Daddy Ball Reigns Supreme at Highlands

16 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

So Highlands hired a guy that turned them down initially? That’s actually worse, IMO. 

"If you pay him, he will come" to paraphrase one of my favorite movies. Perhaps things were not real rosy in southern Georgia? That's a big move....not career wise but from a personal relocation standpoint. If I'm not mistaken everyone in the family gained employment.

I am still 100% behind Sphire and have no issue with assistant coaches. I still absolutely state make our special teams special.  Field position was awful!  It was like the perfect storm, many mistakes and confidence went in toilet.  Like I stated before less talented Senior group last year gave 100%.  More talented group were not ready did not lead and believed their own hype.  Stop worrying about hudl and protect the H!  You better be ready as SK will be on the bird hunt!  This fan is hoping last week will be a wake up call.  They are not that bad.  Taking nothing from SW but Highlands last week were bad!  That is being nice!!

• Like 2

A few things as a Highlands fan...

1.  That was as uninspired I've seen a team for an opener in a long time.  Didn't look interested or prepared.

2.  Pick a QB and stick with them.  I'm not at practice, I don't know who that is but choose one and ride or die.  The in and out isn't good for anyone.  QB struggling, swap them out.  Pick 6, swap them out.  Fumble on your goal line, swap them out.  Confidence has to be wrecked.  My .02, go with Benke for better or worse.

3.  When you make a hire like Highlands did, and give the new coach all kinds of benefits that no other coach before him or elsewhere in the school were given, I would say the leash you have for success is shorter, and the criticism of the coaching staff is what it is.  And that leads me to totally contradict myself with #4...

4.  Be patient. These are kids.  I remember Baoini taking over a floundering baseball program, struggled mightily early on.  I'd say that worked out pretty well.  Same for Listerman, basketball was down, interest was down, and the first 4-5 years for him were rough...the state championship banner looks pretty good in the gym.

Go Birds! I only hope that this week we see some pride and fire out of the boys.  If not, the contempt for the coaching staff will only grow.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throwback32 said:

A few things as a Highlands fan...

1.  That was as uninspired I've seen a team for an opener in a long time.  Didn't look interested or prepared.

2.  Pick a QB and stick with them.  I'm not at practice, I don't know who that is but choose one and ride or die.  The in and out isn't good for anyone.  QB struggling, swap them out.  Pick 6, swap them out.  Fumble on your goal line, swap them out.  Confidence has to be wrecked.  My .02, go with Benke for better or worse.

3.  When you make a hire like Highlands did, and give the new coach all kinds of benefits that no other coach before him or elsewhere in the school were given, I would say the leash you have for success is shorter, and the criticism of the coaching staff is what it is.  And that leads me to totally contradict myself with #4...

4.  Be patient. These are kids.  I remember Baoini taking over a floundering baseball program, struggled mightily early on.  I'd say that worked out pretty well.  Same for Listerman, basketball was down, interest was down, and the first 4-5 years for him were rough...the state championship banner looks pretty good in the gym.

Go Birds! I only hope that this week we see some pride and fire out of the boys.  If not, the contempt for the coaching staff will only grow.

Very well stated and could not agree more with all points raised.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Very well stated and could not agree more with all points raised.

To follow up on your points, you said “play your best 11 on offense and defense regardless of whether your father coaches”. I agree, but there are only two coaches with sons that play to my knowledge, Coach Welsh and Coach Nevels. Which coach are you insinuating is playing Daddy Ball? And who are the best 11 in your opinion? Saturday Welsh did not play much, but he did really well, as did Nevels. I can only I assume you’re talking about Nevels since he played most of the game? Which I hope not, because that would be the most asinine comment I’ve ever heard! If anything, the program has done that kid a HUGE disservice. Nevels and Benke are the two kids on the team that look completely different than everyone else, and neither have been properly developed. My son trained with the Nevels brothers last summer and they did vertical jump testing one day, I asked him who has the highest and he said Nevels smoked everyone on the team with a 38-inch vertical. He had the longest broad jump too. He looks about 6’3 and he’s big and fast, kid is an absolute freak athlete. Benke looked like an NFL player on the field Saturday, he’s a physical specimen. Any good program would’ve seen them both and developed their skills from freshman, there’s no way in the world they shouldn’t be D1 right now. Benke is built just like Michael Meyer and just as athletic. 

So, to the original question, who is playing Daddy Ball? There are only two coaches with sons on the team that play. Who do you think is better than either one of their kids that should be on the field? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Football1111 said:

To follow up on your points, you said “play your best 11 on offense and defense regardless of whether your father coaches”. I agree, but there are only two coaches with sons that play to my knowledge, Coach Welsh and Coach Nevels. Which coach are you insinuating is playing Daddy Ball? And who are the best 11 in your opinion? Saturday Welsh did not play much, but he did really well, as did Nevels. I can only I assume you’re talking about Nevels since he played most of the game? Which I hope not, because that would be the most asinine comment I’ve ever heard! If anything, the program has done that kid a HUGE disservice. Nevels and Benke are the two kids on the team that look completely different than everyone else, and neither have been properly developed. My son trained with the Nevels brothers last summer and they did vertical jump testing one day, I asked him who has the highest and he said Nevels smoked everyone on the team with a 38-inch vertical. He had the longest broad jump too. He looks about 6’3 and he’s big and fast, kid is an absolute freak athlete. Benke looked like an NFL player on the field Saturday, he’s a physical specimen. Any good program would’ve seen them both and developed their skills from freshman, there’s no way in the world they shouldn’t be D1 right now. Benke is built just like Michael Meyer and just as athletic. 

So, to the original question, who is playing Daddy Ball? There are only two coaches with sons on the team that play. Who do you think is better than either one of their kids that should be on the field? 

Informative post but did you quote the right person?

• Like 1

Can't believe I just wasted over an hour of my life reading about daddy ball by some true haters of Highlands football. I wish I had as much time as these haters of the program do who never wore the uniform to sit and complain while hiding behind their computer. What's failed to be mentioned is these "daddy ball" guys are Highlands football alumni who care deeply about the program that they want to be part of the solution not the problem. Who cares if they have a son on the team because in the current make up its not affecting anything. So the haters need to stop sitting in the stands sucking on their lollipops and be part of the solution instead of the problem because its making you look bad. These daddy ball coaches are working their tails off everyday and even during the off season at 6am for morning weights and conditioning making sure that each and every player who puts on the uniform is having a great experience. Let's not forget that only one game has been played and the haters are already allowing it to define the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Football1111 said:

The first Michael Mayer comparison I’ve seen… quite the compliment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3