Unity of Coaches

Philip Hay

School isn't even in session during July, so why should they be expected to participate in summer passing leagues.

Football and Basketball, keep creeping more and more into baseball. Each sport has a season and specified time by the KHSAA. Baseball is one the sport, which doesn't get an out of season time, like the other two.

Now, this proposal calls for even more time out of season. If you're a HS Baseball player and want to get seen, attending summer camps, traveling teams is a must. During the season, games are being played simultaneously and hard to get observed.

Actually it is less time. 7 on 7 goes on for football all through June up until the dead period. With this proposal they will not be aloud to do this.

And now basketball teams can't play any games in July against other teams under this new ruling.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it is less time. 7 on 7 goes on for football all through June up until the dead period. With this proposal they will not be aloud to do this.

And now basketball teams can't play any games in July against other teams under this new ruling.

Is this proposal saying no football activities at all in June?

If I'm reading you correctly in your belief that kids get scholarships based off of high school, I would disagree. It certainly doesn't hurt but I'd say most kids get scholarships based off of summer baseball. Think about it. When are college coaches avaialble to watch? In the summer.

Then football players never get any???

Its a mind set for baseball that if you don't play summer ball you won't get in... My argument is , if you are good you will get seen if the coach does his job.

I know that it has help kids in baseball to play summer, but you are the ones that make them choose and then get on here and say why are other sports doing it.

Make sense????

Baseball and Basketball are the ones that that went year round.

Yeah, I agree, those baseball scholarships you receive from summer exposure are truly overrated, who wants their education paid for anyway?:creepy:

That's not what I meant spindoc, thats great if they get their education paid for, too many kids quit other sports because they want to focus on one and they end up not doing as well in that one sport, whereas if they played other sports maybe they could have gotten their education paid for that way. I guess I didn't explain myself enough. :eek:

Faulty logic, so it's okay for football to take up the summer, just not baseball. :lol:[/QUOT

Whatever sport it is it doesn't matter because we all have opinions. Bottom line to me is if the kid is good enough people will notice no matter what time of year it is and no matter what sport it is. It's the coaches job to sell his players as well if the coach thinks the player is good enough for college. BASEBALL, BASKETBALL, FOOTBALL, ETC. Summer isn't for any sport in particular but if we were to ask most people they would say football because it's the next sport up and if you want to win you must put the time in. I agree HS spring football is kind of pointless especially for smaller schools because all the athletes play other sports. We could go on forever about this topic and never reach a solution, bottom line is it's all about the kids and doing whats right for them not coaches.

You guys should ban Fall Baseball leagues then. Ask around No other sport keeps kids off the football field more than Baseball. KHSAA Baseball is in the spring so it should not conflict. with School sports, I think Youth leagues should be over when kids get to High School IMO.
We disagree, on your comment about Baseball keeping kids off the Football field. If you feel that way, then perhaps you just validated my point, about Football cutting into summer programs. Youth leagues and other programs exist in the summer, so not to compete with HS sports.

If you have a kid that good, then it is your job to make sure that he gets seen....and guess what I bet that they will come and watch him play during HS baseball season.
I do make sure he gets seen but when HS and College coaches are practicing/playing at the same time, often visual observation is limited. That is why many have summer and fall camps, to better evaluate talent.

So what you are saying is that traveling teams for baseball are more important than practicing football. That is what these games are for, to crisp up timing in your passing. Camps that kids choose to attend for football are many times attended for the same reason you are saying kids should attend traveling teams. High school athletes do not have the luxury of summers anymore, save the dead period. Your simply trying to claim that the summer should be used for out of school baseball rather than for the sport that is in season during July, football. Football can and should be mandatory after July 16th.
Football is often mandatory, which cause the dilemma for student-athletes to choose. If a player wants to play summer sports, a traveling team but is a member of the Football team, he will have to choose which to participate in, if a time conflict arises. Those that don't play both Baseball and Football, will not see the problem which results.

You let any school start a 10 days of Baseball practice during Football, see the chaos and animosity that would follow.

Football does not and has never taken up the summer.

Speaking from the perspective of a parent of a former player: Outside of "dead period" , while it may not be able to be called "practice" , June is a very busy month for high school football.

Again it makes no sense for the KHSAA to protect youth league or summer programs we should be promoting the kids who make our high school teams which involve academic eligibility and a governing body.
The kids you are referring to, play HS sports but in youth leagues in the summer, due to Baseball ending.

I'm for student-athletes getting scholarship in Baseball, Football and Basketball (plus any sport) but reducing the time of practicing/playing, in one sport, to give additional time for practicing/playing in another sport, is my bone of contention.

Isn't a passing league in July, a "summer program" which is operated by a HS Football coach but you would allow it, but say no to a summer baseball program, operated by someone else who is trying to promote these same kids?

That's not what I meant spindoc, thats great if they get their education paid for, too many kids quit other sports because they want to focus on one and they end up not doing as well in that one sport, whereas if they played other sports maybe they could have gotten their education paid for that way. I guess I didn't explain myself enough. :eek:
I agree 100%, that specialization is part of the problem.

Also, overlapping seasons is the result of many current problems and my point, about not extending Football passing leagues into the summer.

Football and Basketball certainly overlap, if your team makes a run in the District and Regional. Conditioning for all three, often ocurr in the season for one and thus, student-athletes are choosing to "specialize" in the upper grades. Many smaller schools can't afford student-athletes, to skip participation and specialize.