Unity of Coaches

Philip Hay

A dedicated athlete should never place an out of school activity over his school sport. Football season starts in July. It has for years. I don't understand how you can expect anything different.
School isn't even in session during July, so why should they be expected to participate in summer passing leagues.

Football and Basketball, keep creeping more and more into baseball. Each sport has a season and specified time by the KHSAA. Baseball is one the sport, which doesn't get an out of season time, like the other two.

Now, this proposal calls for even more time out of season. If you're a HS Baseball player and want to get seen, attending summer camps, traveling teams is a must. During the season, games are being played simultaneously and hard to get observed.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong , but doesn't baseball start in Feb and run through June.

Summer league, youth league, AAU leagues, whatever league in basketball and baseball is what started this.

I agree Fall baseball is just way too much for kids for example, and some kids play that because they are told that's what they need to do in order to play varsity next spring. I know a kid that quit football because he was told that for baseball and he was the backup catcher for 3 years, he never saw the baseball field and would have been a good football player. Those things happen in football and basketball also I know, but still all these other leagues kill the kids because they are FORCED to make decisions they shouldn't have to make.

I'm personally not for Item #1...1. Schools will now be able to do passing league tournaments and work with other schools from July 10 to July 31

As this will take away more Baseball time, for student-athletes who want to play both or must choose. Allowing out of season sports, to organize and run programs during the time frame, when student-athletes play summer baseball, will not help the already problem of limited time.

Baseball doesn't get time during Basketball and Football, but yet both have structured time during Baseball. Summer is for baseball and it would be no different, if KHSBCA wanted time in October or November for Baseball.

Many youth programs are already struggling with numbers, participation because they're players are choosing these other out-of-season sports. Traveling teams are becoming more predominant than summer youth leagues, because these kids want to play but dwindling numbers, won't allow for leagues...enough is enough.

Run your programs during your own season and leave Baseball alone.

You guys should ban Fall Baseball leagues then. Ask around No other sport keeps kids off the football field more than Baseball. KHSAA Baseball is in the spring so it should not conflict. with School sports, I think Youth leagues should be over when kids get to High School IMO.

[quote=STRIKE3;2410130

If you're a HS Baseball player and want to get seen, attending summer camps, traveling teams is a must. During the season, games are being played simultaneously and hard to get observed.

If you have a kid that good, then it is your job to make sure that he gets seen....and guess what I bet that they will come and watch him play during HS baseball season.

School isn't even in session during July, so why should they be expected to participate in summer passing leagues.

Football and Basketball, keep creeping more and more into baseball. Each sport has a season and specified time by the KHSAA. Baseball is one the sport, which doesn't get an out of season time, like the other two.

Now, this proposal calls for even more time out of season. If you're a HS Baseball player and want to get seen, attending summer camps, traveling teams is a must. During the season, games are being played simultaneously and hard to get observed.

So what you are saying is that traveling teams for baseball are more important than practicing football. That is what these games are for, to crisp up timing in your passing. Camps that kids choose to attend for football are many times attended for the same reason you are saying kids should attend traveling teams. High school athletes do not have the luxury of summers anymore, save the dead period. Your simply trying to claim that the summer should be used for out of school baseball rather than for the sport that is in season during july, football. Football can and should be mandatory after july 16th.

You guys should ban Fall Baseball leagues then. Ask around No other sport keeps kids off the football field more than Baseball. KHSAA Baseball is in the spring so it should not conflict. with School sports, I think Youth leagues should be over when kids get to High School IMO.

I agree with that, too many kids think they will make it in baseball and it just doesn't happen. Sure they may get drafted in the 100th round or whatever they have, but big deal congrads you have a chance to make a minor league team and travel on a bus for 200 days a year, that's no life. No matter what sport the kids choose to play they should play what they want and not have to choose.

I agree with that, too many kids think they will make it in baseball and it just doesn't happen. Sure they may get drafted in the 100th round or whatever they have, but big deal congrads you have a chance to make a minor league team and travel on a bus for 200 days a year, that's no life. No matter what sport the kids choose to play they should play what they want and not have to choose.

Are you saying that baseball kids are more unrealistic than other sports?

Yeah, I agree, those baseball scholarships you receive from summer exposure are truly overrated, who wants their education paid for anyway?:creepy:

What I 'm saying is... baseball is actually played spring, summer and fall and strike3 says it not enough and baseball season is getting the wrong end of it>>>>????

Well, the coaches proposal actually cuts into summer baseball, and I don't necessarily agree with that either.

This debate, in a nutshell, is why many feel there is a need to place restrictions on each sport.

Actually, football is the only sport that gets an out-of-season practice time during the school year, in the spring. Summer is largely unregulated, except for the dead period.

This is why each school's AD should gather his coaches together in the spring and map out the summer activities for all sports, ensuring that no kids have to make difficult choices and have to risk alienating one of their coaches.

Not buying it.

They saw them in HS and would have given it anyway.

Not necessarily. A lot of coaches want to see players in the summer, when they're playing Legion ball and travel ball ... often against tougher competition than they face during the high school season.

Not buying it.

They saw them in HS and would have given it anyway.

If I'm reading you correctly in your belief that kids get scholarships based off of high school, I would disagree. It certainly doesn't hurt but I'd say most kids get scholarships based off of summer baseball. Think about it. When are college coaches avaialble to watch? In the summer.