Daddy Ball Reigns Supreme at Highlands

2 hours ago, Bluesport said:

The funniest thing I have read on here in quite some time.

I was quite taken back as I read it the first time. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th times were precautionary just to make sure I wasn’t crazy and read what I read. 

Turns out, it actually was written. 

Highlands had Michael Mayer 2.0, we’re all doomed! 

17 hours ago, Football1111 said:

To follow up on your points, you said “play your best 11 on offense and defense regardless of whether your father coaches”. I agree, but there are only two coaches with sons that play to my knowledge, Coach Welsh and Coach Nevels. Which coach are you insinuating is playing Daddy Ball? And who are the best 11 in your opinion? Saturday Welsh did not play much, but he did really well, as did Nevels. I can only I assume you’re talking about Nevels since he played most of the game? Which I hope not, because that would be the most asinine comment I’ve ever heard! If anything, the program has done that kid a HUGE disservice. Nevels and Benke are the two kids on the team that look completely different than everyone else, and neither have been properly developed. My son trained with the Nevels brothers last summer and they did vertical jump testing one day, I asked him who has the highest and he said Nevels smoked everyone on the team with a 38-inch vertical. He had the longest broad jump too. He looks about 6’3 and he’s big and fast, kid is an absolute freak athlete. Benke looked like an NFL player on the field Saturday, he’s a physical specimen. Any good program would’ve seen them both and developed their skills from freshman, there’s no way in the world they shouldn’t be D1 right now. Benke is built just like Michael Meyer and just as athletic. 

So, to the original question, who is playing Daddy Ball? There are only two coaches with sons on the team that play. Who do you think is better than either one of their kids that should be on the field? 

Wow! Highlands has a Michael Mayer and didn’t even know it? Where have I been? I guess under a Rock. I need to head to the Hardware Store to get some more Glue. Apparently it’s missing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BirdDaddy said:

Wow! Highlands has a Michael Mayer and didn’t even know it? Where have I been? I guess under a Rock. I need to head to the Hardware Store to get some more Glue. Apparently it’s missing.

What can a Michael Mayer do for you?

-Run sideline to sideline and make any tackle on the field from the middle backer position.

-Catch a pass thrown up in his general direction. 

-Put a team from Ohio back on the bus wondering who just ran over their D1 defensive backs, as Marshawn Lynch would say, “over and over and over and over and over, and over again.”

-Sorry Fredrick Douglass, I’ll save you the note and reminder of what a Michael Mayer meant unfortunately for you guys, when you played a significantly less talented team in the 2019 state game.

To those on Highlands schedule: Goodluck dealing with the next Mr. Football! 

And to all the “daddy’s” coaching the Fort Thomas Michael Mayer, do yourself a favor to get some heat off your back about coaching your son, and get the ball to Big Mike! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TheConch said:

I was quite taken back as I read it the first time. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th times were precautionary just to make sure I wasn’t crazy and read what I read. 

Turns out, it actually was written. 

Highlands had Michael Mayer 2.0, we’re all doomed! 

You may need to read it a 6th time. They compared his size to Michael MEYER not Mayer. Big difference. 😉

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

You may need to read it a 6th time. They compared his size to Michael MEYER not Mayer. Big difference. 😉

"....built just like Michael Mayer and just as athletic..."

edit:  I realize you were having fun with the last name misspelling, as you were.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheConch said:

What can a Michael Mayer do for you?

-Run sideline to sideline and make any tackle on the field from the middle backer position.

-Catch a pass thrown up in his general direction. 

-Put a team from Ohio back on the bus wondering who just ran over their D1 defensive backs, as Marshawn Lynch would say, “over and over and over and over and over, and over again.”

-Sorry Fredrick Douglass, I’ll save you the note and reminder of what a Michael Mayer meant unfortunately for you guys, when you played a significantly less talented team in the 2019 state game.

To those on Highlands schedule: Goodluck dealing with the next Mr. Football! 

And to all the “daddy’s” coaching the Fort Thomas Michael Mayer, do yourself a favor to get some heat off your back about coaching your son, and get the ball to Big Mike! 

