redacted in the report due to privacy laws.

I can't help but wonder who this "associate" is. Something tells me he's that "squeaky-clean" fellow who is excessively suspicious of the media showing interest in him and has lots of friends in high places.

I can't help but wonder who this "associate" is. Something tells me he's that "squeaky-clean" fellow who is excessively suspicious of the media showing interest in him and has lots of friends in high places.

That is nothing more than a hopeful assumption on your part. The most likely scenario is that it is someone associated with FedEx....

That is nothing more than a hopeful assumption on your part. The most likely scenario is that it is someone associated with FedEx....

I don't "hope" anything. I may not be a UK fan, but the college hoops world suffers when UK sucks. I'm a college hoops fan. I realize that's hard for most UK fans to understand, since most are just UK fans.

STATEMENT FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY

First and foremost, there are no NCAA allegations against UK Head Men's Basketball Coach John Calipari. Coach Calipari was forthcoming with the University of Kentucky during the hiring process about any issues under investigation at the University of Memphis at that time.

It is normal procedure for the NCAA to ask a former coach to participate in a hearing. Therefore, Coach Calipari will participate as requested.

Coach John Calipari has received a letter from the NCAA stating that he is not at risk of being charged with any NCAA violations in this case.

This is a University of Memphis issue and the University of Kentucky will not comment any further.

UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY MEN'S BASKETBALL COACH JOHN CALIPARI

"Even though I'm not at risk, I will fully cooperate with the NCAA hearing. Beyond that, I concur with the statement from the University of Kentucky and will have no further comment."

Just scrolled across the bottom line that Memphis is not expected to face any serious penalties....

The thing I find funny about this is that once again, the allegations only become public knowledge when Cal has left the school....To me that seems a bit odd.

Well I predict John Calpari steps down, UK loses Wall, Orton, Cousins, Dodson, Hood, and Patterson. Finishes the season 0-25 and Travis Ford is hired.

Your name isn't Pat Forde is it:lol:

Not as major as the University of Memphis will play it out to be. If it does indeed get serious enough to wipe away the final four season, then that makes two FF's Cal won't get credited for, and if he makes another at UK he would have been the only coach other than slick Rick to do so. Something to chew on, and both incidents involve the star player on each of the teams.

Also, there's a lot to the story that would determine whether Calipari would have any knowledge of this or not. If Rose took the SAT at his high school and someone at the school was the one who helped fraud a score, then how could he have known? If it was a SAT taken through the Memphis admissions department, then maybe he would have known. But in no way do I think it is a bias move to think this is not as major as the article makes it look. It is a Memphis site on the story, and like alluded to, if it was such a big deal and the school was informed in January, then I'm sure they wouldn't have been so dire to get Cal to stay. Although Cal tried to leave on a good note and do as much soothing as he can, the Memphis crowd has really held a grudge against John Cal, and you better believe they are going to try to pin as much of this on him as they can.

From ESPN:

"Sandy Bell and the compliance folks talked with the NCAA and checked records and facts," Barnhart said April 1 when Calipari was introduced at Kentucky. "David Price, other people at the high level with the NCAA, assured us how much they enjoyed working with John in that process.

"We have all had our critics about how we manage and lead our programs. For seven years I've had my share and I've been through it. Our commitment at the University of Kentucky to compliance and discipline has always been strong, and that will not change. John's commitment to compliance and discipline has always been strong, and that will not change."

Interestingly, Price, the NCAA vice president of enforcement, issued the NCAA document detailing the infractions which was sent to Memphis.