5A Rankings (BGP) Discussion

Guest Bluto

Actually the JV game pass was to the 5 yard line and the receiver made it all the way to the 2 before he was tackled, his knees (both of them) hit at the 1 and he fell forward across the line. In Park Hills, this is called a touchdown.

:lol: :lol: Thanks for clearing that up. I was on the visitors side and the play was on the otherside of the field. With all those soccer lines on that field, it is hard to tell what is going on.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CovCath at number 10??? Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE for CovCath to be no better than the 10th best team in the class this year, but this is really hard for me to accept. The only thing I can say is that I guess the BGP rankers are putting this in the perspective of how good all the teams will be right at the start of the season, and since CCH has a new coach and pretty much all new starters, I can see some logic to this. But there is NO WAY CCH is 10th best in 5A come early November or so.

Also, I do have to disagree with the notion that last year's results are immaterial. The biggest predictor we all have of future outcomes is past outcomes, and I'd feel much more comfortable betting on CCH's chances this year than a team like Dixie or Owensboro, who hasn't demonstrated a high level of success very recently.

FYI, I am so glad that BGP puts out these preseason rankings and does the weekly rankings during the season... they provide fuel for a lot of great discussion on BGP!

Honestly, I think the rankings should be:

1. Highlands (Very solid defense and pretty sick running game)

2. Bowling Green (Return some good players, have a couple of big D1 recruits, and have shown recently to be pretty dangerous)

3. Cov. Cath. (Always seem to reload some way or another, and pose a big threat from year to year)

4. John Hardin (Have some athletes and can compete with every team in 5A)

5. Dixie Heights (They are always dangerous around playoff time, but are very inconsistant throughout the first half of the season)

6. Johnson Central (Don't know much about them, but they seem to have come on strong in the last two seasons)

7. Hopkinsville (Always seem to find their name in the rankings consistantly)

8. Warren Central (Could be a definate sleeper)

9+. TOSS UP

Sure was. When you think about that, you really have to tip your hat to the seniors on last years Birds team for working their tails off to become one of the better teams in the state last year, don't you? From losing to Scott as frosh to convincingly beating Dixie :scared: as seniors is a nice improvement, don't you think?

Last year's senior class wasn't one of the most athletically talented classes to go through Highlands, but through very hard work they became pretty dang good. This year's senior class is by far much more athletically gifted (which is why so many of them have started for as long as they have). I think the Birds will do very well this year. Hope they prove me right.

That was a great turn around for that team . That just proves my point on how Freshman and JV outcomes , don't always work-out that way at the Varsity level ! And yes Highlands has BEAT Dixie the past 2yrs most convincingly at the Varsity level ! Your point is well taken , Things do change if you work hard , don't you think ? :D

That was a great turn around for that team . That just proves my point on how Freshman and JV outcomes , don't always work-out that way at the Varsity level ! And yes Highlands has BEAT Dixie the past 2yrs most convincingly at the Varsity level ! Your point is well taken , Things do change if you work hard , don't you think ? :D

Absolutely think so. While what Highlands has done on the frosh level the past three years is impressive, if the kids rest on those laurels and don't work hard, they will be in for a rude awakening, that's for sure. And I'm positive that the kids from Dixie are sick of hearing and reading on here about Highlands frosh accomplishments, since in each of those three years, the Dixie kids played very, very tough against the Birds. I'm confident Dixie will come gunning for the Birds this year and the years to follow. Then again, I'm equally confident that the Birds will be up for the challenge.

Back to the thread, I'd probably have Highlands 1A, Dixie 1B and Johnson Central 1C. No disrespect to BG intended, but they still have not proven to me that they deserve the rankings and hype that they have been given the last two years based on their championship game performances. BG will have a much tougher row to hoe this year with Christian County, John Hardin, Warren Central and Owensboro Senior in their way to the finals. I know they have some studs returning but they lost quite a few players. Perhaps they can be replaced with new studs. We'll find out soon enough, but until then, I don't feel they merit a ranking of the second best 5A team in the state.

And JB, to some extent you are right about last year's performances mattering to some degree in this year's preseason ranking. If you look at CCH last year, Rodenburg made a decision mid season or so to go with more single platooning, which resulted in something like 19 of the 22 starting positions being manned by seniors. They are all gone and the fact that Rodenburg felt that he needed to go to single platooning, which he had eschewed the prior year and the first part of last year, should somewhat be an indicator of what to expect this year. Perhaps that's flawed logic, but dang it, at least its logic of some type:jump: But don't get me wrong, CCH is always CCH and I think they'll be good at the end of the season, perhaps a top 5 team, but as for preseason rankings, I can't argue too much with a 10th ranking.

