Unity of Coaches

Philip Hay

I get tired of this with Baseball and Basketball.

7 on 7 is like saying baseball you can only hit no fielding, basketball only free throw competition.

Three days in the summer and no practice for it is what our coach did. We worked out and ran all summer, I think that a lot of others think that this is just in footbal and calling it practice. If your baseball and basketball teams are not lifting and running then thats why there not very good. But don't call that football practice.

We could go on forever. So I'm done.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a kid that good, then it is your job to make sure that he gets seen....and guess what I bet that they will come and watch him play during HS baseball season.

WRONG. With all due respect you are dead wrong on this one. What do you think college baseball coaches are doing during the High School baseball season? They're coaching their own teams because that is their college season as well. Collegiate baseball coaching staffs are no where near the size of collegiate football or basketball staffs. If there are two people they're doing pretty well, a third is almost unheard of.

While I don't propose to have the definitive answer here, I will say that no situation involving young athletes can be an all or nothing proposition. I have had great success working with other coaches in other sports and even from other schools to help student athletes play multiple sports, and with a high degree of skill to boot!! It is the mentality that some on here show, that (insert whatever sport you love) is THE MOST important and all others are secondary, that creates the problems for the students. Football does NOT require year-round workouts anymore than basketball or baseball. And, how in the world can someone earlier say you can just walk in and play basketball and baseball without preparation? Mutiple sports create multiple opportunities for students AND teaches them the things they are SUPPOSED to be getting from participation: competitiveness, sportsmanship, winning and losing with class and dignity, handling pressure.

Yeah, I agree, those baseball scholarships you receive from summer exposure are truly overrated, who wants their education paid for anyway?:creepy:

Ever tried to compare baseball schloraship money to football schlorship money, it isn,t even close unless you are at a big time baseball school.

WRONG. With all due respect you are dead wrong on this one. What do you think college baseball coaches are doing during the High School baseball season? They're coaching their own teams because that is their college season as well. Collegiate baseball coaching staffs are no where near the size of collegiate football or basketball staffs. If there are two people they're doing pretty well, a third is almost unheard of.

While I don't propose to have the definitive answer here, I will say that no situation involving young athletes can be an all or nothing proposition. I have had great success working with other coaches in other sports and even from other schools to help student athletes play multiple sports, and with a high degree of skill to boot!! It is the mentality that some on here show, that (insert whatever sport you love) is THE MOST important and all others are secondary, that creates the problems for the students. Football does NOT require year-round workouts anymore than basketball or baseball. And, how in the world can someone earlier say you can just walk in and play basketball and baseball without preparation? Mutiple sports create multiple opportunities for students AND teaches them the things they are SUPPOSED to be getting from participation: competitiveness, sportsmanship, winning and losing with class and dignity, handling pressure.

Sir, Basketball and Baseball can be played without practicing much easier than Football, that's what I said and it's the truth. You see a lot of kids playing those sports on their own because you don't have to practice it as much. I agree practice is important for those sports don't get me wrong but as far as preparation and practice there is no comparing the three sports. I believe many people will agree with that. You are entitled to your own opinion but come on you can't just show up and play football like you could basketball and baseball. :creepy:

Sir, Basketball and Baseball can be played without practicing much easier than Football, that's what I said and it's the truth. You see a lot of kids playing those sports on their own because you don't have to practice it as much. I agree practice is important for those sports don't get me wrong but as far as preparation and practice there is no comparing the three sports. I believe many people will agree with that. You are entitled to your own opinion but come on you can't just show up and play football like you could basketball and baseball. :creepy:

I never said you could with football. Never even intimated it. And I also know foir a fact you cannot do it in the other two either. Pick-up games of basketball or baseball, just like pick-up football games, are hardly comparable to organized competition in any sport.

Ever tried to compare baseball schloraship money to football schlorship money, it isn,t even close unless you are at a big time baseball school.

Okay, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here and simply guess you've missed my point entirely. Again, it has nothing to do with scholarships available at said university. I was making a point towards what can be seen by a college coach with regards to potential players who can be college athletes. A poster above stated that professional baseball aspirations are a pipe dream and silly due to the $ given minor leaguers. My point is that summer is more important to baseball players with regards to potential college scholarships as has been outlined by others since my post. And FWIW, the # of scholarships available at any university who has both baseball and football are universal. The NCAA made sure of that, so your point about "big time baseball schools" doesn't make sense. There are limits scholarship-wise regardless of your program success.

I'm going to disagree with you statement, about being easier to play, without much practice.....wow.

