Open Job: St. Henry (New Program)

50 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Frank apparently you don't remember what happened at Brossart when the KHSAA bumped them to 2A after an appeal to remain in 1A because they would only have 2A numbers for a season. Darn near shut the program down. I would imagine they have learned a great deal by observing Holy Cross and Brossart. If I was Grant Brannen I might contact Randy Borchers at Cooper for some input on getting it up and running. He started Cooper's program from scratch. Both are NCC guys. Coach Borchers isn't coming there....but he knows what it takes to get going.

If I'm Grant Brannen and I'm calling Randy Borchers, I'm going to do more than ask for advice.  Randy has over 15 years at Cooper.  Not sure how much total time he has in public school.  Maybe he is ready to retire and go to work for the Diocese.  It never hurts to ask.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

If I'm Grant Brannen and I'm calling Randy Borchers, I'm going to do more than ask for advice.  Randy has over 15 years at Cooper.  Not sure how much total time he has in public school.  Maybe he is ready to retire and go to work for the Diocese.  It never hurts to ask.  

KTRS allows for full retirement benefits, regardless of age, if you have 27 or more years of credited service. Then (I believe) if you have more than 5 years of credited service but fewer than 27, you're eligible for full retirement benefits once you reach the age of 60. And if you are 55 years old with more than 5 years of service but fewer than 27, there's a reduction rate that applies to your retirement...so still eligible to retire, but not with full benefits.

Anyway, so I know Randy has been a teacher at least since the 2005-06 school year. He started as head football coach (and teacher) at Ludlow that fall. He had been an assistant at Ludlow since the 2000 football season, and I believe he was also teaching there for at least some of that time. He's a '96 grad from New Cath, which would have put him on course to finish his undergrad in May of 2000, so that means when he started as an assistant football coach for the 2000 football season (which was fall of the 2000-01 school year), he could have potentially been starting as a faculty member at Ludlow then as well.

So if he did start teaching in 2000-01 at Ludlow, that would make this year his 24th year of credited service in KTRS. And he's only around 45, maybe 46 years old right now. So he needs at least 3 more years of working in public schools.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great heads up on the St Timothy situation. In the St Henry situation I hope they get a coach that knows how to do all the small things that keep a program on task. I’m assuming they’ll have outstanding support from the administration and community, bc if you don’t have that then you make it real rough on the HC. I guess my question would be, would you rather have a young first time head coach with little to no experience in dealing with the higher ups, or a seasoned HC who can “groom”  a up and comer with out them having to deal with all the extras right away? I’m going with experience first.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

No, unfortunately I don't have much idea on timeline for St. Tim's High School. One of my brothers was the architect for the expansion project on the elementary, and part of his programming phase for that project included development of a master plan for the parish to add in a high school. I need to go back and ask him what came of their discussion for a future St. Tim's sports stadium and where in the world they intended that to be located. I do know, though, that he was told by the parish council that they intend on having a football program start at the same time that they open the high school.

Not disputing your information and St. Tim's is gonna St. Tim's because that's what they do, but if the diocese allows this Catholics should sue the Bishop for malpractice.  The diocese can't help the schools it currently has much less add a new high school.  Not to mention the foresight here is next level ignorant.  So the diocese owned all the land behind St. Tim's correct ?? Wasn't that going to be a Catholic Cemetery ??  Well it's now a Drees neighborhood.  Outside of St. Tim's growth (due solely to its geographical location) and St. Pius not one Catholic grade school has added a class per grade since the Great Recession.  They have either maintained or dropped in overall enrollment.  The Diocese should be focused on upgrading what they already have.  Wait... that makes too much sense.  So St. Tim's will probably have high school football before Holy Cross builds their new athletic center under Diocesan logic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Breds82 said:

Great heads up on the St Timothy situation. In the St Henry situation I hope they get a coach that knows how to do all the small things that keep a program on task. I’m assuming they’ll have outstanding support from the administration and community, bc if you don’t have that then you make it real rough on the HC. I guess my question would be, would you rather have a young first time head coach with little to no experience in dealing with the higher ups, or a seasoned HC who can “groom”  a up and comer with out them having to deal with all the extras right away? I’m going with experience first.

Agree on your HC thoughts. Gotta be someone who has been there before to help lift the program off the ground. My only other questions which could possibly change my opinion on whether they go experienced vs, new up & comer is who is their admin and are there any football ties or experience there? And who is on the committee. If those are full of former coaches or serious ties, then I’m less worried if I’m St. Henry going after a younger guy. 

Now the problem remains, you’re selling a dream while telling an experienced varsity head coach they a) aren’t going to be actually coaching for at least a season or b) you are going to be coaching middle school and JV football for at least a season. I believe for those reasons, it’s going to be a harder fill than people think. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KYFootballFanz said:

Gary Pence. He’s currently the head coach of Coopers Froshmore team. He would be a great hire.

I don’t believe he coaches the Cooper freshman team anymore. I believe he basically only does Varsity now.  As he is listed on their roster as the Varsity QB Coach and Special Teams Coordinator for Cooper, while also being the JV Head Coach on Saturdays. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is going to be interesting to watch this program develop. St. Henry has a good talent pool. They are competitive in the sports they participate in and I expect the same in football. I don't think they will draw the top players that might otherwise go to Cov Cath, but they can take some talented athletes from Cov Cath. And, yes, I think it is an opportunity for a coach to settle in to and stay for a long time. This program will have success.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

I don't think there are really any head coaches around NKY who are going to be looking to move any time soon. Are Brossart or Taphouse looking to get back in the saddle? Wooly maybe? Where's good old Dave Wirth these days?

LOL, you took Dave's name right out of my mouth!  He was at Purcell Marian then he moved to Summit Country Day.....He must be gone from Summit based on what I just saw on their website a Coach Mark Hafner's first year coaching has been this fall at Summit, so Dave must have left maybe after the 2022 season.  No clue if he's walking the sidelines somewhere this year or not.

18 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

LOL, you took Dave's name right out of my mouth!  He was at Purcell Marian then he moved to Summit Country Day.....He must be gone from Summit based on what I just saw on their website a Coach Mark Hafner's first year coaching has been this fall at Summit, so Dave must have left maybe after the 2022 season.  No clue if he's walking the sidelines somewhere this year or not.

Found him, he's a coach on the staff at McNicholas High School....FWIW

@The Oracle

11 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

It is going to be interesting to watch this program develop. St. Henry has a good talent pool. They are competitive in the sports they participate in and I expect the same in football. I don't think they will draw the top players that might otherwise go to Cov Cath, but they can take some talented athletes from Cov Cath. And, yes, I think it is an opportunity for a coach to settle in to and stay for a long time. This program will have success.

In the old days, some Catholic family players in Boone County would travel all the way over to Holy Cross  to go to school because they knew that they could get football playing time (as opposed to going to Covington Catholic).  Not so much lately (if any).

On 10/31/2023 at 1:44 PM, REALSPORT said:

He has a few public school years remaining to get to 27.

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to Open Job: St. Henry (New Program) - Hired Tim Odom
  • Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Open Job: St. Henry (New Program)
  • theguru locked this topic