Lincoln County at Highlands

RoadRunner

Who wins?  

257 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

UH, thats why I said "have a facility that would allow them..."

I am glad you think it is a better situation, you should being a Highlands fan.

I just think a program as prestiges and glorious as Highlands would have a situation where they would have enough room for bleachers on both sides of the stadium.

Honestly, I think you all have a unique stadium. Just not very practical or nice for visitors. Of course, when you are as good as Highlands, you don't worry about the opposition because you know you are going to beat them.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think a program as prestiges and glorious as Highlands would have a situation where they would have enough room for bleachers on both sides of the stadium.

Honestly, I think you all have a unique stadium. Just not very practical or nice for visitors. Of course, when you are as good as Highlands, you don't worry about the opposition because you know you are going to beat them.

I think most people said that about Dixie, until they built the new stadium. Honestly, at a couple of stadiums this year I have sat on the home side because the visitor's side was too low and didn't have enough seats. HHS' set up is much better for all fans, home and away.

If parking's your complaint...I'm with you. But there aren't very many stadiums that get you closer to the game than HHS...

Never really heard any complaints about seating, until now. I really think once you get to the stadium and see the seating arrangement, it isn't bad at all. I know at a couple of HHS away games some of the Birds fans went and sat in the home stands just because of poor seating on the visitors side. Really hope you enjoy your time spent in Ft Thomas Friday evening, should be a whale of a game. :thumb:

For the best aerial shots of Highlands goto:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.qhdm827yw546_2400%20Memorial%20Pkwy%2C%20Fort%20Thomas%2C%20KY%2041075-1528___&encType=1#JnE9eXAuMjQwMCttZW1vcmlhbCtwYXJrd2F5JTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiPTM5LjA4OTg2ODA2Mjc4NzElN2UtODQuNDQzNzg5NDY4OTQ4OCU3ZTM5LjA4NzY2NTY1MTcyNTIlN2UtODQuNDQ4MTQxODgwNjAwOQ==

Make sure you click on Birdseye view.

Aerial and Hybrid work well too. You can Pan around for the whole stadium etc.

BTW nothing you see is flat.

I posted this a few years ago, but let's take another trip down memory lane.

November 15, 1981

Excerpts from an article written by Larry Vaught in the Kentucky Advocate on November 15, 1981:

The “little” things made a “big” difference to Lincoln County. “There were a lot of little things that we did wrong and they cost us.” said Lincoln County mentor Don Wooldridge after his team lost 14-0 to Ft. Thomas Highlands here Friday night in the Class AAA Football quarterfinals. “When you get to this point of the season, the little things determine who wins and who loses.

“We preached to the kids all week that we could not turn the ball over against Highlands. And we also had penalties and missed tackles that hurt. We just did what I knew we couldn’t do if we hoped to win.”

Highlands, a seven-time state champion, scored on its first possession of the contest by driving the football 68 yards in 13 plays to open the game. The winners added another score late in the fourth period but in between had trouble penetrating the rugged Lincoln defense.

“I was awful proud of our defense,” admitted Wooldridge, who watched his team lose for the first time in 13 outings. “I thought we played about as good a defense as a team could play against them.”

Lincoln limited Highlands to 193 total yards, 148 on the ground and 45 in the air. Unfortunately, the Patriot offense was not even that effective. The losers rushed for only 64 yards and added 68 in the air for a total of 132 yards. And 58 of that came in the final period.

“Their defense is big and never let us get outside,” admitted Wooldridge. “That’s where we have run all year and we kept trying tonight.”

Still, Lincoln had a chance to win the game and claim its first regional football championship. The Pats trailed only 6-0 at halftime and late in the third period started what appeared to be a possible game winning march. Four runs by Senior quarterback Eric Givens, who was pressured by the Highlands defense from start to finish, and a personal foul penalty on the winners moved the ball from the Lincoln 20 to the Highlands 45.

A pass to Pete Penman netted 11 yards before Donelle Smith ran 11 yards to the 23. Then, it all came to an end.

On first down, junior reserve Gary Wilkinson fumbled the ball and the winners recovered at the 18 with 10:54 to play.

The Patriot defense gave the loser one final chance, though, by throwing Highlands quarterback Jim Abner for a 12 yard lass on second down. That enabled Lincoln to regain possession at the Bluebirds 47.

The Pats used four downs to gain a first down at the 32 before disaster struck again. Givens, who completed only 5 of 15 passes, dropped back to pass. He fumbled as he was hit, failed to pick up the loose ball and the winners recovered at midfield.

Twelve plays later junior tailback John Bankemper, who gained 114 yards, scored his second touchdown on a six-yard run with 3:16 to play. Abner ran for the two-point conversion.

