Open Job: Notre Dame

TheDeuce

6 minutes ago, Walter said:

For some strange reason, I'm not worried. Call it a hunch but I feel Freeman is going to end up being who they go with. 

Notre Dame is no doubt a better job but Fick isn't the type to abandon his team with so much left to accomplish. Wouldn't leave OSU for UC until they finished their bowl game. I think Fick ends up not taking it for the simple fact ND isn't going to be willing to wait until Jan 1st for him to get started. UC is going to benefit from the timing, IMO. 

It’s very possible he only wants to move one more time, up 71N.  That’s the hope for UC fans.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

He can do that and still be the next coach at Notre Dame. 

The problem is... Notre Dame isn't waiting til Jan 1st or 11th for him to take over. 

That's why I think Freeman ends up being the choice. 

There is always "off the books money" but I believe Fickell makes more than what ND was paying Kelly.  Point being, it probably won't be a huge raise for Luke.  Now there is the upgraded image of being the ND coach.  The history and all that stuff.  Add in being an independent in a time of growing mega-conferences, and not sure ND coach carries the same weight it used to.  

8. Any attempt to use or suggest profanity is prohibited. This means you may not use symbols to replace some or all of the letters in a word that might otherwise be blocked by the BGP word filter. Any attempt to circumvent the word filter with general abbreviations or text message abbreviations will also be considered a violation under this rule.

3 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

There is always "off the books money" but I believe Fickell makes more than what ND was paying Kelly.  Point being, it probably won't be a huge raise for Luke.  Now there is the upgraded image of being the ND coach.  The history and all that stuff.  Add in being an independent in a time of growing mega-conferences, and not sure ND coach carries the same weight it used to.  

And now more than ever there is "off the books money" and I would think that LSU or Cincinnati or almost anyone not named Notre Dame may be more inclined to use that kind of money in creative ways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Anthony said:

It’s very possible he only wants to move one more time, up 71N.  That’s the hope for UC fans.

Could be the timing works out perfectly for this. NFL teams generally wait until the season is over to hire a new coach. Bears can wait until January to hire Day, then the Buckeyes could hire Fickell as soon as the CFP are over less than a week later.

3 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

That would be incredibly fast, if they were in fact blindsided today, to have this all wrapped up.

I said months ago...if Kelly leaves, Freeman is likely the next head coach at ND. 

Players, recruits, other members on staff, and most importantly administration/boosters love him

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Walter said:

For some strange reason, I'm not worried. Call it a hunch but I feel Freeman is going to end up being who they go with. 

Notre Dame is no doubt a better job but Fick isn't the type to abandon his team with so much left to accomplish. Wouldn't leave OSU for UC until they finished their bowl game. I think Fick ends up not taking it for the simple fact ND isn't going to be willing to wait until Jan 1st for him to get started. UC is going to benefit from the timing, IMO. 

Why Freeman? No HC experience, not even an interim. The money involved is SICK! My wife just told me Kelly is getting 15 MILLION.... that's unbelievable. Be interesting to see terms. Hope UC wins this weekend so we don't have to listen to talking heads speculate that they were "distracted".