Fans Pre-Season Top 10 - Class 3A

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somerset and John Cole should make some noise due to the core of senior leadership and big game experience. Somerset did lose QB Ross Deaton along with 6 senior linemen, 3 of which were starters. Should be fun to see who will sling the ball this season. RB Kenny Hughes is a good blocker with speed and decent hands, look for him to carry the load out of the backfield and finish games.

Are the Devils with what they lost because the Harvey kid changed his mind again an is headed back to Louisville really the #1 team in class 3A

It's hard to say who will be the top team.

All this pre-season stuff is for the fans.

Russell will be in the thick of things come November.

Will the Devils miss Harvey? Sure they will but if they don't win the title it won't be because Seth moved to Louisville. While he leaves some BIG shoes to fill it is not the same as losing Clark would have been last year or losing Jones would be this year.

It is often much easier to replace linemen at this level than it is a skill player.

Plenty of potential lineman that will do an adequate job but he can sure plug a hole on defense.

Didn't Louisville Central"s Head Coach resign or got fired at the end of last season?...:sssh:

I think he resigned...he had been at Central for several years. They hired a guy who had been at Doss, I believe, and he was making solid improvements in that program. Central is a tough job, but talent alone should let the Yellowjackets contend for a state title this year.

Will the Devils miss Harvey? Sure they will but if they don't win the title it won't be because Seth moved to Louisville. While he leaves some BIG shoes to fill it is not the same as losing Clark would have been last year or losing Jones would be this year.

It is often much easier to replace linemen at this level than it is a skill player.

Plenty of potential lineman that will do an adequate job but he can sure plug a hole on defense.

I really think that Jones will make a big impact on just how good the Devils will be. Jones in my mind is one of the best all round football players that Russell has ever had. He is the heart of the Devils this year on both sides of the ball. I would not doubt it one bit if we see Jones playing middle linebacker.

Don't forget we have John Cornwell coming back in the middle of the defensive line. Unfortunately he only played against Greenup last year and was lost on the first play against Ashland with a broken leg and other damage to the knee. I see John being a big factor.

How far Devils go depends on both lines of scrimmage.

Gross era shredded the line of scrimmage perfect back for Wing T ...

Kasey needed a hole , 2005 won by grinding it out ( not so much wing t) and timely clutch passing. Last year Devils running game stalled somewhat in second half of final. Seemed Devils went away from the run , couldn't grind it out as had done against OC...

This year in the tough games will again come down to the lines of scrimmage .. Devils dominate Red Army last year on line of scrimmage ...

Big Seth is a major loss ....

Will be interesting how this years team runs it , pure Wing T , Power I , or combination ...

I don't agree lines can be easily replaced .. But Devils do seem to reload ...

How far Devils go depends on both lines of scrimmage.

Gross era shredded the line of scrimmage perfect back for Wing T ...

Kasey needed a hole , 2005 won by grinding it out ( not so much wing t) and timely clutch passing. Last year Devils running game stalled somewhat in second half of final. Seemed Devils went away from the run , couldn't grind it out as had done against OC...

This year in the tough games will again come down to the lines of scrimmage .. Devils dominate Red Army last year on line of scrimmage ...

Big Seth is a major loss ....

Will be interesting how this years team runs it , pure Wing T , Power I , or combination ...

I don't agree lines can be easily replaced .. But Devils do seem to reload ...

It's also worth noting when mentioning last year's Belfry game that the Pirates did a pretty good job of containing the Devils running game as well. In fact it was the Devil's passing game, namely Jones throwing to Clark, that primarily generated the brunt of Russell's offense.

On the other side of the ball, you put it best, russell absolutely dominated Belfry up front and the Harvey kid played a solid game.

The odds are (unless Sheldon Clark knocks out Belfry and Mason County takes out Russell) we will be seeing these two teams match up once again the playoffs. In the past three matchups, in terms of line play, we have seen:

2004 Belfry dominates LOS, Belfry rolls

2005 Russell dominates first half and goes up 20-0, Belfry dominates second half and nearly pulls out the win in the last minute.

2006 Russell dominates the LOS, Russell rolls

Needless to say, whoever controlls the line in this series wins.

It's also worth noting when mentioning last year's Belfry game that the Pirates did a pretty good job of containing the Devils running game as well. In fact it was the Devil's passing game, namely Jones throwing to Clark, that primarily generated the brunt of Russell's offense.

