Open Job: Beechwood

theguru

1 hour ago, 9068 said:

I don't know. Whatever they have been doing seems to be working very well lol. Baseball is big at Beechwood but don't know about track and field. I imagine that players not in a spring sport do something organized.

For sure. If it isn't broke, don't fix it; right? I figured they may want to have a coach in place if they did traditionally do something. 

1 hour ago, hector607 said:

Any scenario of Hergott leaving for any reason other than his own will is ridiculous. I’d pass on Saban if meant keeping Hergott. 

Coaching is an interesting profession. Gotta be careful with who you upset, opponents one day, could be interviewing for the next. 

Rash being at Beechwood for 17 years is now the exception rather than the rule.   For the most part, these days, a lot of schools will churning through coaches.   They are younger and starting families.  Time with their kids does, and should, take priority over time with other peoples kids.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Raven said:

Rash being at Beechwood for 17 years is now the exception rather than the rule.   For the most part, these days, a lot of schools will churning through coaches.   They are younger and starting families.  Time with their kids does, and should, take priority over time with other peoples kids.

Especially considering how poorly coaching pays. 

• Like 5

On 2/15/2023 at 11:58 AM, theguru said:

I had someone send me this:

Jeff Slagle was the Beechwood coach before Mariani 1972 and resigned in spring 1973. Bernie Barre became the head coach when he was 23 years old.

Dang!  You are right!  It was Slagle and then Mariani! Man, when the long term memory starts to go…..

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Dang!  You are right!  It was Slagle and then Mariani! Man, when the long term memory starts to go…..

I know right.  You should see the rest of the email I got (not for BGP stuff) it was hilarious. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, theguru said:

Especially considering how poorly coaching pays. 

I'd say 95% if not more of people working in education are woefully underpaid.  Coaching or not.  But you are right, for the added responsibilities they take on, a few thousand extra a year doesn't cut it.

12 minutes ago, The Raven said:

I'd say 95% if not more of people working in education are woefully underpaid.  Coaching or not.  But you are right, for the added responsibilities they take on, a few thousand extra a year doesn't cut it.

I disagree, teaching is a solid paying job with elite benefits. 

Back to high school football, head coaches are woefully underpaid in Kentucky.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, theguru said:

Disagree on pay when you look at how inflation is outstripping what teachers are earning.  There is evidence that a teacher salary here goes 15-20% less than it did 20 years ago.  Benefits are good, though, as with most public employee jobs.

I'm interested to see what Beechwood does with this hire since they are the sister district opposite Danville now.

9 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

Disagree on pay when you look at how inflation is outstripping what teachers are earning.  There is evidence that a teacher salary here goes 15-20% less than it did 20 years ago.  Benefits are good, though, as with most public employee jobs.

I'm interested to see what Beechwood does with this hire since they are the sister district opposite Danville now.

Inflation is outstripping almost all of us but that is a whole other discussion. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, theguru said:

Back to high school football, head coaches are woefully underpaid in Kentucky.

Usually in agreement with you, but this is a rough take, especially the elite benefits portion.

Do we have any inside sources mentioning who may be interested?