Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Full ride in baseball?

Featured Replies

I keep hearing people say that someone got a full ride in baseball but is that baseball money or with financial aid ? Does any school give full rides in baseball?

I keep hearing people say that someone got a full ride in baseball but is that baseball money or with financial aid ? Does any school give full rides in baseball?
Very few Baseball student-athletes, get "athletic full-rides" and very few college programs, give them out. There are exceptions to both.

 

In D1 you only have 11.7 scholarships and unless a potential draft choice pitcher or catcher, very seldom will you get it. Combinations of athletic and academic, KEES in state and other money, may be the equivalent of total tuition cost.

 

If you asked most College baseball players, I would say 20 or so from each team would get $500 their first year.

Very few Baseball student-athletes, get "athletic full-rides" and very few college programs, give them out. There are exceptions to both.

 

In D1 you only have 11.7 scholarships and unless a potential draft choice pitcher or catcher, very seldom will you get it. Combinations of athletic and academic, KEES in state and other money, may be the equivalent of total tuition cost.

 

If you asked most College baseball players, I would say 20 or so from each team would get $500 their first year.

That pretty much nails the question. Mostly pitchers or catchers get the highest athletic scholarship money. Also the scholarships are renewable each year. So a student athlete can get their money decreased or increased depending upon performance on the field or classroom.

I knew of a few guys that got full rides for baseball. One guy had a "basketball scholarship" and another guy had a "music scholarship" atleast that is what it said on their financial aid letters, both were baseball players. Most Baseball players don't get full rides. I only received $2,000. But your money doesn't tell how much playing time you will get. We had a speed up runner that was getting $8,000 and a conference starter who was a walk on.

Very few Baseball student-athletes, get "athletic full-rides" and very few college programs, give them out. There are exceptions to both.

 

In D1 you only have 11.7 scholarships and unless a potential draft choice pitcher or catcher, very seldom will you get it. Combinations of athletic and academic, KEES in state and other money, may be the equivalent of total tuition cost.

 

If you asked most College baseball players, I would say 20 or so from each team would get $500 their first year.

 

The 11.7 rides are actually the formula of {11.7 x the cost of tuition}, aren't they? Meaning the coach can spread the money around however it best suits him or her. The question I have relates to the cost of tuition. Is it based on in-state or out-of-state tuition, or on so may of each?

The 11.7 rides are actually the formula of {11.7 x the cost of tuition}, aren't they? Meaning the coach can spread the money around however it best suits him or her. The question I have relates to the cost of tuition. Is it based on in-state or out-of-state tuition, or on so may of each?
I'm not quite sure I follow. As for 11.7, that is the total amount of "full scholarships", that are available for D1 Baseball teams....total. Often coaches will divide up one scholarship, into various amounts and give out to 3,4 or 6 or more players.

 

Some colleges, give complete total coverage and others, tuition only. If a HS student from Tennessee, received a "full" to Kentucky, schools have the option to give "in-state" or "out-of-state" packages.

 

I hear often, players getting $500, or $1,000 scholarships and then others, who get 65% or 75% scholarships. Usually, coaches make an offer and then it goes from there. Hope this answers your questions....:thumb:

I'm not quite sure I follow. As for 11.7, that is the total amount of "full scholarships", that are available for D1 Baseball teams....total. Often coaches will divide up one scholarship, into various amounts and give out to 3,4 or 6 or more players.

 

Some colleges, give complete total coverage and others, tuition only. If a HS student from Tennessee, received a "full" to Kentucky, schools have the option to give "in-state" or "out-of-state" packages.

 

I hear often, players getting $500, or $1,000 scholarships and then others, who get 65% or 75% scholarships. Usually, coaches make an offer and then it goes from there. Hope this answers your questions....:thumb:

You've got me confused now.:lol:

You've got me confused now.:lol:
I'm talking about amount of money, beit in-state or out-of-state.
  • Author

Does anybody know of any player that actually recieved a full athletic baseball scholarship ? If so, do you know what all it covers?

