Everything posted by madduxace
-
Ashland Area; All-Area Team since 1990.
All division 1 schools are allowed 11.7 scholarships to be divided up how the coach wants. You are 100 percent correct all that matters is getting kids into the classroom at the college level.
-
Ashland Area; All-Area Team since 1990.
Baseball far outnumbers football or basketball scholarships.
-
16th Region MVP Last 25 Years
I think you are missing the point about Mayo. He was not better as a freshman than the rest of the other guys mentioned were as seniors. Did he have a better HS career, YES! in Ohio and West Virginia. Frank played at Marshall under Billy Donovan for a year and did very well as a true freshman on a team with Jason Williams. His acedemics is what cost him, not playing ability.
-
16th Region MVP Last 25 Years
For the past 25 years many great players have been in the 16th region. However the top three in terms of an MVP are propably a no brainer: 3.Mike Scott: The most dominant big man. I can not think of anyone around here to have his size. Fit perfectly in Randy Wards offense. 2.Frank Lee: Frank is propably the best basketball player this region has seen in the last 25 years that has played his entire elgibility here.( Frank and the other ones on this list were better than OJ was in his time in the region, not after he transfered) Not to mention Frank played on a teams with great players and could have averaged 30+ if he wanted. His teams schedule were against some of the better teams in the state. 1. Kelly Wells: Most people forget to mention him due to being at Rowan County. His teams won three consecutive region titles and without him they win none. He was a very good at all aspects of the game esp. shooting. He also went to Tulsa for a year with none other than Tubby Smith as his coach. Later he transfered back to MSU. Honorable Mention: Marty Thomas: Ashland Chris Jones: Russell Mark Surgalski: Ashland
-
Someone needs to quit going to the buffet...
Just a little thing compared to Mangino from Kansas
-
Someone needs to quit going to the buffet...
Just a little thing compared to Mangino from Kansas
-
Lawrence County Head Coaching Position Officially Open!
Me neither, I only posted a question as to IF his name had been mentioned and I think he will be a great head coach one day if he wants to.
-
Lawrence County Head Coaching Position Officially Open!
Coach Goldsmith should always be considered with the greatest respect for what he did at LCHS. He is the coach that I remember in the early 90's when LCHS first started their great run. I know that Coach Gary Morris from Russell got his start at LCHS in the early 90's as their offensive coordinator. In my personal opinion he is should be at the top of anyones list when a head coaching job comes open. Not to say he would leave where he is at, but I was wondering if his name has been mentioned?
-
Rate the coaches in the 16th
This is a no brainer. I think we have many great coaches in this region however Roger Zornes has multiple region titles. I am not sure how many but I know he won it in 90, 94,95,98,99,00. Not to mention a state runner-up in Ohio. Not even a Boyd Co. person but his resume speaks for itself.
-
Top 10 Players in the 16th
The Boyd Co. teams of 90"s. Especially the 94 team that got beat in the quarterfinals by 2 or 3 to Dunbar. If it had not been for a questionable charge call they should have won that game. Dunbar goes on to get beat by Faidale in the championship by 2 or 3. That team was easily a top 5 in the state and considered a tournament favorite behind Dunbar and Faidale. I know they won over 30 games that year.
-
Best Junior Lineman in the State
I second that. Seth gets my vote plus he is a GREAT kid and his dad is one of my favorite people. I only hope Seth realizes his potential. Being 6'6 320 he has every opportunity to get a free $100,000 education. If Seth can realize this and lose about 20lbs and improve his agility, strength, and speed he will be flat out a man among boys.
-
Unity of Coaches
perfectly said.
-
Russell vs Boyd County predicitions
Nate Mcpeek
-
Full ride in baseball?
