Unity of Coaches

Philip Hay

I received this email today from a coach and found it very interesting for many reasons. I like the proposals and really like the way the coaches around the state are working together. What does everyone else think of these propsals?

Thru the football and basketball coaches committees, which are established by the KHSAA, a group of coaches both football and basketball have worked together to make the included proposals at the Oct. 19th Delegate Assembly Meeting. The single biggest three issues that relate to football are:

1. Schools will now be able to do passing league tournaments and work with other schools from July 10 to July 31

2. Schools will still have the option of an open date in their schedule when the finals move back to the 1st weekend in December in 2009.

3. No kids will be allowed to participate in school vs. school basketball activities during the month of July.

The following coaches have already expressed a strong desire to see this passed and have agreed to sign the email below. Please address any specific questions related to the proposals to any of the football coaches below:

Jim McKee-Scott Co.

Mike Jackson- Pikeville

Dan Gooch-Montgomery Co.

David Buchanan- Mason Co.

Mike Harmon-Lafayette

Sam Harp - Danville

Dale Anderson – Southwestern

Kerry Stovall – Christian Co.

David Henley- Holmes

Mike Listerman – Cov. Cath

Mike Flynn – Bourbon Co.

Damon Kelley – Lafayette

Jeff Morrow- Jtown

Tim Riley – Warren Central

Tim Davis Campbellsville

Chris O'Hearn- Mason Co.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm personally not for Item #1...1. Schools will now be able to do passing league tournaments and work with other schools from July 10 to July 31

As this will take away more Baseball time, for student-athletes who want to play both or must choose. Allowing out of season sports, to organize and run programs during the time frame, when student-athletes play summer baseball, will not help the already problem of limited time.

Baseball doesn't get time during Basketball and Football, but yet both have structured time during Baseball. Summer is for baseball and it would be no different, if KHSBCA wanted time in October or November for Baseball.

Many youth programs are already struggling with numbers, participation because they're players are choosing these other out-of-season sports. Traveling teams are becoming more predominant than summer youth leagues, because these kids want to play but dwindling numbers, won't allow for leagues...enough is enough.

Run your programs during your own season and leave Baseball alone.

I'm personally not for Item #1...1. Schools will now be able to do passing league tournaments and work with other schools from July 10 to July 31

As this will take away more Baseball time, for student-athletes who want to play both or must choose. Allowing out of season sports, to organize and run programs during the time frame, when student-athletes play summer baseball, will not help the already problem of limited time.

Baseball doesn't get time during Basketball and Football, but yet both have structured time during Baseball. Summer is for baseball and it would be no different, if KHSBCA wanted time in October or November for Baseball.

Many youth programs are already struggling with numbers, participation because they're players are choosing these other out-of-season sports. Traveling teams are becoming more predominant than summer youth leagues, because these kids want to play but dwindling numbers, won't allow for leagues...enough is enough.

I agree on some levels we all need to allow every athlete the chance to play whatever sport they want to play but football is the hardest sport to teach, play, and coach in my opinion. More time is needed to play football because baseball and basketball you can truly just show up and play. I know you need practice and it's very important, but football you can't just show up and play. It's a game that takes timing, execution, and players knowing players. This is totally my opinion of course but I believe football deserves more time than other sports because of the mentality it takes to win and achieve success. With that being said I disagree about baseball being a summer sport, football is a summer sport as well you are not going to be any good if you don't put the time in the weightroom, every sport benefits from bigger, faster, strong athletes.

Strike, I firmly believe that football season begins July 16th. That gives you a month and a week before your first game, three to four weeks before your first scrimmage. Baseball season is over long before this time. Out of school sports should not be considered IMO.

3. No kids will be allowed to participate in school vs. school basketball activities during the month of July.

I don't think that Basketball coaches are going to like this one either. Basketball has their summer camps in June and there are many school vs school football activities going on then, so what is the difference in July?

I don't think that Basketball coaches are going to like this one either. Basketball has their summer camps in June and there are many school vs school football activities going on then, so what is the difference in July?

