Open Job: Beechwood

theguru

39 minutes ago, Falcon Pride said:

Just to play devils advocate as I don’t have a dog in the fight, do you REALLY want the kids input on a position like this?

There is a poster on here (NL Tanker) who swears that the kids had input on another HUGE coaching job in the state (T) and the results have been underwhelming as far as Alums are concerned.

I am glad you didn't @NLTanker1 on this one. 😂

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, TheConch said:

I am of the belief it is always good to have 1 or 2 seniors or captains in on the process, as it is their team, and if they do not buy in, the new coach will not be successful to begin with, but I do not believe they should have any significant weight on a decision. Simply being apart of the conversation or getting updates that they can then take to their team is sufficient enough for a high school kid deciding the future of a program. 

Slippery slope involving the kiddos. 

• Like 2

BW is going to get a ton of interest!  Great school, great tradition and trending well.  I am sure Neff is very popular and kids love him and will do great things.  I just don’t see a 16 year old getting the keys of a dream muscle car.  Heck you let him co-pilot and enjoy the ride.  For those that watched NWO forever!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HedgeHog8 said:

How do you choose which kids? Which kids do you choose?

To live dangerously, whose kid do you chose? Even more important sometimes, whose kid do you not choose...

Slippery slope indeed...

On top of that, do you tell the coaches being interviewed that there will be kids involved because it almost assures it will not be a secret and if you are currently coaching somewhere else it will get back to them. 

16 minutes ago, theguru said:

On top of that, do you tell the coaches being interviewed that there will be kids involved because it almost assures it will not be a secret and if you are currently coaching somewhere else it will get back to them. 

Having a Senior player as part of the interview committee is a great idea. I know this was done in the Highlands search a couple of years ago. The player was chosen by the AD I believe. That player rep was able to ask a limited number of questions brought to him by his teammates. The player rep can give input on the candidates as the other members of the hiring committee would. I think it is good for the "Grown Ups" to hear from someone that is going to be coached by the candidate. 

Realistically, how long will this search take? I assume OC and DC will stay in place? If not, this is late in the game to be hiring a coach if many changes are being made. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 11:18 AM, theguru said:

I think Coach Barre was an assistant first to Coach Fred Mariani. This thread gives us some info. Anyone? @Beechwoodfan

I did a little of my usual poking around and looking up records after you bumped that thread, Ru.

So all-time, Beechwood has a record of 609-271-7 (68.66% winning) in its 79 seasons of football. Coach Rash is the winningest head coach in program history with his record of 193-46 (80.75% winning) in 17 seasons. Mike Yeagle is behind Rash with a record of 171-24 (87.69% winning) in 14 seasons, and Bernie Barre is third behind Yeagle with a record of 135-54 (71.43& winning) in 16 seasons.

Rash's teams account for 8 state championships, Yeagle's teams account for 8 state championships, and Barre's teams account for 1 state championship. Yeagle was 8-2 in state finals appearances, Rash was 8-1 in state finals appearances, Barre was 1-0 in state finals appearances, Burnett was 0-1 in state finals appearances, and Mariani was 0-1 in finals appearances.

Coach Rash's teams account for 31.69% of the program's all-time wins.

FphHoREXoAgPcW3.jpg

FphHpzyXoAAywR1.jpg

FphHq6uXEBshWkB.jpg

FphHshpXEBcLwQq.jpg

FphH_N_XEAAn4bq.jpg

FphICO_XEAwIlMz.jpg

FphIDZsXEBcX_Ip.jpg

FphIEe4XEBAgdbc.jpg

FphJIQtXEBow-q1.jpg

FphJLAGX0AAChbK.jpg

FphJMNcXEA0hNOK.jpg

FphJNkWXEAUfnjW.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think what I posted earlier is being taken a little too far. No one is saying that kids should select the coach, definitely not me. First for all to understand is BW is a legit program. This isn’t a “kids want someone or they are leaving” scenario. This is the search for the next Noel Rash, Yeager, Barre. The players are there. The backing is there. The facilities are there. Don’t over complicate things. Ya’ll citing  X & Os and Head Coaching experience as the basis of hiring are missing the overall point. My son, a product of the program, knows everyone in that building / staff.  He has also seen the inside of two D1 programs now, and is a pretty good judge of football.  I shared HIS opinion on the matter since we have 17 pages of adults sharing theirs. Hands down he had one recommendation. One. 

Successful teams have many strong component. In sports and life in general. A strong component doesn’t make a leader.  The Beechwood HC job is a leader more  in either than anything else IMO. 

What. A. Fun. Topic.  😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Having a Senior player as part of the interview committee is a great idea. I know this was done in the Highlands search a couple of years ago. The player was chosen by the AD I believe. That player rep was able to ask a limited number of questions brought to him by his teammates. The player rep can give input on the candidates as the other members of the hiring committee would. I think it is good for the "Grown Ups" to hear from someone that is going to be coached by the candidate. 

Realistically, how long will this search take? I assume OC and DC will stay in place? If not, this is late in the game to be hiring a coach if many changes are being made. 

Didn't the Bluebirds have a little trouble filling their job? I think the entire committee struggled a bit. You need a special young person on the committee. Does that then become the standard on every coaching hire in every sport? The guy only retired about a week ago right?

17 minutes ago, LoudenSwain said:

I think what I posted earlier is being taken a little too far. No one is saying that kids should select the coach, definitely not me. First for all to understand is BW is a legit program. This isn’t a “kids want someone or they are leaving” scenario. This is the search for the next Noel Rash, Yeager, Barre. The players are there. The backing is there. The facilities are there. Don’t over complicate things. Ya’ll citing  X & Os and Head Coaching experience as the basis of hiring are missing the overall point. My son, a product of the program, knows everyone in that building / staff.  He has also seen the inside of two D1 programs now, and is a pretty good judge of football.  I shared HIS opinion on the matter since we have 17 pages of adults sharing theirs. Hands down he had one recommendation. One. 

Successful teams have many strong component. In sports and life in general. A strong component doesn’t make a leader.  The Beechwood HC job is a leader more  in either than anything else IMO. 

What. A. Fun. Topic.  😎

yeager.jpg

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Runcible Owl said:

Wins, kills, speed of sound. Whatever it takes.

From Google/Wikipedia: 

Brigadier General Charles Elwood Yeager (/ˈjeɪɡər/ YAY-gər, February 13, 1923 – December 7, 2020) was a United States Air Force officer, flying ace, and record-setting test pilot who in October 1947 became the first pilot in history confirmed to have exceeded the speed of sound in level flight.

• Like 2

Letting the kids decide the next Coach  , or even have major input is a poor decision. The kids like what they know and are looking for a continuation of what Coach Rash did. That’s asking a lot of the “Guy that follows the guy”., and isn’t fair to him. Just hire the best applicant and let him do his thing. The kids will get over it and respond to the guy that is best qualified.