“We just hung in there when we had to and came out with a win”, said Highlands coach Bill Herrmann. “Really, I didn’t think we played all that well. We didn’t respect this team enough but we did do a decent job of containing their quickness.

“We just made a lot of mistakes that wouldn’t be noticeable to most people. Luckily, our defense hung tough when our offense sputtered. But we are going to have to play much better if we hope to win the state title.”

Wooldridge insisted mistakes were the key to the contest. He pointed to his team’s four turnovers as compared to one by the winners.

Givens, Lincoln’s big play producer all season, was never able to crack the Highlands defense, which started 11 juniors. He was never able to scramble free for a big run and had trouble hitting his receivers until the fourth period.

“Pete (Penman) beat them deep four times but we never got him the ball until the final minutes.” But to show what kind of game it was for Lincoln, Penman dropped the one long pass Givens threw to him. He was wide open and would have scored easily. But the ball slipped harmlessly out of his grasp.

Hermann, though had kind words for the losers. “They had nothing to be ashamed of,” said Herrmann. “Any team that goes 12-0 is tough and we knew that. I really thought they played well but a couple of fumbles really hurt them. But I really feel they are the best team we have played this year except for Campbell County (a 4-A team).”

I posted this a few years ago, but let's take another trip down memory lane.

That was pretty cool to read. Bankemper and Abner a couple household names in Fort Thomas with very good blood lines.

I am a junkie for that stuff, anybody have any links to Northern Kentucky Sports information from the past?

For the best aerial shots of Highlands goto:

http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.qhdm827yw546_2400%20Memorial%20Pkwy%2C%20Fort%20Thomas%2C%20KY%2041075-1528___&encType=1#JnE9eXAuMjQwMCttZW1vcmlhbCtwYXJrd2F5JTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJiPTM5LjA4OTg2ODA2Mjc4NzElN2UtODQuNDQzNzg5NDY4OTQ4OCU3ZTM5LjA4NzY2NTY1MTcyNTIlN2UtODQuNDQ4MTQxODgwNjAwOQ==

Make sure you click on Birdseye view.

Aerial and Hybrid work well too. You can Pan around for the whole stadium etc.

BTW nothing you see is flat.

If I remember right, the building that is adjacent to the north endzone was a parking lot the last time I was there and it was lower than the field.

Is that right?

I think this is a unique and more-than-sufficient football stadium. The Lincoln County fan attempting to cut on HHS' stadium does not speak for the rest of us.

Win, lose or bloody nose, I am looking forward to coming back there.

That was pretty cool to read. Bankemper and Abner a couple household names in Fort Thomas with very good blood lines.

I am a junkie for that stuff, anybody have any links to Northern Kentucky Sports information from the past?

How about 11 Juniors starting on defense for the HHS team? They were very, very good.

Uh, if you been there you'd know the field is landlocked. Just where do you propose we put the visitors seats?

Frankly, I think the Highlands situation is much better for visiting fans than at a lot of places where they provide the visiting fans about 8 rows of seats that are so low you have a hard time seeing over the fans. We provide the visiting fans with seats that are as every bit as good as the seats the home fans sit in.

Is the visiting team sideline the same side as the stands?

Oh come on. You want us to move the field to somewhere else in town away from the school (and there really isn't anywhere readily available in town even if we were to want to do it) or to tear down our school building to put in visitors seats, when under the current layout the visitors seats are every bit as good as the home fans' seats? I'm not even close to understanding why you don't think the current layout is not nice or practical for the visiting fans. Its as nice and practical for the visiting fans as it is for the home fans.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Highlands (arrogance of fans, the visiting team sideline area) but I've never heard anyone complain about the visiting fans seats. That's a new one.

I hope you are right in your prediction that we are going to win. :jump:

At approximately 11:20 am today there was a sighting. The "hat lady" was walking down N Ft Thomas Ave. with a very desheveled umbrella and the top hat was a backwards Jimmy Johnson hat. She had big wood platform shoes on and a short summer skirt. Her bottom hat covered her face. I really thought that all of you were joking until I saw it for myself. That is a train wreck!

I would also like to chime in on the stands situation.

1. Our bleachers provide an optimum seat to see the entire field of play no matter where you sit.

2. These so-called new and improved stadiums that we went to were the ones with the worst seating. I know that it is due to zoning and some other issues brought to my attention by sandman(thank you by the way). But if that's the new style stadium, I don't want one.

3. Still a fan of exploring the idea of a bowl stadium in death valley. Has anyone ever taken a serious look at that? It would then provide all that space where the existing field is to put a new Gym, more classrooms etc.