Open Job: Lincoln County

theguru

18 minutes ago, Seybold24 said:

I feel like I’m the only person that just wants to support the program no matter who they hire, I’m I wrong for that? All the names listed are fantastic candidates in my personal opinion. 

I can assure you, you are not alone in your support of Lincoln County football. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mr.Network said:

This couldn’t be more wrong. Don Story, Athletic Director at the time, brought Larry French to Lincoln County. 

What hires have been wrong/bad? The coach after Larry French was highly-accomplished and sought after. If his wife at the time was not from Lincoln, I doubt he would have come when he did. 

The Coach after that was already on staff and was a known entity with the admin at the time. He’s a football guy, through and through. 

Then, the most recent coach was cherry-picked by his alma mater after being seen as successful at Lincoln.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the losing seasons at Lincoln over the last twenty years are not a product of hiring wrong coaches, or having coaches who are incompetent. 

Personally, I hope either Levi or Daniel get the job, turn it all around, and stay for 30 to 40 years and becomes a coaching legend. That’s what the program needs—consistently and success—from a long term  coach (and a feeder program that is pumping out Jimmys and Joes like the good old days). 

Do you personally think Cooper can be a head coach and have success? It’s nothing against him at all, but I just don’t think he’s an option to lead the program. He is fairly young and from the people I’ve talked to close to the program have said he has very minimal knowledge of the game. I just don’t think he’d be the best hire at this time. Not saying he can’t do it, but I think he still needs to get some time learning from other coaches before he’s considered. 

14 minutes ago, ckyguy said:

Do you personally think Cooper can be a head coach and have success? It’s nothing against him at all, but I just don’t think he’s an option to lead the program. He is fairly young and from the people I’ve talked to close to the program have said he has very minimal knowledge of the game. I just don’t think he’d be the best hire at this time. Not saying he can’t do it, but I think he still needs to get some time learning from other coaches before he’s considered. 

That's the total opposite of what I'm being told, for what it's worth. I said yesterday everyone has different connections. He is young, but everyone starts somewhere. I'd be careful by questioning somebody's knowledge of the game. 

6 minutes ago, NotMattJones said:

That's the total opposite of what I'm being told, for what it's worth. I said yesterday everyone has different connections. He is young, but everyone starts somewhere. I'd be careful by questioning somebody's knowledge of the game. 

I don’t know. I’m just relaying what I was told from someone close to the program. I don’t mean anything negative towards Cooper at all. I just am curious from what I was told. I hope they find the right fit for the kids. I know he and Rogers have been running weightlifting and they are getting an outstanding number of kids to show up. 

37 minutes ago, ckyguy said:

I don’t know. I have never hired a head football coach or been one. Of the two, Rogers has much more experience than Cooper, and is the better candidate on paper.

My comment wasn’t as clear as it could have been but what I really meant was that if we knew it was going to work out for the long-term, I’d be fine with both/either. I’ve supported every coach who’s been there and I will continue to do so. The program needs consistency and success, badly. If that’s from homegrown guys, that’s even better. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr.Network said:

This couldn’t be more wrong. Don Story, Athletic Director at the time, brought Larry French to Lincoln County. 

What hires have been wrong/bad? The coach after Larry French was highly-accomplished and sought after. If his wife at the time was not from Lincoln, I doubt he would have come when he did. 

The Coach after that was already on staff and was a known entity with the admin at the time. He’s a football guy, through and through. 

Then, the most recent coach was cherry-picked by his alma mater after being seen as successful at Lincoln.

Hindsight is 20/20 but the losing seasons at Lincoln over the last twenty years are not a product of hiring wrong coaches, or having coaches who are incompetent. 

Personally, I hope either Levi or Daniel get the job, turn it all around, and stay for 30 to 40 years and becomes a coaching legend. That’s what the program needs—consistently and success—from a long term  coach (and a feeder program that is pumping out Jimmys and Joes like the good old days). 

Ask Don about the parent community who meet with him and off school grounds and push the hiring of French and Jackson. Now Don made the hires yes but he listened to everyone involved with the process not just the administration. 

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13 - Capitalization

This hire is bigger than just the HC. Coach Crutchfield had a skeleton crew of assistant coaches. Great guys but few in numbers. There are only 3 actual coaches left. Rogers, Cooper, and Marcum. Only Cooper is a teacher. Coach Marcum is pursing other things in life so he may not be back. LC is down an entire staff and to me that is a major concern. Who the HC is able to bring with them matters. Im not sure what contacts the remaining coaches at LC have in order to put together a staff. By my estimate and maybe I'm way off but it appears LC needs a HC, at least 2 coordinators, and a full slate of position coaches. This isn't a simple hire a HC and all is good. At Mercer they have an intact group of coaches that just needs a HC. Not the case at LC. I would like to think had the LC coaches had great contacts they would have tried to bring them on staff in the previous years. Maybe I'm wrong.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:54 PM, NotMattJones said:

I would think a few of these guys will be interested. Jaggers, Foley, Clevenger makes sense.  Not sure about the others. Real question: Is Buchanan interested at Lincoln? 

I could be wrong but I wouldn’t think Buchanan would leave Mercer for Lincoln.  Football has good support from administration and community at Mercer.  No sports competing with football at Mercer as basketball is way down and baseball a non factor.  Great track program at Mercer that does nothing but help football.  Mercer’s weight room and complex as good if not better than most around the area. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:54 PM, NotMattJones said:

I would think a few of these guys will be interested. Jaggers, Foley, Clevenger makes sense.  Not sure about the others. Real question: Is Buchanan interested at Lincoln? 

Clevenger didn't put his hat in the ring and I dont see Buchanan leaving the Titans. Mercer is definitely on the rise and in a great place!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRevere said:

This hire is bigger than just the HC. Coach Crutchfield had a skeleton crew of assistant coaches. Great guys but few in numbers. There are only 3 actual coaches left. Rogers, Cooper, and Marcum. Only Cooper is a teacher. Coach Marcum is pursing other things in life so he may not be back. LC is down an entire staff and to me that is a major concern. Who the HC is able to bring with them matters. Im not sure what contacts the remaining coaches at LC have in order to put together a staff. By my estimate and maybe I'm way off but it appears LC needs a HC, at least 2 coordinators, and a full slate of position coaches. This isn't a simple hire a HC and all is good. At Mercer they have an intact group of coaches that just needs a HC. Not the case at LC. I would like to think had the LC coaches had great contacts they would have tried to bring them on staff in the previous years. Maybe I'm wrong.

There is truth to this. Cooper is a teacher in the building, Marcum is pursing other things in life so he may not be back., and Rogers is not a teacher that I'm aware of. 

I tend to think Marcum will stay on if Rogers or Cooper get the job. I do know for a fact that both coaches have reached out to potential candidates about coming to Lincoln. 

I think it's extremely important both Rogers and Cooper get an interview. Both are invested at Lincoln and their opinions should be valued on the direction the Lincoln program should go. Regardless if they are hired (And I still think both would be a fine HC) their opinions need to be valued. 

Regardless, Lincoln is hurting themselves by going slowly. How can a coach bring on assistants? Most are already taking other jobs and moving as is. 

Can anyone confirm if Rogers and Cooper have interviewed for the position yet? I know initial interviews began last week, from a source. 

• Like 1