Open Job: Beechwood

theguru

22 hours ago, Beechwoodfan said:

Bernie Barre and another Beechwood great, Jim Proccacino, both came to Beechwood the same year as student teachers and stayed.  Bernie was Fred Mariani’s assistant coach for the 74 team that was the first Beechwood team to go down state (but lost). He also was then the assistant for Jeff Slagle’s one year as coach the following year, and became HC in 1976.

FWIT, I also heard that none of the assistant coaches want the job.

I had someone send me this:

Jeff Slagle was the Beechwood coach before Mariani 1972 and resigned in spring 1973. Bernie Barre became the head coach when he was 23 years old.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 6:02 PM, LoudenSwain said:

From what I witnessed, to keep the program at its current level, new coach has to be in the building. His impact on kids all day, not just after school, was a huge reason for the success IMO. Not saying success couldn’t happen with an outside person, but wouldn’t be the same. He was all in, always available, and the kids knew it. 

Problem is Noel is not retiring from teaching and not aware of any admin/teaching positions that will be open this year.  Of course, that could change. 

2 minutes ago, Geek61 said:

Problem is Noel is not retiring from teaching and not aware of any admin/teaching positions that will be open this year.  Of course, that could change. 

Are you saying there is a chance the new Beechwood coach would have to be a para-professional that is not in the building?

2 minutes ago, Geek61 said:

No school every has a 0% turnover rate, but the issue is more likely to be that it's a limited number in limited areas. Better hope that candidate is certified to teach business, math, etc., whatever is open because there WILL be highly qualified applicants vying for that spot and even Beechwood can't simply fill it with the football coach. 

23 hours ago, TheConch said:

I would have to imagine Eviston is more likely to take the Beechwood job than he would be with the Moeller job. As Beechwood would present a more stable position than Moeller would, his commute would be virtually the same to Beechwood as to CovCath, and, not sure how this works with independent school district, but would his children be required to pay tuition or would Eviston being an employer come with free tuition although outside of Fort Mitchell.

23 hours ago, theguru said:

No idea on the tuition question and I think I agree on Beechwood over Moeller (can't believe I just said that) but Moeller is Ohio D1 football and Beechwood is Kentucky small school football so who knows. 

I think Moeller is more feasible for Eviston than BW.  If I'm not mistaken, BW is like any other public school in KY in which teachers have to be certified, which Eviston is not.  Eviston likely will only be able to get some type of aide position at BW.  Moeller, being a Catholic school, and presumably very similar to CovCath, the certification is not needed.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

I think Moeller is more feasible for Eviston than BW.  If I'm not mistaken, BW is like any other public school in KY in which teachers have to be certified, which Eviston is not.  Eviston likely will only be able to get some type of aide position at BW.  Moeller, being a Catholic school, and presumably very similar to CovCath, the certification is not needed.

Many school districts provide emergency certificates for non certified teachers. This is becoming more and more common with the current shortage of teachers. Obviously, this varies by district, and I'm not sure that Beechwood would use this path, but it possible.

20 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

Fair point. I’m sure Beechwood could find him a position doing something in the building if they want him. 

Director of Traffic, Parking, & Construction sounds good. DTPC for short. Something Beechwood has always needed help with. Or maybe Kroger hires him as Secretary of Parking (SOP) where he oversees the peaceful relationship between shoppers and students using the lot. 

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Cov_Cath_Hwy said:

Yes, Eviston does teach.

And I agree that He has to be the favorite for both.  I would imagine The Beechwood is the favorite for Him as He could have 20-25 years of success at that school for sure.

This would put a whole new spin on the CCH/Beechwood rivalry for sure…..especially over the next few years.

Does anyone remember the little incident 2 years ago after BW beat CCH and Eviston and Hergott got a little chippy? Wonder if that was just a one time thing. I do know those two together could really keep BW right at the tip top of 2A. Interesting dynamic there. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ImJustHere said:

Does anyone remember the little incident 2 years ago after BW beat CCH and Eviston and Hergott got a little chippy? Wonder if that was just a one time thing. I do know those two together could really keep BW right at the tip top of 2A. Interesting dynamic there. 

Something tells me that would be the conversation opener in the interview, to see if that can be hashed out and even continue with bringing Hergott back. Or on the other hand, he may be the first one to go lol. 

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Does Beechwood do any sort of spring football? 

I don't know. Whatever they have been doing seems to be working very well lol. Baseball is big at Beechwood but don't know about track and field. I imagine that players not in a spring sport do something organized.

4 hours ago, TheConch said:

Something tells me that would be the conversation opener in the interview, to see if that can be hashed out and even continue with bringing Hergott back. Or on the other hand, he may be the first one to go lol. 

Any scenario of Hergott leaving for any reason other than his own will is ridiculous. I’d pass on Saban if meant keeping Hergott.