Unity of Coaches

Philip Hay

I'm personally not for Item #1...1. Schools will now be able to do passing league tournaments and work with other schools from July 10 to July 31

As this will take away more Baseball time, for student-athletes who want to play both or must choose. Allowing out of season sports, to organize and run programs during the time frame, when student-athletes play summer baseball, will not help the already problem of limited time.

Baseball doesn't get time during Basketball and Football, but yet both have structured time during Baseball. Summer is for baseball and it would be no different, if KHSBCA wanted time in October or November for Baseball.

Many youth programs are already struggling with numbers, participation because they're players are choosing these other out-of-season sports. Traveling teams are becoming more predominant than summer youth leagues, because these kids want to play but dwindling numbers, won't allow for leagues...enough is enough.

Run your programs during your own season and leave Baseball alone.

There is no reason that the 2 respective coaches for each shouldnt work together to ensure that kids dont have to make a choice. Both coaches have to be reasonable and try to share the athletes. Practices, passing leaques, etc, can be scheduled around each other if the coaches will work together and realize that they are there for the kids...not the kids there for them. I would hope that educated adults have the ability to work together for what is best for the players!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

September is high school football season. July is Not high school baseball season. The two are apples and oranges.

C'mon Camel, re-read your post. If September is high school football season, then July is not high school football season. Those IMO are the apples and oranges.

IMO, it comes down to this. Each sport tries to extend the time for their athletes to be better at said sport. Baseball has done it the longest, summer baseball has been around forever. Then basketball and AAU has extended into the summer and beyond. As a rule, I'd guess football has done this the least, and that seems to be the agenda of these coaches. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that like S3, I think there will have to be more choices made by baseball players, and AAU basketball players for that matter about whether or not to attend "passing league".

C'mon Camel, re-read your post. If September is high school football season, then July is not high school football season. Those IMO are the apples and oranges.

IMO, it comes down to this. Each sport tries to extend the time for their athletes to be better at said sport. Baseball has done it the longest, summer baseball has been around forever. Then basketball and AAU has extended into the summer and beyond. As a rule, I'd guess football has done this the least, and that seems to be the agenda of these coaches. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that like S3, I think there will have to be more choices made by baseball players, and AAU basketball players for that matter about whether or not to attend "passing league".

State Mandatory football practice goes from July 16th until you are knocked out of the playoffs. Therefore, July in football season IMO.

Out of school activities? You mean AAU , Legion or related teams, etc? They are made up of HS athletes at that level now, except football. Anymore you can play baseball 9 months out of the year, including fall ball and indoor batting and fielding practice in the winter. Basketball is worse because you have fall training, summer leagues, team camps, AAU, individual summer camps, the regular season, etc. You can almost get something together 10-11 mos a year.

Although football may have a 2 week spring practice (exempt for multi sport athletes)and passing leagues during the summer, there is less preparation for live games than the other sports and it certainly takes much more coordination and timing to execute on the football field than let's say basketball. When dead period ends football should begin especially since the season starts so much earlier in the school year. Soccer should have the same concession.

I think we are in agreement.

Out of school activities? You mean AAU , Legion or related teams, etc? They are made up of HS athletes at that level now, except football. Anymore you can play baseball 9 months out of the year, including fall ball and indoor batting and fielding practice in the winter. Basketball is worse because you have fall training, summer leagues, team camps, AAU, individual summer camps, the regular season, etc. You can almost get something together 10-11 mos a year.

Although football may have a 2 week spring practice (exempt for multi sport athletes)and passing leagues during the summer, there is less preparation for live games than the other sports and it certainly takes much more coordination and timing to execute on the football field than let's say basketball. When dead period ends football should begin especially since the season starts so much earlier in the school year. Soccer should have the same concession.

Perhaps where you come from football is limited, but I can assure you, here in No. Ky. football is year-round at most programs. Weights, conditioning, passing camps, 7-on-7 etc. JUST LIKE OTHER SPORTS. Nobody is exactly exempt from this argument. And just as a side note, between club soccer, indoor, etc., soccer does have the same consideration.

There is no reason that the 2 respective coaches for each shouldn't work together to ensure that kids don't have to make a choice. Both coaches have to be reasonable and try to share the athletes. Practices, passing leagues, etc, can be scheduled around each other if the coaches will work together and realize that they are there for the kids...not the kids there for them. I would hope that educated adults have the ability to work together for what is best for the players!
Great comment....I agree with you on the coaches working together, which is critical and inevitably there will be choices, for those student-athletes who excel in multiply sports.

The overlapping sports seasons, is getting more and more. Golf season is very short and ends too quickly. We all enjoy watching Football but playing in 100°± is physically demanding and dangerous, for HS age players. Starting Baseball Feb. 15th, is not logical either, as most can't utilize their own facilities for practice, cage and arm conditioning.

There has to be a balance of seasons, minimal overlap and not extending into another sport or summer youth programs. I'll offer this, remember the days of sandlot fields and neighborhood games....are they being replaced with concrete and steel. Kids schedules anymore, are more structured that working professionals.