On the other side of the ball, you put it best, russell absolutely dominated Belfry up front and the Harvey kid played a solid game.

The odds are (unless Sheldon Clark knocks out Belfry and Mason County takes out Russell) we will be seeing these two teams match up once again the playoffs. In the past three matchups, in terms of line play, we have seen:

2004 Belfry dominates LOS, Belfry rolls

2005 Russell dominates first half and goes up 20-0, Belfry dominates second half and nearly pulls out the win in the last minute.

2006 Russell dominates the LOS, Russell rolls

Needless to say, whoever controlls the line in this series wins.

Actually, after watching the game film, the difference in the 2004 game wasn't so much the LOS as it was Russell's young secondary (namely safeties) who were unable to contain Howard and Jones. Russell's defense relies on those positions, along with LB being able to make plays and that year you had Sizemore and Clark as sophmores in those spots. 2005, those guys had another year of experience and Russell eked out the win. Last season, as seniors, Jacob and Kasey, along with their defensive teammates, literally shut the Pirates offense down.

I will agree that these two teams should match up again this season for the trip to Louisville. Unfortunately for Devil fans, due to the insight of Julian Tackett, et al, the game will once again be at the CAM...:irked:

We are all pretty much on same page with respect to Devils over last three years .... Looking foreward to the transition this year , last three years had key kids holding down critical positions so transition was more somewhat easy... Haing Jones in the backfield should really help ... Filling holes is where present Devil staff shines ... Good luck to all the kids ... JFL physicals today so season is coming ...

Actually, after watching the game film, the difference in the 2004 game wasn't so much the LOS as it was Russell's young secondary (namely safeties) who were unable to contain Howard and Jones. Russell's defense relies on those positions, along with LB being able to make plays and that year you had Sizemore and Clark as sophmores in those spots. 2005, those guys had another year of experience and Russell eked out the win. Last season, as seniors, Jacob and Kasey, along with their defensive teammates, literally shut the Pirates offense down.

No offense but a "young secondary unable to contain Howard and Jones" would never have to be an issue if the running backs didn't get into the second level in the first place. Last year there was no such thing as the second level for Belfry as Wills and company just thoroughly took over. In that '04 games two things became very evident to me:

1) Russell never established a positive surge on the line into the Pirate backfield, at the very best they were meeting the Belfry backs at the line of scrimmage and Belfry was then using momentum to surge forward for yards.

2) By late 3rd quarter the Devil line was physically exhausted and demoralized and that's when Belfry put an uncertain game away.

And for the record, as a Belfry fan I think it is a shame that the game has to be played at CAM again this year. But, now that it is done I ain't going to argue HAHA.

You make some good points, however Seth would have done a heck of a lot more than adequate. He is a potential D1 prospect and anytime a team loses a player that has that ability it will hurt their chances. With all that being said I agree that Russell will be fine. They have a great coach and what I feel is one of the best defensive coordinators in the state in Coach Morris.

You make some good points, however Seth would have done a heck of a lot more than adequate. He is a potential D1 prospect and anytime a team loses a player that has that ability it will hurt their chances. With all that being said I agree that Russell will be fine. They have a great coach and what I feel is one of the best defensive coordinators in the state in Coach Morris.

You missed the point. I wasn't saying that Seth was just an adequate player but someone always steps up and the staff will find that person and they will do an adequate job. The beat goes on. You expect it every year at the high school level. Just lost him a little earlier than expected. You'll see. Someone (Kasey) stepped up when Gross left, someone (?? / by committee) will step up this year in the backfield. Same is true on the line and at LB & DB. It will take some time but it always happens.

I agree with EKU5 on line of scrimmage in '04 .. We all agree someone will step up ... Ivan and staff play alot of kids so to guarantee the "beat goes on " ..

Backing up to '04 for just a minute , Russell had the kids to compete on D with Belfry , the trade off was number of kids on the field and at which positions. I believe if staff just pointed to one season / one game and not a on going program , Devils best possible 11 could have made the '04 Belfry game really interesting ...

Loss to Belfry in '04 was hard to take ( because we had the kids ) , but those kids who got experience by fire sustained a level of play that carried over into a '05 State Championship .... Now that's a program ...