What Cities Do You Sound Like You're From? (2022 Edition)

This quiz was released by the NY Times back in late 2013 and it immediately made the rounds on social media. There was a discussion thread about the quiz here on BGP as well.

25 questions about "do you use this phrase or that phrase," with a visual map after each individual question that shows which US vicinities each answer aligns most with.

Once you've answered all 25 questions (they don't take long), you're shown a map with a likely region for where you live, including 3 cities that you are more than likely from.

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk | nytimes.com

My quiz results have changed in the 8-1/2 years since I first took the quiz.

Results this time:
Louisville, KY (My use of "yard sale" related me to the city most distinctly.)
Cincinnati, OH (My use of "gym shoes" related me to the city most distinctly.)
Lexington, KY (The fact that I have no special term for a drive-through liquor store related me to the city most distinctly.)

Results in December 2013:
Cincinnati, OH (My use of "gym shoes" related me to the city most distinctly.)
Springfield, MO (My use of "crawdad" related me to the city most distinctly.)
Indianapolis, IN (My use of "blow-off" related me to the city most distinctly.)

Interestingly enough, I lived my entire life in Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati) up until I moved here to Louisville in September 2013. When I took the quiz in December 2013, it didn't identify Louisville as a potential location for me....but 8-1/2 years later, Louisville's on the list. Also, coincidentally, I'm going to be moving back up to Northern Kentucky prettttttty soon here 😁

Just now, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

My quiz results have changed in the 8-1/2 years since I first took the quiz.

@rockmom @kygirl @Randy Parker @mcpapa @B-Ball-fan @Birdsfan @Jumper_Dad @PutMeInCoach @Watusi @Jim Schue @sweet16 @colonel-fan @MJAlltheWay24 @Jaysie @Irish Cat @John Anthony @MBWC41 @OlDog75 @Run To State @TheDeuce @bugatti @PurplePride92 @swamprat @Mayfieldsportsfan @DragonFire 

...you'uns all commented with your results in the original thread in 2013. Any changes to your results if you do it again now?

Two out of three stayed same for me - Amarillo and Lubbock. But the good people of Irving have cast me out, and my third makes its home in Little Rock now. Finally easing my way back towards Kentucky. 

Interestingly, it says my pronunciation of Lawyer in a way that rhymes with Flaw is what is most distinctly tying me to Little Rock. I can assure you that answer would have been the same as nine years ago. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

@rockmom @kygirl @Randy Parker @mcpapa @B-Ball-fan @Birdsfan @Jumper_Dad @PutMeInCoach @Watusi @Jim Schue @sweet16 @colonel-fan @MJAlltheWay24 @Jaysie @Irish Cat @John Anthony @MBWC41 @OlDog75 @Run To State @TheDeuce @bugatti @PurplePride92 @swamprat @Mayfieldsportsfan @DragonFire 

...you'uns all commented with your results in the original thread in 2013. Any changes to your results if you do it again now?

CWB, I don't even remember this.  I'd have to link back to my post on it and frankly, I doubt this old guy could find it.

• 2 weeks later...

This time:

Jackson, MS 

Columbus, GA

Chattanooga, TN

In 2013:

Jackson, MS

Lexington, KY

Little Rock, AR

I guess I am moving south. I am surprised my pronunciations are all so southern. I've lived in Florida for the last 40+ years and Florida is more like a melting pot than a southern state, especially around the metropolitan areas.

Funny how these things work. Though born in Kentucky, I spent most of my early youth on Army bases all over the world. Dad retired and we moved to settled in Kentucky, where Dad was born, in 1968. I was 10. I left Whitley County when I graduated high school and the state for good in 1979. I lived in Indiana and Wisconsin before ending up here in Tampa Bay.