There will be ways around it for basketball, they'll simply not make it mandatory and change the names on the jerseys.

I agree on some levels we all need to allow every athlete the chance to play whatever sport they want to play but football is the hardest sport to teach, play, and coach in my opinion. More time is needed to play football because baseball and basketball you can truly just show up and play. I know you need practice and it's very important, but football you can't just show up and play. It's a game that takes timing, execution, and players knowing players. This is totally my opinion of course but I believe football deserves more time than other sports because of the mentality it takes to win and achieve success. With that being said I disagree about baseball being a summer sport, football is a summer sport as well you are not going to be any good if you don't put the time in the weightroom, every sport benefits from bigger, faster, strong athletes.
Baseball does end in June but the football season is extending into more and more July time. With all the recent heat related issues, why not start Football later and cut into Basketball time.

Strike, I firmly believe that football season begins July 16th. That gives you a month and a week before your first game, three to four weeks before your first scrimmage. Baseball season is over long before this time. Out of school sports should not be considered IMO.
Out of school sports, are just that....out of school. Many student-athletes don't get the time to choose summer teams, or other activities, because they feel compelled to participate in ever extending HS programs....Basketball camp here, Football passing league there. Basketball is almost 11 months a year anymore. Football players, condition often if they're not playing other sports.

#1 and #2, reek of Football coaches seeking their best interest and not that of the student-athlete and the choices he must make.

Baseball does end in June but the football season is extending into more and more July time. With all the recent heat related issues, why not start Football later and cut into Basketball time.

Out of school sports, are just that....out of school. Many student-athletes don't get the time to choose summer teams, or other activities, because they feel compelled to participate in ever extending HS programs....Basketball camp here, Football passing league there. Basketball is almost 11 months a year anymore. Football players, condition often if they're not playing other sports.

#1 and #2, reek of Football coaches seeking their best interest and not that of the student-athlete and the choices he must make.

I hope it does pass because in the end football makes the most money for the schools, and if you have a good football program then you can make money for the school. Football is the best sport in my opinion and I enjoy basketball and baseball, but it just doesn't create as much excitement and money for the schools. I do agree however about the heat but there is no way around those factors, we are really taking away 2 adays because of the season moved back, teams don't go nearly as many 2 adays as they used to.

A dedicated athlete should never place an out of school activity over his school sport. Football season starts in July. It has for years. I don't understand how you can expect anything different.

The baseball/football battle is a tough one. IMO we should eliminate one round of football playoffs, move the season back one week which would allow practice to start later as well and avoid the heat as much as possible. This would also allow the baseball/football player time to do both.

The best football coaches are the ones that are willing to work with a kid. I think a kid can do both upto 8.1. After that, he should be all football.

We've seen so many examples of kids who miss some football early due to baseball and yet somehow still are able to produce on the gridiron. The belief that they MUST be there or they're going to hurt the team has not been proven to be a truism(if that's a word).

I think it is a good idea because in June and July football and basketball will not be competing with each other for getting kids who play both sports to participate in summer basketball games and 7 on 7 passing games at the same time.

I remember when I was in high school a couple of players on the basketball team played basketball games and 7 on 7 passing games on the same day. Its not a perfect solution, but one that I believe would work.

It's not supposed to be mandatory now, that is not legal.

You're right, but everyone knows you're expected to play in those summer games, but on the same hand, there are many players who can't make it to every summer game for one reason or another. My point is that I don't think it will effect basketball that much.

Correct me if I'm wrong , but doesn't baseball start in Feb and run through June.

Summer league, youth league, AAU leagues, whatever league in basketball and baseball is what started this.

The wording on passing leagues until the 31st seems a little vague to me. The working with other teams leaves the door open for other than passing leagues. I don't see coaches wanting to participate in passing leagues when real practice can start. Most coaches will work with players that are on baseball teams good enough to be playing that late. We had a player my senior year who was on the Babe Ruth team that made it to the national tournament. He didn't get to footbal until almost our first scrimmage, and the coaches had no problem with it. Of course it didn't hurt he ran a 4.3 forty and was a first team allstate defensive back.