Daddy Ball Reigns Supreme at Highlands

2 hours ago, Paul Pierce - The Truth said:

Last night's game was disappointing to say the least.  I will attempt to summarize my rationale.  

Coaching Staff:

Hayden is young, inexperienced and impetuous with his decisions.  Hard to imagine an OC making more rash, emotional, short term decisions that will affect this program (and the young men in it) more negatively in the long term.  His youth and inexperience showed up Saturday.  What has he been doing all Spring and Summer?

Play your best 11 on offense and defense regardless of whether your father coaches.  Bob Sphire needs to end this.  The players know, the other coaches know and the fans know.  Absolutely ridiculous this still goes on at HHS.  Coach Sphire was hired as an "outsider" and that was appealing.  Daddy Ball would FINALLY end.  Clearly it has not. What does it take to get the best 11 on the field?

Head Coach:

You need to coach the coaches as much or more than the players.  You have declared "bigger and stronger" a priority.  The kids have bought in and delivered, yet you don't play the biggest and strongest. The O Line isn't moving people, yet the biggest and strongest aren't even on the field.  Why is that?

If you came to Highlands hoping to find success so your son could take over as coach one day, this isn't how to do it.  He isn't close to being ready for much of anything at this point.  Your positional coaches prioritize their sons over those that should play, and personnel decisions are suspect at best.  What game tape do you watch?

Do better, be better.  You are running the risk of losing this team and the town.

How many coaches are dads of current players and coach the son’s position group?  
To my knowledge, there is only 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

How many coaches are dads of current players and coach the son’s position group?  
To my knowledge, there is only 1.

There are 7-8 dads of current players in the program on staff. As to whether or not they coach their son’s position, I honestly can’t say to that as I don’t know for sure and I don’t want to put forth false information.

I was the one on here months ago that expressed concern over the trend of dads being on staff and was concerned about the sheer number of dads on staff. I was basically told I didn’t know what I was talking about by multiple posters. 

The point is that no matter how much you try to put any bias aside, it is hard to not fight for your son and want him to play over someone who is not your son. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

There are 7-8 dads of current players in the program on staff. As to whether or not they coach their son’s position, I honestly can’t say to that as I don’t know for sure and I don’t want to put forth false information.

I was the one on here months ago that expressed concern over the trend of dads being on staff and was concerned about the sheer number of dads on staff. I was basically told I didn’t know what I was talking about by multiple posters. 

The point is that no matter how much you try to put any bias aside, it is hard to not fight for your son and want him to play over someone who is not your son. 

There were 5 coaches with players in the program but one player decided not to play this season so four coaches with players in the program. 

Of the 4 coaches, 2 have a player on the varsity roster while the other 2 have a player on the Frosh team. 

One coach has a player in the position group that he coaches. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Finkle Ray said:

Oh yes, how soon we forget he wasn't even the first choice. He was hired more out of necessity.

This is not even close to being a fair statement.  
Do you know if Sphire even originally applied for the position? And if he had applied was he in fact not the first choice?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Do you know if Sphire even originally applied for the position? And if he had applied was he in fact not the first choice?

If he was the first choice, then he would have to tell Highlands no?

4 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

I do. He did not originally apply. He was not the first, second or third choice. He was hired because of his connection to the current AD. The committee formed to interview and select a new coach disbanded within a week and left the hiring up to the AD and Princlpal (at the time). Thus creating this hire.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

There were 5 coaches with players in the program but one player decided not to play this season so four coaches with players in the program. 

Of the 4 coaches, 2 have a player on the varsity roster while the other 2 have a player on the Frosh team. 

One coach has a player in the position group that he coaches. 

I did not realize a coach who was on staff last year with a son playing left. And taking into account the player who quit. With that said there are 6 dads of current players on staff. The part that worries me the most is the idea that your son becomes a HHS player and suddenly you’re a coach. Bad precedent to set and clearly isn’t working. 

Let me say this.  A dad can be a coach and a pretty good one as long as they can look at things objectively and treat their kids like any other on the team.  The question is do you coach to teach the game or do you coach because your kid is in the program?  I coached my kids in every sport and many would say they got treated worse than anyone else on the team.  Not because they were bad or anything, just wanted the team to understand the expectations that I was expecting from everyone on the team.

Based upon what I am reading and hearing there seem to be factions within the team that have bought in fully, some a little and others not at all.  Easy way to deal with that if you are a coach who has your hand on the pulse of your team.

Having a 25 year old offensive coordinator is asking for trouble in my opinion for many reasons, the biggest of which is earning your stripes and not solely because your father is the head coach.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I did not realize a coach who was on staff last year with a son playing left. And taking into account the player who quit. With that said there are 6 dads of current players on staff. The part that worries me the most is the idea that your son becomes a HHS player and suddenly you’re a coach. Bad precedent to set and clearly isn’t working. 

Is it 4 or 6?

And, I’m curious, which coaches do people have problems with and why? Are these dads not qualified to be high school position coaches?  

• Like 1