Obviously, that comparison is not correct or fair. However, there is a point in the initial statement that good athletes with next level size are not being coached/trained up. I think that is a fair statement from what I have seen. When most teams have kids that have great size and are good athletes, they find ways to use them. Hopefully that changes. 

2 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

"....built just like Michael Mayer and just as athletic..."

edit:  I realize you were having fun with the last name misspelling, as you were.

Also, he is not saying he is a great player like Mayer. He is saying he has great size for a 16 year old and is a good athlete. The point is they are not using it and coaching the players up to be great. 

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeLongTime said:

Also, he is not saying he is a great player like Mayer. He is saying he has great size for a 16 year old and is a good athlete. The point is they are not using it and coaching the players up to be great. 

Are you at practice?  Are you in the weight room?  Are you in the film room?  Are you making an assumption or do you know for a fact?

Name a coach in NKY that has put more kids in Power 5 D1 programs than Bob Sphire.  I’ll wait.

Just now, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

Are you at practice?  Are you in the weight room?  Are you in the film room?  Are you making an assumption or do you know for a fact?

Name a coach in NKY that has put more kids in Power 5 D1 programs than Bob Sphire.  I’ll wait.

I am making an assumption based off of my personal experience. I am well aware of Coach Sphire's track record and I also understand Coach has only been at HHS a little over a year.  Even after the disaster of last weekend, I do think things will get better for the team. 

• Like 2

On 8/21/2022 at 3:45 PM, Paul Pierce - The Truth said:

Last night's game was disappointing to say the least.  I will attempt to summarize my rationale.  

Coaching Staff:

Hayden is young, inexperienced and impetuous with his decisions.  Hard to imagine an OC making more rash, emotional, short term decisions that will affect this program (and the young men in it) more negatively in the long term.  His youth and inexperience showed up Saturday.  What has he been doing all Spring and Summer?

Play your best 11 on offense and defense regardless of whether your father coaches.  Bob Sphire needs to end this.  The players know, the other coaches know and the fans know.  Absolutely ridiculous this still goes on at HHS.  Coach Sphire was hired as an "outsider" and that was appealing.  Daddy Ball would FINALLY end.  Clearly it has not. What does it take to get the best 11 on the field?

Head Coach:

You need to coach the coaches as much or more than the players.  You have declared "bigger and stronger" a priority.  The kids have bought in and delivered, yet you don't play the biggest and strongest. The O Line isn't moving people, yet the biggest and strongest aren't even on the field.  Why is that?

If you came to Highlands hoping to find success so your son could take over as coach one day, this isn't how to do it.  He isn't close to being ready for much of anything at this point.  Your positional coaches prioritize their sons over those that should play, and personnel decisions are suspect at best.  What game tape do you watch?

Do better, be better.  You are running the risk of losing this team and the town.

Your reading comprehension skills could use some work. If you read that 5 times and still don't understand what I wrote, that’s pretty bad. Benke is in fact built very similar to Mayer. Benke is 6’5 240 as a junior. And he’s very athletic; he’s a 3 sport athlete that already has a state championship ring in basketball. I never said he’s as good as Mayer or Mayer 2.0, you missed the entire context. The point is, if a program sees a kid with the size and athleticism of Benke, they should develop his skills and easily turn him into a big time D1 player. Any argument?

26 minutes ago, Football1111 said:

Your reading comprehension skills could use some work. If you read that 5 times and still don't understand what I wrote, that’s pretty bad. Benke is in fact built very similar to Mayer. Benke is 6’5 240 as a junior. And he’s very athletic; he’s a 3 sport athlete that already has a state championship ring in basketball. I never said he’s as good as Mayer or Mayer 2.0, you missed the entire context. The point is, if a program sees a kid with the size and athleticism of Benke, they should develop his skills and easily turn him into a big time D1 player. Any argument?

I knew exactly what you meant. It was all in good fun. 

I agree with you.

5. No comments, whatsoever, about any member's true identity in any public forum on BGP. This includes any question, hint (whether true or not), attempt to divulge, or attempt to determine a user's identity posted in any BGP forum.

14. If you repost or quote content that is against the rules, you are similarly as guilty, and face the identical consequences as the member who originated it.