Open Job: Notre Dame

TheDeuce

13 hours ago, Walter said:

BK has said multiple times publicly Freeman has next. 

Screenshot_20211129-212857.png

He very well may end up the guy, but I don't think ND cares much about who BK tabbed as the head coach in waiting. 

I didn't think his comments on it mattered much when I read it the first time and I definitely don't now. Unless it is written into a contract that his promotion is immediate then it wouldn't matter much even if the ND AD said it. A lot is said in negotiations that don't necessarily pan out. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cincyswords said:

That would be the worst thing that could happen to ND.  They better lock Freeman up and in a hurry.  I think making him the HC is a really good idea and smooth transition.  

Highest paid DC > HC

Signed, 

Brent Venables

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cincyswords said:

That would be the worst thing that could happen to ND.  They better lock Freeman up and in a hurry.  I think making him the HC is a really good idea and smooth transition.  

The worst thing they could do is to just promote him without opening it up. If Freeman wants to be the HC at Notre Dame, I’m sure he would even tell Kelly that he wants to see if he gets the Notre Dame job first before committing to being the DC at LSU. If he quickly goes ahead and decides to be the DC at LSU, then he either didn’t want to be the HC or someone told him he wouldn’t get it. Open it up and get the best candidate possible, which it may or may not be Freeman. 

12 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

One of the worst events to happen in college football in years. This guy bailed on his players and university, can never back him in any fashion the remainder of his coaching career.

The same could be said about almost any coach that leaves to go to another school. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nikeman49 said:

One of the worst events to happen in college football in years. This guy bailed on his players and university, can never back him in any fashion the remainder of his coaching career.

Is this the 2nd or 3rd time he has done this? The NCAA needs to change the rules so coaches don't leave before their actual season is over.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

The worst thing they could do is to just promote him without opening it up. If Freeman wants to be the HC at Notre Dame, I’m sure he would even tell Kelly that he wants to see if he gets the Notre Dame job first before committing to being the DC at LSU. If he quickly goes ahead and decides to be the DC at LSU, then he either didn’t want to be the HC or someone told him he wouldn’t get it. Open it up and get the best candidate possible, which it may or may not be Freeman. 

I get what your saying.  I also think maybe bump his salary to be DC and interim?  Then see how it falls.   I see a lot of potential lost recruits if he leaves this quickly.

• Like 1

What's the old saying?  Actions speak louder than words?   So his limitless love for the players at ND manifests itself in the form of taking all their coaches ASAP.  Leaving them in the wind to play a bowl game with some unwanted assistants, Rudy and the groundskeeper to see them through the bowl season?

35 minutes ago, KY Outsider said:

Is this the 2nd or 3rd time he has done this? The NCAA needs to change the rules so coaches don't leave before their actual season is over.

They need to move that signing period date they have in December to like mid or late January. To many coaches feel like they have to make the change now in order to get the recruits. 

Also going to the 12 team playoff also would help. The first game of the playoffs happens sooner, so there wouldn’t be this long wait to play a game. 

Interestingly in Luke Fickell's normal Tue afternoon presser there was no discussion about the ND rumors.....it was almost like that job opening didn't even exist.

His agent was probably on the phone during the presser working on a conference call time.

I take that as he is certainly entertaining the thought of leaving.