SSC

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Typical UK fan answer.....

The Corey Maggette-Myron Piggie situation had absolutely nothing to do with Coach K's character whatsoever. Bad choice in recruiting Maggette, sure, but that has nothing to do with Coach K or that Coach K committed any violations, or that Coach K knew about Maggette's poor decisions. What Maggette did and how the NCAA chose to deal with that is on them. The main difference in Maggette and Camby's cases is that Maggette took his money while in high school, Camby was in college when he took his money. I am not the NCAA so I can't answer why they didn't strip Duke of its 1999 Runner Up run. I guess that is the NCAA looking out for Duke because we all know everyone loves Duke and not UK.:rolleyes:

To even imply anything about that situation is sour grapes. Nothing is going to happen to UK in this, but all I am saying is be careful what you wish for. As soon as you guys hang up banner 8, you very well could be taking it down.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it's probably a duck.......

This is worse than ANY homer post I've seen by a Cat, Card, Hoosier, etc. :lol:

Typical UK fan answer.....

The Corey Maggette-Myron Piggie situation had absolutely nothing to do with Coach K's character whatsoever. Bad choice in recruiting Maggette, sure, but that has nothing to do with Coach K or that Coach K committed any violations, or that Coach K knew about Maggette's poor decisions. What Maggette did and how the NCAA chose to deal with that is on them. The main difference in Maggette and Camby's cases is that Maggette took his money while in high school, Camby was in college when he took his money. I am not the NCAA so I can't answer why they didn't strip Duke of its 1999 Runner Up run. I guess that is the NCAA looking out for Duke because we all know everyone loves Duke and not UK.:rolleyes:

To even imply anything about that situation is sour grapes. Nothing is going to happen to UK in this, but all I am saying is be careful what you wish for. As soon as you guys hang up banner 8, you very well could be taking it down.

If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck, then it's probably a duck.......

Thank you for proving every UK fan's argument about this whole situation:thumb:

Thank you for proving every UK fan's argument about this whole situation:thumb:

How am I proving anything? Memphis is probably going to lose their Final Four appearance and Calipari gets off scott free. The only point I am trying to make is that this is the second school Calipari has been at and something shady has gone down causing him to possibly lose both of the Fianl Fours he has been to. That is all I am saying.

How am I proving anything? Memphis is probably going to lose their Final Four appearance and Calipari gets off scott free. The only point I am trying to make is that this is the second school Calipari has been at and something shady has gone down causing him to possibly lose both of the Fianl Fours he has been to. That is all I am saying.

You said that because Coach K did not know about what happened, Duke did not deserve punishment. If Memphis and Coach Cal did not know that Rose cheated on the test, why do they deserve punishment? If they did, it's obviously a totally different matter

You said that because Coach K did not know about what happened, Duke did not deserve punishment. If Memphis and Coach Cal did not know that Rose cheated on the test, why do they deserve punishment? If they did, it's obviously a totally different matter

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I NEVER said Duke didn't deserve punishment. My whole stance on that issue(which I have never posted) is fine, take away the runner up finish. Big Deal, IMO. I said Coach K didn't know anything about Maggette receiving money while in high school. Had Coach K known, I'd bet my house that Maggette never would have stepped foot in Cameron Indoor Arena. Ask the NCAA why Duke isn't getting punished, not me.

Again, my whole point is this..........

This very well could be Cal's 2nd Final Four appearance that is stricken from the record books. He has been accused of being shady. His reputation is such that UK had to say at his introductory press conference that they checked with eh NCAA and he's clean and that Sandy Bell will be on her horse making sure he observes the rules. He wasn't even offered the job after Tubby because they were worried about his reputation. Now this pops up and I am not supposed to be suspicious? If I were a UK fan, I'd be worried. Like I said, sugarcoat it all you want, I hope that he keeps his nose clean or a better grasp on what is going on in his program because we all know nothing would be more embarassing than having to take a banner down that he won while at UK.

Hypothetical questions.....

1. If this report had come out before UK hired Calipari and before he brought one of the best recruiting classes ever to UK, would people still want Calipari? I know UK fans are the most rabid, win at all costs fans in the nation, but knowing that another school Calipari has been at is probably going to lose it's Final Four appearance, would you guys still want him?

2. Let's say the roles are reversed and Calipari is well respected and liked amongst his peers, media, corporations, etc. He has won 3 National Titles and runs one of the most respected college basketball programs at Major school A. Let's say Coach K is respected, but has only been to 2 Final Fours. The first Final Four he went to was taken away from the school because their star player was taking money from an agent which made him ineligible. Coach K eventually leaves that school and moves on to another. He takes this school to the Final Four also. His 2nd Final Four, but come to find out, his star player again is probably ineligible. He could end up losing his 2nd Final Four because once again, his star player could have been an ineligible player. Wouldn't you think that Coach K is probably a little shady? Maybe just a little?

