Best teams to come up short.

Ok, more off season discussions.  It can be your school or just a team that you watched a couple of times.  But the question is....what is the best team you ever saw that did not win a state title.  Let's limit it to teams that made at least the semifinals.  I know there are others, but just for this discussion let's keep it to 4th round or better teams.  

9 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

Ok, more off season discussions.  It can be your school or just a team that you watched a couple of times.  But the question is....what is the best team you ever saw that did not win a state title.  Let's limit it to teams that made at least the semifinals.  I know there are others, but just for this discussion let's keep it to 4th round or better teams.  

1994 Boone County.  Shaun Alexander's senior year and they were 14-0 and ranked in top 25 in the nation before losing to Trinity in the championship game.

• Like 8

2018 Covington Catholic Team.

After 15-0 2017, they followed up with a 14 wins upon finally falling in the state championship game to South Warren in finishing 14-1, which then was followed up by a 15-0 2019 season as well. 

• Like 1

I will say the 1993 Prestonsburg team that lost in the state championship to my Mayfield Cardinals. They were huge and really good. In the semis they beat Danville at the Admirals house. I think they stopped a record that Danville had going of consecutive wins. Sometimes you are good, and sometimes you are lucky. We needed some luck to beat those boys that day.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cincydragons said:

1994 Boone County.  Shaun Alexander's senior year and they were 14-0 and ranked in top 25 in the nation before losing to Trinity in the championship game.

I watched that game, immediately following the 3A championship between Cov Cath and Bowling Green.

Two of Trinity's three scores came on big plays, starting with an 89 yard return for touchdown on the opening kickoff, and then with a 56 yard touchdown run in the 4th quarter after both of the players in position to make tackles for Boone County were tripped up by the turf monster. Boone County had a more than legitimate shot at beating the Rocks. Trinity's offense spent most of the game on their own side of the field, while Boone's offense spent most of the game on Trinity's side of things.

Final score was 21-7 Trinity. Take away those two "oops" plays by Boone County, and you'd have had a nail-biter of a game. And I personally think Boone would have definitely won, had things gone to overtime. Obviously they didn't have that opportunity, though 😅

• Like 4

I’m going to go with the Dayton Green Devils 1996 football team. Likely Dayton’s most talented and athletic team that hasn’t won a state championship. If they advanced in their quarterfinal loss to Beechwood that year, I believe they brought the trophy home. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BEChargers said:

I will also add the 1987 Boone County team.  That team was also undefeated going into the state championship.  Beat the favorite Fairdale in the semis and then played Shelby County in the finals.  Had previously beat Shelby County pretty easily (I want to say either 28-0 or 28-7).  Got down 17-0 early in the championship and made a comeback in 2nd half but fell short 17-14.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hrcarrier said:

I’m going to go with the Dayton Green Devils 1996 football team. Likely Dayton’s most talented and athletic team that hasn’t won a state championship. If they advanced in their quarterfinal loss to Beechwood that year, I believe they brought the trophy home. 

Good choice, although they would have had their hands full with Harrodsburg in the finals, who Beechwood went to overtime to beat (Beechwood shut out Harrodsburg the next season). I definitely think that Dayton team would have beat Pikeville in the semifinals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GBR said:

I will say the 1993 Prestonsburg team that lost in the state championship to my Mayfield Cardinals. They were huge and really good. In the semis they beat Danville at the Admirals house. I think they stopped a record that Danville had going of consecutive wins. Sometimes you are good, and sometimes you are lucky. We needed some luck to beat those boys that day.

Yes, Danville had won 42 straight games and had romped over Prestonsburg, 37-6, the previous season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hrcarrier said:

1996 was my first season at Mason, and Dayton gave us our first loss. Kicked our tails good. At Paris, we played Dayton in the first round of the playoffs, 1993. We got them, but they gave us all we wanted. Tough, hard-nosed players.... a reflection of their top-notch football coach, Dan Ridder.

1992, 1993, & 1994.. we (Paris) were in a district opposite of NewCath, Beechwood, Bellevue, Lloyd, & Dayton. They were all good. We were able to get them all but Beechwood. The Tigers won the state title in 1993 & 1994. That dang Greg Hergott & Mike Yeagle! Lol. Throw in Berger, Lubrecht, Huth, Wulfeck.... know I am leaving out some names... good grief... excellent football teams. Mike Yeagle was ahead of his time. Everyone else, their formations gave you a great indication on the play they would run. Mike, was in the double slot run and shoot set. Horizontally and vertically, he could attack the entire field. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GBR said:

Saw Bill Letton interviewed on the news after that holding call on the goalline. Incredible response. All class. Much respect for Bill. 

When I went to the doctor for my torn ACL, it was either Bill or Mark Catlett (eventual Ballard coach) was also hurt and going to the doctor. We were all at Centre. Freshman year. Bill and Mark could play. I was running scout team QB. Terrible, but having the time of my life playing football everyday. If we could make the defense do up downs, that was a victory!  Lol

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cincydragons said:

Listened to this game on an actual radio why shooting hoops in the driveway with my brothers. We (and I’d assume all of NKY) all were rooting for the Rebs.

• Like 1