Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pitcher Workouts

Featured Replies

What are some of the best ways to strenghten pitcher's arms without tearing them up?

I know I've always been told long tossing helps a ton. Also lifting light weights (3-8 lbs.) helps. Those are just some of the things I do.

At Cumberland we used to use medicine balls, 20 oz. Coke bottle filled with sand (doing various arm movement like with the weights), ab work outs and a lot of runner. Also remember that you want to stay flexible with your arm so that you can maximize the whip in your arm.

 

Throwing long is great for a pitcher but you have to remember that the best thing a pitcher can do is to strengthen the muscles in their legs because that is where you get your power.

At Cumberland we used to use medicine balls, 20 oz. Coke bottle filled with sand (doing various arm movement like with the weights), ab work outs and a lot of runner. Also remember that you want to stay flexible with your arm so that you can maximize the whip in your arm.

 

Throwing long is great for a pitcher but you have to remember that the best thing a pitcher can do is to strengthen the muscles in their legs because that is where you get your power.

ahhh, the infamous '' CAN '' workout.:D

  • Author

What about bands? Some people say they are wonderful, where as others will tell you that they do nothing but tear up your arm. What are your thoughts on this?

What about bands? Some people say they are wonderful, where as others will tell you that they do nothing but tear up your arm. What are your thoughts on this?
I'm a strong believer in Band workouts. There are proper techniques, arm slots and positions, to long-tossing, pitching, weight-lifting, bands and Jobes....any, if done improperly are not good, like practicing a bad swing, just reaffirms a bad swing.

 

I like bands, in pre-game to help loosen the arm and upper body, plus help raise the core temperature and increase blood flow. After pitching, on the recovery day, I also like a reduced program with bands, more loosening than anything.

 

Off season, bands are a big part of my program I teach.

  • Author

Where would be the best place to purchase these bands from? And what all bands would I need for pitcher's.

Where would be the best place to purchase these bands from? And what all bands would I need for pitcher's.
I've got about 8 different bands, including therapy bands. You can search for Baseball Exercise Bands and names, will appear.

 

A style I really like, are the Jaeger Sports Bands, which Barry Zito endorses. They are the double cuff, which you clamp to a fence.

 

http://www.jaegersports.com/

Proper long tossing is the key to gaining arm strength. ( I stress the word proper). I am also a firm believer that flexibility training is one of the most underused training that goes on in baseball.

 

A good offseason workout might include the following. Start with some dynamic stretching to help warm up your muscles and get blood flowing. Followed by a 15-20 minute long toss routine. As you wind up your long toss routine come in to about 45- 60 ft with your partner to work on Change-up grips etc. After this do a 30 minute cardio workout followed by a GOOD 15 minutes of static stretching to help improve flexibility. ( You want to improve flexibility by stretching warm muscles.) Toatal time Approx 1hr-1hr15 min.

Go to the nearby Physical Therapy office and ask for a copy of "Throwers Ten!" This is one of the best and easiest workouts that concentrates on strengthening the rotator cuff.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.