Back to the thread, I'd probably have Highlands 1A, Dixie 1B and Johnson Central 1C. No disrespect to BG intended, but they still have not proven to me that they deserve the rankings and hype that they have been given the last two years based on their championship game performances.
No disrespect intended, but what exactly has Highlands and Dixie done the past 2 years to be ranked 1A and 1B? Johnson Central won more playoff games last year than in the history of their school! They are going to have to be more than a one year wonder for me to consider them a 1C. Highlands hasn't done anything but get beat by the eventual state champion the past 2 years. That is exactly what BG has done, yet you talk about BG not deserving of their ranking the past two years and Highlands should be? Highlands was ranked #1 all last year and Cov Cath was an after thought until they beat the Birds. The regular season victory was considered a fluke until Cov Cath dominated them even more in the playoff game. Not to mention that Highlands has been dominated by St X two years in a row while BG lost by 7 in '05 and 8 in '06. There are only 3 teams that can claim anything over BG the past 2 years and that is St X, Lex Cath, and Cov Cath (all private schools).

I personally have no particular order of ranking but would place most northern ky. schools (HHS, COV CATH, AND DIXIE) and Eastern ky. schools especially Johnson central over any western ky. schools until a school out of the western part of the state can play a competitive game let alone win a state title game. I feel any of the above schools would have cruised through Bowling Green's competition to face Cov Cath in the finals and would have provided a much more competitive title game. HHS plays traditional western ky. power Hoptown during the regular season this year and may be a good barometer as to how strong football is in western ky.

No disrespect intended, but what exactly has Highlands and Dixie done the past 2 years to be ranked 1A and 1B? Johnson Central won more playoff games last year than in the history of their school! They are going to have to be more than a one year wonder for me to consider them a 1C. Highlands hasn't done anything but get beat by the eventual state champion the past 2 years. That is exactly what BG has done, yet you talk about BG not deserving of their ranking the past two years and Highlands should be? Highlands was ranked #1 all last year and Cov Cath was an after thought until they beat the Birds. The regular season victory was considered a fluke until Cov Cath dominated them even more in the playoff game. Not to mention that Highlands has been dominated by St X two years in a row while BG lost by 7 in '05 and 8 in '06. There are only 3 teams that can claim anything over BG the past 2 years and that is St X, Lex Cath, and Cov Cath (all private schools).

BG gets killed most every year they make it to the finals..Until they beat a Northern or Eastern Kentucky team in the finals. They won't get my respect or my vote for top 3.......:D

I personally have no particular order of ranking but would place most northern ky. schools (HHS, COV CATH, AND DIXIE) and Eastern ky. schools especially Johnson central over any western ky. schools until a school out of the western part of the state can play a competitive game let alone win a state title game. I feel any of the above schools would have cruised through Bowling Green's competition to face Cov Cath in the finals and would have provided a much more competitive title game. HHS plays traditional western ky. power Hoptown during the regular season this year and may be a good barometer as to how strong football is in western ky.

Western Kentucky football Bowling Green is the obvious preseason choice. After that depends on who you talk to. Owensboro returns a lot especially on defense. But there is Coaches talking that some players aren't playing this year for whatever reason. Hopkinsville needs to have a RB step up and be consistent. I am high on Joe Harris myself and think he will suprise and some of the staff is high Antwon Crayton who is rising fast. Hopkinsville could have 3-4 guys get anywhere from 7-12 carries a game depending on how it unfolds. The good news for Hoptown is this year they will run more offense then they have the previous 2 seasons. Christian Co. will get better as the year goes on and their QB whoever it may be settles in and the game slows down for him. Lots of athletes and some tallent coming up but also are having issues with players deciding not to play this year.

I won't disagree with that, but they are pretty good in the finals if they get Highlands.:thumb:

You need to wake up and smell the coffee.....There were probably four five teams from the East that would of beat BG last year...:sleep:

^ He's talking about (I think) that the time they won the finals they were playing Highlands.

I also think he is talking about the 94 game when they beat us. My continued congrats to the 94 BG squad for beating us. They had a very good team that year.