Most the times when basketball and baseball coaches talk about working together it is really just football living with what they want to do. Baseball has no off season, Spring for High school, Summer league, Fall ball, Really the months of December and January are the only true off time.

So let me get this straight, college baseball coaches are the only ones whose season correlates with their high school counterparts? The way it is set up, and I think I'm correct on this, is that colleges and high schools play their sports during, roughly, the same time frames. The summer is a time when a lot of colleges host their HS passing tourneys and basketball team/individual camps. Nothing is mandatory in the summer so the kids should just choose the sport(s) that they are best suited for in college and focus on that one in the summer while still trying to participate with their other HS teams. At least that is the way that I see it.

So let me get this straight, college baseball coaches are the only ones whose season correlates with their high school counterparts? The way it is set up, and I think I'm correct on this, is that colleges and high schools play their sports during, roughly, the same time frames. The summer is a time when a lot of colleges host their HS passing tourneys and basketball team/individual camps. Nothing is mandatory in the summer so the kids should just choose the sport(s) that they are best suited for in college and focus on that one in the summer while still trying to participate with their other HS teams. At least that is the way that I see it.
Not at all, but College baseball plays on Wed and Fri.-Sun, while most College Football games are Saturday, which would allow some recruiting coordinator, to view within a reasonable drive.

Summer as discussed, is often set aside for camps, showcase and combines for Baseball and Football. All of which, are critical in the student-athlete evaluation.

As for it not being mandatory, perhaps not unless you are vying for a spot, or you're already a WR or QB, that could lose his position to someone of similar talent, who can attend.

My point being, there is a reason schools dismiss for summer and have no school. There is a reason, like it or not, that KHSAA has ByLaws regarding season limits. So increasing these time frames, to include more and more structured HS organized practices, will force some not all to specialize even more during the summer. Something none of us adults, should want to have happen.

If you're a HS Baseball player and want to get seen, attending summer camps, traveling teams is a must. During the season, games are being played simultaneously and hard to get observed.

I respectfully disagree...If a kid can truly play he'll get noticed.

I do agree baseball gets the short end of ALL sticks.

These are just season days, not counting summer camp times or spring practice...passing leagues.

Baseball---Feb 15-June 5-----approx. 110 days

Basketball--Oct 15-March 15--approx. 150 days

Football---July 15-Dec 5----- approx 143 days

Got to remember guys Basketball is the KHSAA cash cow...they get what they want.

If you have a kid that good, then it is your job to make sure that he gets seen....and guess what I bet that they will come and watch him play during HS baseball season.

I agree with Bulldog on this point. And I know firsthand on why a kid should go to camps for baseball. Don't always rely on your head coach. The kid and his parents are the ones that need to make it happen.

I agree Fall baseball is just way too much for kids for example, and some kids play that because they are told that's what they need to do in order to play varsity next spring. I know a kid that quit football because he was told that for baseball and he was the backup catcher for 3 years, he never saw the baseball field and would have been a good football player. Those things happen in football and basketball also I know, but still all these other leagues kill the kids because they are FORCED to make decisions they shouldn't have to make.

I can see the point for the Fall baseball. But, most kids that play Fall baseball don't play any other sport or are trying out to see if they have what it takes to play baseball. I know of a couple of kids that played Fall baseball and ended up being pretty good on the HS varsity level. And, I know of two coaches that don't coach baseball that have told their kids if they go and play baseball, they won't have a spot on his team. No coach, no matter what sport, should ever tell a kid not to play anything, NEVER.

One last thing, I want all of you BGP'ers to do a little research. Go to every DI, DII, DIII, NAIA, and NJCAA sports websites and take a look at the top 3 sports rosters. You may be surprised at what you'll find.

There is no reason that the 2 respective coaches for each shouldnt work together to ensure that kids dont have to make a choice. Both coaches have to be reasonable and try to share the athletes. Practices, passing leaques, etc, can be scheduled around each other if the coaches will work together and realize that they are there for the kids...not the kids there for them. I would hope that educated adults have the ability to work together for what is best for the players!

That won't happen. What would end up happening is the kid would have to choose one ans end up not being able to play both. No way will the football coach will have it nor the AD.

High school baseball does end in June. But there are travel teams, Babe Ruth, LL, AABC, and others that do play well into July. What it comes down to is, does the kid whose baseball team is in the LL tournament leave to play in a football Passing League, or stay and be apart of something that most kids don't have a chance to. I know that there are football coaches out there that would excuse that player. But, there are those that will not.

That won't happen. What would end up happening is the kid would have to choose one ans end up not being able to play both. No way will the football coach will have it nor the AD.

High school baseball does end in June. But there are travel teams, Babe Ruth, LL, AABC, and others that do play well into July. What it comes down to is, does the kid whose baseball team is in the LL tournament leave to play in a football Passing League, or stay and be apart of something that most kids don't have a chance to. I know that there are football coaches out there that would excuse that player. But, there are those that will not.

You are quite right there, but my personal experience has been there are more that will work with you if you are up front and approach them, than there are those who will not. I admit, I've been burned by a coach or two that turned colors after I left them, but the vast majority that I have encountered were quite workable. A good coach understands that good athletes will usually play multiple sports and would rather not risk losing them over being bullheaded.