3) Belfry

4) Louisville Central

5) Breathitt County

6) Sheldon Clark

7) Somerset

8) Mason County

9) Elizabethtown

10) Wayne County/Webster County

Gotta be honest with you guys. Maybe it is simply because I don't know much about WEST football, but it looks like a cakewalk out there for Paducah Tilghman

I admit, I know little about MOST of these teams. I rank Breathitt Co. high because they have been young in the past couple years and should be a sqaud of good/mature players. I rank Sheldon Clark high for the same reason. Mason Country could easily be underrated and Central could easily be overrated.

I will enjoy everyone's insight.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only come up with a top 8 at this point.

1 Russell

2 Central

3 Tilghman

4 Belfry

5 Mason Co

6 Sheldon Clark

7 Somerset

8 Breathitt Co

Here are the other teams who I have question marks about but think they might make the top 10 at some point. What can anyone tell us about these teams and what they have coming back?

Elizabethtown ?

Russellville ?

Fleming Co ?

Union Co ?

Spencer Co ?

Western Hills ?

AAA next year will be pretty balanced throughout the state. I don't know alot about the teams out West, but I would have the top 10 looking like this:

1. Russell: The Red Devils have won state the most recently and deserve to be #1. If it had not been for the AAAA Mercer County last year they would have been back-2-back. McGlone knows what it takes and Russell is never far from a state title anyway.

2. Belfry: The Haywodd lead Pirates lack some of the blazing speed that has made them so special in years past, but return one of AAA's best in May. With Haywood calling the shots they will always have a chance.

3. Breathitt Co.: The Bobcats have an offensive guru in Holcomb and his coaching will keep them in most games. The Bobcats will return one of the more explosive teams in AAA this year and will be a tough out for anyone.

4. Sheldon Clark: I know I am taking teams all from the East, but I still think the East is the best football in the class. The Cardinals return Adam Dials and Ryan Kelly who could be the best RB tandem in all of AAA. Sc's punishing ground game and a much improved defense will make the Cardinal serious contenders to walk on the carpet come Dec.

5. Somerset: Another scary team filled with athletes. Somerset has typically been one of the best mountain A teams, and will continue their ways in AAA.

6. Paducah Tilghman: You don't typically have one of the most dominant track teams in the state and not field a good football team. The Tornados will be athletic like no other team in the state and could be a Western Juggernaut with the new alignment.

7. Central: Any team that comes out of Louisville and wins 11 games and only loses 3 must be doing somthing right. I don't know a whole lot about them, but the 11 wins makes me put them on my list.

8. Russellville: While this may not be A football anymore I think Russellville will be able to compete in a somewhat watered down district. I'm not sure if they will be capable of going to the Pizza Box, but don't count them out.

9. & 10. Are kind of up for grabs because I really don't know who else to list. There is a number of teams that could hold the last 2 spots, but I feel like the first 8 are pretty solid.

These are just my predictions and I am sure they will change once we kick off, but any way you look at it we are in for an exciting year of football.

7. Central: Any team that comes out of Louisville and wins 11 games and only loses 3 must be doing somthing right. I don't know a whole lot about them, but the 11 wins makes me put them on my list.

Central was very solid and finished the year 4th in the BGP 3A poll last year. They have had some phenomenal athletes the last several years and have been top 10 material in arguably the most competitive class.

AAA next year will be pretty balanced throughout the state. I don't know alot about the teams out West, but I would have the top 10 looking like this:

1. Russell: The Red Devils have won state the most recently and deserve to be #1. If it had not been for the AAAA Mercer County last year they would have been back-2-back. McGlone knows what it takes and Russell is never far from a state title anyway.

2. Belfry: The Haywodd lead Pirates lack some of the blazing speed that has made them so special in years past, but return one of AAA's best in May. With Haywood calling the shots they will always have a chance.

3. Breathitt Co.: The Bobcats have an offensive guru in Holcomb and his coaching will keep them in most games. The Bobcats will return one of the more explosive teams in AAA this year and will be a tough out for anyone.

4. Sheldon Clark: I know I am taking teams all from the East, but I still think the East is the best football in the class. The Cardinals return Adam Dials and Ryan Kelly who could be the best RB tandem in all of AAA. Sc's punishing ground game and a much improved defense will make the Cardinal serious contenders to walk on the carpet come Dec.

5. Somerset: Another scary team filled with athletes. Somerset has typically been one of the best mountain A teams, and will continue their ways in AAA.