Edited by PurplePride92

Took money=ineligible

Fradulant test=ineligble

Neither school knew. Why should Memphis pay penalty when Duke did not, or Kansas...see Darrel Arthur.

We are looking at present issue at hand.

The major violations in regards to hoops is a simple reimbursement of airfare, and Rose's test scores.

Everything is lumped into the major issues of golf program.

One is a high school issue....he was cleared through Clearinghouse...meaning he is good to go at Memphis.

Airfare is an administrative dealing.

Both Maggette and Rose (if indeed he cheated) should have been ineligible. Both participated in Final Fours, both schools claiming they did not know...Duke keeps theirs and Memphis is in danger of losing theirs?

Memphis shouldn't pay the penalty, but they likely will. The coach who was at Memphis at the time gets to move on to new challenges while Memphis is left to pick up the pieces and figure out what happened.

Refresher on the Piggie-Maggette-Duke issue.

My gist is to compare the fact that Maggette after the fact was an ineligible player and had signed a release saying he had not received any money prior to attending Duke. In fact he did and admitted to doing so after his days as a Dookie were done. Hence he was ineligible. Same thing with Rose.

Duke did not vacate Final Four. Why should Memphis?

Im not here to smear Duke, I am trying to show precedence.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=dw-ncaafavorites&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

You are absolutely right, Duke should be stripped of its 1999 Runner Up finish. IMO, whether the coach knows or not, he is at fault because all coaches should know exactly what is going on with each and every player. I hate how coaches can play ignorant and get off scott free, or worse, leave the school while the school gets punished. I just have a hard time believing that any coach of a major program like Duke or UK doesn't do their homework enough to know exactly what is going on with all of their players as soon as the recruitment process starts. They have the resources to find out where you were and who you are playing a game with on Saturday at 2:00 pm, but they can't find out if you are taking money illegally or didn't take your SAT? Sorry, but I am not buying that at all.

You are absolutely right, Duke should be stripped of its 1999 Runner Up finish. IMO, whether the coach knows or not, he is at fault because all coaches should know exactly what is going on with each and every player. I hate how coaches can play ignorant and get off scott free, or worse, leave the school while the school gets punished. I just have a hard time believing that any coach of a major program like Duke or UK doesn't do their homework enough to know exactly what is going on with all of their players as soon as the recruitment process starts. They have the resources to find out where you were and who you are playing a game with on Saturday at 2:00 pm, but they can't find out if you are taking money illegally or didn't take your SAT? Sorry, but I am not buying that at all.

His original point wasn't that coach K was wrong. It was that they probably won't take away the final four b/c Memphis knew nothing about it. He was bringing up the fact that Duke didn't get punished for somehting they didn't know about.

It's looking like the high school also changed his grades as well as other players. How can that me Calipari's fault if he knew nothing about it? It hurts his public perception, but as of now the story does nothing to hurt Calipari or Memphis. Memphis probably won't vacate the final four unless they suggest it so they don't face anything this year. It really isn't a big deal in the big picture. The NCAA went through everything they could get their hands on for a full year and essentially found that two flights weren't paid for by someone who paid for all of his other flights. UK fans should be happy about that.

Memphis shouldn't pay the penalty, but they likely will. The coach who was at Memphis at the time gets to move on to new challenges while Memphis is left to pick up the pieces and figure out what happened.

If they do lose it, then it is a travesty, because it is not really fair for them to retroactively go back and do this to their Final Four.

They had nothing to do with this.

There is precedence for them not to strip.

As the best beat writer in the college game told me..."Cal is seemingly judged by a different set of rules."

I'll go a step further...Memphis's case is on better footing than Duke's because Rose was cleared by NCAA Clearinghouse.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, I NEVER said Duke didn't deserve punishment. My whole stance on that issue(which I have never posted) is fine, take away the runner up finish. Big Deal, IMO. I said Coach K didn't know anything about Maggette receiving money while in high school. Had Coach K known, I'd bet my house that Maggette never would have stepped foot in Cameron Indoor Arena. Ask the NCAA why Duke isn't getting punished, not me.

Again, my whole point is this..........

This very well could be Cal's 2nd Final Four appearance that is stricken from the record books. He has been accused of being shady. His reputation is such that UK had to say at his introductory press conference that they checked with eh NCAA and he's clean and that Sandy Bell will be on her horse making sure he observes the rules. He wasn't even offered the job after Tubby because they were worried about his reputation. Now this pops up and I am not supposed to be suspicious? If I were a UK fan, I'd be worried. Like I said, sugarcoat it all you want, I hope that he keeps his nose clean or a better grasp on what is going on in his program because we all know nothing would be more embarassing than having to take a banner down that he won while at UK.

Ok i thought you were trying to compare the two. My bad.