I ruffled his feathers and did not mean to do so in an insulting way. Both Highlands and BG have lost to the eventual state champions the last two years, it was just a matter of when we faced them in the playoffs. He understandably questions why I would then say that Highlands belongs in the 1A spot but BG remains unproven to me. I will point out that our margins of loss to the eventual state champions were much smaller than BG's. And we were not dominated, by the way, by CovCath when we lost to them in the playoffs. It was a 10 point loss, which is not a domination in my book.

He pointed out that the last two years they've played X tough but Highlands has been blown out by X, which is not exactly accurate. We were blown out two years ago but last year played X extremely competitively and I believe were winning at halftime. We ended up losing by two tds, but it was a one touch down game. We were moving the ball at the end of the game when they intercepted a desperation pass to end the game with a two touchdown lead. What he also failed to figure into his thinking in using the X comparison, is that both times we played X it was the week after we played very tough games against much bigger opponents. Two years ago it was after we played Cinti Colerain ( a team that was very good and lost to Cinti X, the eventual Ohio champion in overtime) and we were so beat up its amazing we were even able to field a team against X. Our starting qb in that game shouldn't have even played due to a shoulder injury but was forced to play because our back up qb suffered a concussion in the Colerain game after the staring qb was removed due to his shoulder injury. Last year we played X the week after we played Cinti Elder (which down by Elder's standards, was still a much bigger team in size and numbers than us). We had 4 or 5 starters not practice a play during the week leading up to X last year due to injuries (and a couple of those who played were limited due to injuries) and we had one starter not play at all against X. Every one of our starting offensive linemen played every offensive down against Elder and then played every offensive down against X. My son, whom was one of those offensive linemen, blocked a defensive line position that was two deep (and he said the drop off between the first teamer and the second teamer was marginal at best). Faftor that also into the equation, along with the extreme heat that day on the artificial turf at Paul Brown Stadium, and you'll understand why Henry and I were quite concerned about our son's well being when we met him coming off of the bus after the game.

BG on the other hand got to play X in the first game of the year. X, because it is predominantly a senior team, has historically played rather rough in its first game from my observation because of all the new, first year starters. I've watched both of the BG vs X games the last two years, and the improvement by X from their first to third game has been amazing (tip of the hat there to the X coaches and players). Such improvement is common when you have a team comprised of very few returning starters. Last year against BG, X had turnovers and a lot of penalties. Against us, I don't think there was one turnover and there might have been one penalty. Bottom line: I'd rather play X in their first game than in the third game and definitely would prefer not to play them right after a game against the likes of Elder and Colerain. For a small school like Highlands, with the lack of quality depth, its an extremely daunting task. So while BG has lost those two games against X than Highlands has lost to X, the scores don't tell the full story as to the comparison between BG and Highlands.

Again, I have a lot of respect for the BG program. However other than their performance against X in the first game of the year, I think I have good reason to wonder if their high rankings of the past are based on hype. Add into that the fact that they lost their stud running back (Hibbett) and several of their good O and D linemen, and I'm just not yet convinced they belong in the two slot ahead of Dixie and JC. JC gave CovCath all they could handle last year and they have a lot coming back, and I mean a whole lot. While Dixie didn't play very well at times last year and didn't make it deep into the 4A playoffs, with all the returning quality starters they have coming back I'd put them ahead of BG also in the preseason rankings. Heck, if I wasn't a Highlands fan, I might even put JC as 1A, Dixie as 1B and Highlands as 1C.

And again, I didn't mean to insult Chick or anyone supporting the BG progam. These rankings are supposed to be for fun and entertainment value. Its just a bunch of opinions and opinions are like you know whats; every one has one and some stink more than others. Maybe my opinion stinks the most:D

You need to wake up and smell the coffee.....There were probably four five teams from the East that would of beat BG last year...:sleep:
I have no trouble with the notion that CovCath and Highlands would have beaten Bowling Green, but I'm not sure about anyone else on that side.

Granted, the Purples' subpar performances on the carpet the last two years doesn't give them much ammunition for an argument.

I have no trouble with the notion that CovCath and Highlands would have beaten Bowling Green, but I'm not sure about anyone else on that side.

Granted, the Purples' subpar performances on the carpet the last two years doesn't give them much ammunition for an argument.

Based on seeing these teams at least once, I think LexCath would have beaten the Purples as well. CovCath barely got out of Lexington with the win. And a Johnson Central/ Bowling Green game would have been a toss up. I also think a Highlands/BG game from last year would have been a toss up.