Great article and how true it is. I have always said the same thing. Title IX is a double edged sword. Great for women sports and has opened up many opportunities for women sports. It has 100% discriminated against baseball. How is it fair for D1 baseball teams to be given only 11.7 scholarships when it requires a 30 man roster to play. Basketball and Softball teams are given the same amount when it requires only 15 or so to fill a roster. ( fewer in Basketball). I agree with the amount of scholarships with softball and basketball I just think they need to up the scholarships in baseball because of the amount of roster spots needed to fill a team.
-
Full ride in baseball?
That pretty much nails the question. Mostly pitchers or catchers get the highest athletic scholarship money. Also the scholarships are renewable each year. So a student athlete can get their money decreased or increased depending upon performance on the field or classroom.
-
American Legion State Tournament
Good luck to Paducha. They will represent this great state well. It sounds like they have a good chance to go the world series. Pitching is 85% of baseball and it sounds like they are loaded.
-
Need some coaching advice on teaching pickoff moves.
Make sure to stress that they do not drop their elbow. Most H.S kids first move is to lower their elbow then throw. This allows for too much time and the runner will always beat the throw back. It needs to be almost like a catchers release after the pivot. ( This is of course RH pitchers to first or second)
-
Russell's future coach
It will be a very tough act to follow, however I hope it is Coach Morris. He is one of the best defensive coordinators in the entire state regardless of classification. Not to mention he is a better person than he is a coach and I think ALOT of him as a coach! He would be a role model for any parent to have their child play for.
-
Fans Pre-Season Top 10 - Class 3A
You make some good points, however Seth would have done a heck of a lot more than adequate. He is a potential D1 prospect and anytime a team loses a player that has that ability it will hurt their chances. With all that being said I agree that Russell will be fine. They have a great coach and what I feel is one of the best defensive coordinators in the state in Coach Morris.
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
If I am not mistaken I believe Frank Lee was as a junior and a finalist for Mr. Basketball as a senior. That is what amazes me when no one even mentions this guy in discusions. He averaged 10-15 as a fresman, 20+ the rest of his years. Plus he played with great players as well which makes it even more impressive or he could have averaged 30+. His teams won back to back regions. Not even a Boyd Co. person but it is obvious he is one of the 5 best to play in the region of all time.
-
The Most Underrated Players in Your School's History
You are 100 percent correct. I was not yet in high school but remeber watching him play. Had a great post presence and played like he was 6'7. My first state tournament game I witnessed was the Greenup Co. and Bowling Green quarterfinals that year. He put on a dominant first half and if Greenup Co. would have kept feeding the him the ball in the second half they would have been playing on Saturday Morning.
-
Dead Period Baseball
No coach who was affiliated with them in High school is allowed to have contact or coach during this period. I totaly agree the dead period should be sport specific in its periods.
-
Your Regions All Time Basketball Team
All these are great players but I would think that Frank Lee or Marty Thomas would have to have a roster spot. Especialy Frank who was a Mr. Basketball finalist. He is the most explosive player that has come through the 16th region I have seen. Plus he had a great supporting cast or could have averaged 35+ every night if he had to.
-
Prayers for Coach Charlie Adkins
My prayers go out to one of the best Baseball coaches of all time In the State of Ky. Although I never had the HONOR to play for him. I am sure those who did cherish what he taught them. To Quote one of my former coaches " I would rather you respect me than like me!" Coach Adkins is one of the most respected men to ever coach! I pray he beats this and can pass on his knowledge some more.
-
Pitcher Workouts
Proper long tossing is the key to gaining arm strength. ( I stress the word proper). I am also a firm believer that flexibility training is one of the most underused training that goes on in baseball. A good offseason workout might include the following. Start with some dynamic stretching to help warm up your muscles and get blood flowing. Followed by a 15-20 minute long toss routine. As you wind up your long toss routine come in to about 45- 60 ft with your partner to work on Change-up grips etc. After this do a 30 minute cardio workout followed by a GOOD 15 minutes of static stretching to help improve flexibility. ( You want to improve flexibility by stretching warm muscles.) Toatal time Approx 1hr-1hr15 min.