What aspect of Football, is harder to acquire...tackling, blocking, throwing, receiving? The preparation, is related to a game plan which is needed in all sports.

I've been around sports a long time, seen many games and I can't think of any of the above sports, you can show up and be affective in HS, with limited or no practice.

The issue is, Football increasing their practice time and cutting into Baseball during the summer for me. Be the same issue, if Basketball had 10 days of 5-on-5 during September during Football...not good.

I'm personally not for Item #1...1. Schools will now be able to do passing league tournaments and work with other schools from July 10 to July 31

As this will take away more Baseball time, for student-athletes who want to play both or must choose. Allowing out of season sports, to organize and run programs during the time frame, when student-athletes play summer baseball, will not help the already problem of limited time.

Baseball doesn't get time during Basketball and Football, but yet both have structured time during Baseball. Summer is for baseball and it would be no different, if KHSBCA wanted time in October or November for Baseball.

Many youth programs are already struggling with numbers, participation because they're players are choosing these other out-of-season sports. Traveling teams are becoming more predominant than summer youth leagues, because these kids want to play but dwindling numbers, won't allow for leagues...enough is enough.

Run your programs during your own season and leave Baseball alone.

I thought HS baseball started in Feb or March? Then there is "summer" ball and don't forget "fall" ball. To say "summer is for baseball" strikes a chord with me.

What % of high school football players in KY get a)full scholarship or b)any scholarship? The majority play D3 football.

I'm going to disagree with you statement, about being easier to play, without much practice.....wow.

What aspect of Football, is harder to acquire...tackling, blocking, throwing, receiving? The preparation, is related to a game plan which is needed in all sports.

I've been around sports a long time, seen many games and I can't think of any of the above sports, you can show up and be affective in HS, with limited or no practice.

The issue is, Football increasing their practice time and cutting into Baseball during the summer for me. Be the same issue, if Basketball had 10 days of 5-on-5 during September during Football...not good.

September is high school football season. July is Not high school baseball season. The two are apples and oranges.

I thought HS baseball started in Feb or March? Then there is "summer" ball and don't forget "fall" ball. To say "summer is for baseball" strikes a chord with me.
Summer is for Baseball, in youth programs, which I stated before. What's going to eventually happen, is student-athletes are going to have to choose, which sport they play at an earlier age. The proposal to abolish non-school participation, is just one more step. You'll find more kids or student-athletes, playing summer Baseball, than you will playing Football in June/July, that is until the season start or allowable time, keeps getting pushed up.

September is high school football season. July is Not high school baseball season. The two are apples and oranges.
I'm not speaking in regard to HS Baseball in July, but rather the summer and youth programs. Here's my point, Johnny wakes up and has to decide. He has a "Passing League" practice/scrimmage at 6:00 or he can play in a "summer baseball game", in which scouts are around. Now if he's a WR or QB, is he going to miss the passing league and play baseball....which does he choose, especially if he has the potential to play college baseball but can't get or has limited exposure/camp time.

perfectly said.

I'm personally not for Item #1...1. Schools will now be able to do passing league tournaments and work with other schools from July 10 to July 31

As this will take away more Baseball time, for student-athletes who want to play both or must choose. Allowing out of season sports, to organize and run programs during the time frame, when student-athletes play summer baseball, will not help the already problem of limited time.

Baseball doesn't get time during Basketball and Football, but yet both have structured time during Baseball. Summer is for baseball and it would be no different, if KHSBCA wanted time in October or November for Baseball.

Many youth programs are already struggling with numbers, participation because they're players are choosing these other out-of-season sports. Traveling teams are becoming more predominant than summer youth leagues, because these kids want to play but dwindling numbers, won't allow for leagues...enough is enough.

Run your programs during your own season and leave Baseball alone.

A dedicated athlete should never place an out of school activity over his school sport. Football season starts in July. It has for years. I don't understand how you can expect anything different.

Out of school activities? You mean AAU , Legion or related teams, etc? They are made up of HS athletes at that level now, except football. Anymore you can play baseball 9 months out of the year, including fall ball and indoor batting and fielding practice in the winter. Basketball is worse because you have fall training, summer leagues, team camps, AAU, individual summer camps, the regular season, etc. You can almost get something together 10-11 mos a year.

Although football may have a 2 week spring practice (exempt for multi sport athletes)and passing leagues during the summer, there is less preparation for live games than the other sports and it certainly takes much more coordination and timing to execute on the football field than let's say basketball. When dead period ends football should begin especially since the season starts so much earlier in the school year. Soccer should have the same concession.