6. Paducah Tilghman: You don't typically have one of the most dominant track teams in the state and not field a good football team. The Tornados will be athletic like no other team in the state and could be a Western Juggernaut with the new alignment.

8. Russellville: While this may not be A football anymore I think Russellville will be able to compete in a somewhat watered down district. I'm not sure if they will be capable of going to the Pizza Box, but don't count them out.

9. & 10. Are kind of up for grabs because I really don't know who else to list. There is a number of teams that could hold the last 2 spots, but I feel like the first 8 are pretty solid.

These are just my predictions and I am sure they will change once we kick off, but any way you look at it we are in for an exciting year of football.

Russellville will be fair, at best...Thats all they were in 1a, so, what makes people think they'll do better in a larger classification...IMO, Webster Co and Union Co will both be better competition to PT than Russellville will...

Isn't Warren East in 3a? They ended the year at 10-2 with there only 2 losses coming at the hands of Bowling Green...If they're in 3a, they'll most likely be PTs biggest competition out west...

Nope. Warren East will play in 4A/District 2 along with Allen County-Scottsville, Franklin-Simpson, Logan County and Russell County.

3A Alignment:

CLASS 3A

District-3-1- McLean County, Muhlenberg South, Paducah Tilghman, Union County, Webster County

District-3-2- Adair County, Butler County, Edmonson County, Hart County, Russellville

District-3-3- Central, Elizabethtown, Moore, Shawnee

District-3-4- Henry County, North Oldham, Spencer County, Western Hills

District-3-5- Casey County, Garrard County, Jackson County, Somerset, Taylor County, Wayne County

District-3-6- Breathitt County, Cawood, Estill County, Fleming County, Powell County

District-3-7- East Carter, Lewis County, Mason County, Russell, West Carter

District-3-8- Belfry, East Ridge, Magoffin County, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark

I can only come up with a top 8 at this point.

1 Russell

2 Central

3 Tilghman

4 Belfry

5 Mason Co

6 Sheldon Clark

7 Somerset

8 Breathitt Co

Here are the other teams who I have question marks about but think they might make the top 10 at some point. What can anyone tell us about these teams and what they have coming back?

Elizabethtown ?

Russellville ?

Fleming Co ?

Union Co ?

Spencer Co ?

Western Hills ?

Etown should win the district and face probably face Spencer Co. or Henry County for the Regional Title. Spencer Co. has a new coach, correct? Is Western Hills in Frankfort? I do not know too much about them, but they are in the same district as Spencer and Henry.

1) Louisville Central

2) Russell

3) Belfry

4) Tilghman

5) Breathitt Co.

6) Mason Co.

7) Elizabethtown

8) Somerset

9) Sheldon Clark

10) Fleming Co.

1. I agree that l. Central with their 11 wins, should be up there.

2. Russell has a lot of spots to fill from last years squad, and non-district play will be tougher, plus adding Mason Co to the district makes for a much tougher schedule this year. As a fan, it would be nice to see a 3-peat!!

3, 4 and 5 - Did not see Tilghman, but saw the other 2 teams and based on what I saw, I would move Breathitt up a notch. They are very physical up front on both sides of the ball.

6-10 From what I've read, Are pretty close.

Overall, this is going to be an exciting year in 4A. Can't wait.

3A District Champs

CLASS 3A

District-3-1- Paducah Tilghman

District-3-2- Adair County

District-3-3- Elizabethtown

District-3-4- Western Hills

District-3-5- Somerset

District-3-6- Breathitt County

District-3-7- Mason County or Russell

District-3-8- Belfry

I believe Paducah Tilghman, Breathitt County or Belfry will be at the top of Class.

Russell has been the only team in this division playing in Louisville the last two years. If not for the KHSAA's poor decision to allow a 3A school to play down, the Devils would have been back-to-back champs. Until someone else in their own class steps up, you have to consider them a favorite to be there again. While they do lose several players, they have lost many good and great players the last 3-4 seasons and have been right back at the top the following year. With the system McGlone has, his team's don't rebuild, they reload. While this year's competition will be better top to bottom than it has been in some time, I don't expect a big difference in record or performance. Russell should win their district again, and wind up playing for another regional title. Assuming Breathitt will have an easy run through their district and Belfry wins theirs again, I see another meeting for the Pirates and Red Devils at the CAM (due to yet another fine example of leadership by the KHSAA) with a trip to the Pizza Box on the line. No idea about how the west will pan out, but I don't see a major difference out there to indicate a shift in the balance of power at this level.