I'm talking about amount of money, beit in-state or out-of-state.

I'm with tcjkbt in not knowing exactly what criteria is used in "divying up" the funds. Do you have 11.7 scholarships to offer based on the rate of in-state tuition or based on out-of-state tuition. Since out-of-state is generally double what in-state is, that is a very good question of which base line do they use. Maybe you answered that question with your post, but if you did, it went way over my head. But then again, that's not hard to do.

Does anybody know of any player that actually recieved a full athletic baseball scholarship ? If so, do you know what all it covers?

I personally have never heard of anybody getting a FULL BASEBALL RIDE. I have heard of some getting a full ride coupled with academic money and/or with some other sort of financial aide package. I was at a University of Tennessee camp one time when Coach Delmonico was talking on this subject, and he made the statement that he has never once given a player a full ride in baseball.

  • Author
I personally have never heard of anybody getting a FULL BASEBALL RIDE. I have heard of some getting a full ride coupled with academic money and/or with some other sort of financial aide package. I was at a University of Tennessee camp one time when Coach Delmonico was talking on this subject, and he made the statement that he has never once given a player a full ride in baseball.

That must be what most are saying when they say that somebody got a full ride to play baseball not just baseball money.

That must be what most are saying when they say that somebody got a full ride to play baseball not just baseball money.

Perhaps someone else did get a full ride. I cant say for certainty that it does not happen. I just personally have never seen evidence of anyone actually getting one.

Most coaches I have spoken with over the last several years, indicate they have within their budget, an amount designated for athletic scholarships, based off 11.78 x in-state tuition or whatever amount the Athletic Department, Board and Title IX will permit. For instance, the scholarship money set aside, might be $150,000 total for one school and $100,000 at another, based off in-state cost. It could also be adjusted down, based off tuition cost and maintaining compliance with Title IX.

 

Each school will vary and for example, UK could have a greater total amount of money designated for Baseball, than say Morehead State, simply due to revenue generated in other athletic programs. If a player was out-of-state and wanted to attend, if money remaining could cover his "total" costs, then schools could designate that amount, in his scholarship.

 

I believe there around (285) D1 programs and near (228) D2 NCAA Baseball programs, that offer scholarships. D1 gets 11.78 and D2 gets 9, while NAIA gets 12.

 

I get a lot of calls, this time of year from college coaches, who tell me, "they have scholarship money remaining", if I know any student-athletes that need a school.

Here is a good article on Ron Polk that may clear some things up. Not all.

 

By Mark Schlabach June 7 2007

 

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2895944

 

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- In more than three decades as a college baseball coach, Mississippi State's Ron Polk has never been a fan of the NCAA.

 

 

 

 

Ron Polk's recruiting strategy will have to change when the new rules go into effect.

Polk has criticized college sports' governing body for reducing the number of scholarships available for his sport, eliminating coaching positions and reducing the number of games baseball teams can play each spring.

 

 

 

Fresh off an upset of national seed Florida State, and as the Bulldogs prepare to host Clemson in an NCAA super regional at Polk-Dement Stadium this weekend, Polk is once again fuming about the NCAA.

 

 

 

And this time, Polk might have a legitimate beef.

 

 

 

"I've been on their case forever," Polk said. "I think Title IX was the greatest thing ever for college sports because I think women were really being discriminated against. I've got no problem with that, and I don't think anyone else does. Women's sports were underfunded and didn't have the facilities and good coaching staffs.

 

 

 

"I just say, 'Where's Title X?' Our boys, our families and our coaches are being discriminated against in terms of scholarships."

 

 

 

The NCAA Board of Directors in April approved multiple rules changes that Polk and other coaches believe will forever change the face of their sport. Already hampered by having only 11.7 scholarships to award to more than 30 players each season, the NCAA has approved legislation that will dictate how those scholarships are awarded.

