Open Job: Beechwood

theguru

Don't know if he would be interested but former Paris, Mason County, and Mercer County coach David Buchanan is a great guy, very experienced, and well respected. His players have always seemed to enjoy being part of his programs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Don't know if he would be interested but former Paris, Mason County, and Mercer County coach David Buchanan is a great guy, very experienced, and well respected. His players have always seemed to enjoy being part of his programs.

IMO they need to go younger and not older with someone who can retire soon. 

This is one of those - I'll know it when I see it hires. Here are my thoughts.

Is head coaching experience necessary? - Not in my opinion. Helpful of course. But head coaching experience would work against a candidate if they don't have a record of success. If you have a losing record in any season, you have a very big hurdle to overcome.

Age? A wide range, just not on the extremes. Not too old and not too young. I would say anywhere from 30-50 works, probably more like 35 being the floor. It will be tough for someone under 30 to have a resume with enough experience but the older the candidate it is, the more likely negatives and questions are on the resume.

Teacher? - A must in my opinion. I will be shocked to the enth degree if Beechwood hires a coach who isn't going to be a teacher in the building.

Skills required? - Communicator, has to love the kids, passionate about doing it the right way, humble but confident, and a creative football mind.

If there is a coach in N. Ky. that can fill the bill, he sure isn't coming to mind. I would look across the river for that young assistant in a top notch program who is ready for the challenge.

• Like 2

Congratulations on a great coaching career for Coach Rash. My suggestion would be to hire an assistant coach, I mean it worked for 33-34 seasons. I remember when Yeagle stepped down, everyone thought there is no way anyone could step in and keep what he started, going. Coach Rash not only kept it going he took it to another level, so the pressure is on for the next coach Good thing is the community and school are 100% behind the program, not very many programs can say that.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

This is one of those - I'll know it when I see it hires. Here are my thoughts.

Is head coaching experience necessary? - Not in my opinion. Helpful of course. But head coaching experience would work against a candidate if they don't have a record of success. If you have a losing record in any season, you have a very big hurdle to overcome.

Age? A wide range, just not on the extremes. Not too old and not too young. I would say anywhere from 30-50 works, probably more like 35 being the floor. It will be tough for someone under 30 to have a resume with enough experience but the older the candidate it is, the more likely negatives and questions are on the resume.

Teacher? - A must in my opinion. I will be shocked to the enth degree if Beechwood hires a coach who isn't going to be a teacher in the building.

Skills required? - Communicator, has to love the kids, passionate about doing it the right way, humble but confident, and a creative football mind.

If there is a coach in N. Ky. that can fill the bill, he sure isn't coming to mind. I would look across the river for that young assistant in a top notch program who is ready for the challenge.

When you say it is a must for the candidate to be a teacher, would it be acceptable for them to just be in the building working each day in some capacity? For example, a name that has been thrown out a lot as a candidate is Bert Bathiany; who, out of selfish reasons I hope does not pursue the Beechwood job so that he can be the HHS coach sooner rather than later, is not a teacher. However, I believe that he does work in the building in some capacity at Lex Cath. It also sounds like Hergott and Moser are also not teachers but their names have been thrown out as potential candidates. 

I ask because I do not get the impression that there is a lot of teacher turnover in the building at Beechwood and if they MUST be a teacher that could limit the coaching pool. I would hope that is not the case and honestly think Beechwood would make a position available for the right guy. Also, very few head coaches I have come across actually teach (maybe a class or two a day). What did Rash teach? Just curious what you think. 

Another name that I would throw out as a potential applicant could be Joe Wynn from Mason Co. 

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

When you say it is a must for the candidate to be a teacher, would it be acceptable for them to just be in the building working each day in some capacity? For example, a name that has been thrown out a lot as a candidate is Bert Bathiany; who, out of selfish reasons I hope does not pursue the Beechwood job so that he can be the HHS coach sooner rather than later, is not a teacher. However, I believe that he does work in the building in some capacity at Lex Cath. It also sounds like Hergott and Moser are also not teachers but their names have been thrown out as potential candidates. 

I ask because I do not get the impression that there is a lot of teacher turnover in the building at Beechwood and if they MUST be a teacher that could limit the coaching pool. I would hope that is not the case and honestly think Beechwood would make a position available for the right guy. Also, very few head coaches I have come across actually teach (maybe a class or two a day). What did Rash teach? Just curious what you think. 

Another name that I would throw out as a potential applicant could be Joe Wynn from Mason Co. 

I definitely think the ideal candidate would be a teacher in the building.  To just have the coach in the building at times during the day is different from interacting with the students all day in the classroom.  With Noel, it just wasn’t about the boys.  He taught my daughter and she loved him.  He has such an unassuming way of making kids think they can do anything.  That particular part of his magic will be hard to replace.

That being said, if the ideal candidate needs a job, I imagine the school will find one.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

I definitely think the ideal candidate would be a teacher in the building.  To just have the coach in the building at times during the day is different from interacting with the students all day in the classroom.  With Noel, it just wasn’t about the boys.  He taught my daughter and she loved him.  He has such an unassuming way of making kids think they can do anything.  That particular part of his magic will be hard to replace.

That being said, if the ideal candidate needs a job, I imagine the school will find one.

Sounds eerily similar to how Coach Mueller was at HHS. You didn't have to play ball for him to have an impact on you and it sounds like that is how Coach Rash was as well. For what it is worth, I completely agree with you and VOR that ideally any HC is also in the classroom in some capacity and would hope most coaches would want to be. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I was told by a pretty reliable source that Bob Sphire made the deal with Wes Caldwell (his former player at Lex Cath and the AD who hired him at Highlands) to come back to Kentucky and coach at Highlands with the intent of setting things up at Highlands for the baton to eventually be passed on to Hayden Sphire.

I agree but Keep in mind that the AD does not do any hire/fire in Ft. Thomas. That would be the Principal and Superintendent. The Principal and Super that hired coach Sphire are no longer in Ft. Thomas. Many things that were offered have been modified or have not happened. Mr. Caldwell is still in place but he cannot make that sort of decision.