Open Job: Notre Dame

TheDeuce

14 minutes ago, hrcarrier said:

I highly doubt anyone saw this coming, this is an odd move in my opinion. Things will be interesting to say in the least. I would think that Fickell is next coach for the Irish.

I really felt Kelly would go to USC. Really shocked by Riley heading there....but PAC 12 much easier than SEC.

• Like 1

Really, really strange hire.  I appreciate BK re-establishing the program as a consistent Top 10 team, but am not that upset about his departure.  LSU seems like one of the weirdest fits I could possibly imagine for him.  USC or Oklahoma seemed like a much better match.

For replacements, Fickell is the obvious choice, though I think part of the deal in getting Freeman was a commitment that he would have first dibs when Kelly left.  No idea beyond that.  I've always felt deep down that Urban would finish his career at ND, but if there was even any remote possibility of that, I'm sure it was completely destroyed by the ordeal in Columbus a couple months ago.

I would say this would be Urban Meyer easily, but after his night out dancing. I’m not sure if they would hire him now. 

Since big name coaches are shocking people leaving big name programs for another. I guess the next Notre Dame coach will either be Nick Saban or Dabo Sweeney lol. I am only half joking about Dabo though, that could be a real surprise possibility with how things are going in the college world right now. 

5 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

What a disaster for Luke Fickell and this Bearcat team on the verge of clinching a playoff spot.

For some strange reason, I'm not worried. Call it a hunch but I feel Freeman is going to end up being who they go with. 

Notre Dame is no doubt a better job but Fick isn't the type to abandon his team with so much left to accomplish. Wouldn't leave OSU for UC until they finished their bowl game. I think Fick ends up not taking it for the simple fact ND isn't going to be willing to wait until Jan 1st for him to get started. UC is going to benefit from the timing, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Walter said:

For some strange reason, I'm not worried. Call it a hunch but I feel Freeman is going to end up being who they go with. 

Notre Dame is no doubt a better job but Fick isn't the type to abandon his team with so much left to accomplish. Wouldn't leave OSU for UC until they finished their bowl game. I think Fick ends up not taking it for the simple fact ND isn't going to be willing to wait until Jan 1st for him to get started. UC is going to benefit from the timing, IMO. 

If that scenario turns out to be true, Fickell is the biggest fool in College Football. 

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

If that scenario turns out to be true, Fickell is the biggest fool in College Football. 

Some coaches actually care about their players and want to finish what they started... Fick is one of the few rare breeds that fits in that category. 

Just now, Walter said:

Some coaches actually care about their players and want to finish what they started... Fick is one of the few rare breeds that actually fit in that category. 

He can do that and still be the next coach at Notre Dame.