 

 

 

College baseball has always had the short end of the stick in terms of scholarships. Division I-A football teams receive 85 scholarships, and men's and women's basketball teams have 13 scholarships. Women's equestrian can dole out 15 scholarships, and women's crew teams can award 20 scholarships.

 

 

 

In the past, Polk was able to fraction the 11.7 scholarships to nearly three dozen players. His team has 34 scholarship players this season, with half of those players receiving less than 33-percent funding for tuition, housing and books. One player receives 74 percent of a full scholarship, and the next highest is 54 percent. Several players receive only 4 percent, which Polk describes as "books scholarships" because they pay for nothing more than required texts for classes.

 

 

 

Under the new rules, which will go in effect for the 2008-09 academic year, baseball rosters will be capped at 35 players, with only 30 players being eligible to receive financial aid. Starting in 2009-10, only 27 players can receive financial aid, each of whom must receive at least one-third of a full scholarship.

 

 

 

South Carolina, another NCAA super regional participant, has 22 of 36 players receiving less than one-third of a full scholarship this season, coach Ray Tanner said.

 

 

 

"They're giving us chump change, and now they're telling us how to spend the chump change," Polk said.

 

 

 

The new college baseball rules also include legislation that is targeted at increasing player retention and graduation rates for college baseball. In the past, baseball players could transfer from one school to another without penalty. Football, basketball and men's hockey players have to sit out one season at their new school if they transfer. Under the new rules, baseball players also will face that one-year penalty if they leave.

 

 

 

Polk believes baseball players have been more likely to transfer because they can get better scholarships at other schools.

 

 

 

"Am I supposed to tell a kid who's getting a 4 percent scholarship that he can't leave?" Polk asked.

 

 

 

 

 

Why are our boys playing for 10 percent scholarships and 4 percent scholarships when other athletes are getting full scholarships? Baseball has always been hammered by the NCAA. This is another crisis.

Ron Polk

 

 

Under the new rules, players also must be academically eligible during fall semester to play the following spring, which will require more players to attend summer school.

 

Most college baseball players don't attend summer school because they can't afford it, Polk said. If a player receives only a 4 percent scholarship during the school year, he receives the same financial aid during summer school. Scholarship athletes in basketball and football attend summer school because their scholarships will cover all the costs.

 

 

 

"A lot of our kids opt not to go to summer school because they can't afford it," Polk said. "Fortunately, there are NCAA-sanctioned summer baseball leagues at Cape Cod and Alaska and all over the place. They can play summer baseball and get jobs to save money."

 

 

 

The rules changes are the results of the NCAA's new Academic Performance Rates, which measure each student's progress toward obtaining an academic degree. Teams failing to score 925 in the APR -- equivalent to a 50 percent graduation rate -- can lose scholarships.

 

Last month, the NCAA released a list of 112 programs that were subject to penalties because of poor APR scores. One-quarter of the programs on the list were baseball teams.

 

"It's criminal to say our kids are not good students," Polk said. "That's not true."

 

 

 

Most college baseball coaches agree that they need to do a better job of retaining and graduating their players. But decreasing the size of scholarships isn't the way to achieve that goal, Polk said.

 

 

 

Polk believes the new rules will do more harm that good. Because of the new rules, Polk said college baseball teams won't be able to lure top high school players to their schools anymore.

 

 

 

"How am I going to be able to convince a kid to come to college, instead of going pro, when I can only give him a 33 percent scholarship?" Polk said.

 

 

 

Polk said teams also will encourage juniors to enter the major league draft, instead of returning to school for their senior seasons, so coaches can open up roster spots for the following season. And teams will be less likely to retain injured players, because coaches won't want to risk spending a scholarship on a player who might not be able to play.

 

 

 

"Why are our boys playing for 10 percent scholarships and 4 percent scholarships when other athletes are getting full scholarships?" Polk asked. "Baseball has always been hammered by the NCAA. This is another crisis."

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.