Open Job: Notre Dame

TheDeuce

2 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

That's my thinking as well.  

The only counter to that I can think of is ND doing him a solid and allowing him to explore other opportunities before he commits to the HC job at ND. I have no idea why they would do that, but...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

The only counter to that I can think of is ND doing him a solid and allowing him to explore other opportunities before he commits to the HC job at ND. I have no idea why they would do that, but...

It just seems to me that if he was the guy, we would know it by now.  

• Like 1

It is only smart IMO for them to look at all options. Which LSU or OSU trying to make Freeman a DC doesn’t really mean the process has to be sped up for Notre Dame. Being the HC at Notre Dame is still better than being the DC at those schools, if he is wanting to be a HC. The same with the Duke head coach opening, I don’t see that job being a threat to make Notre Dame have to speed their process up. If he wants to be the HC at Notre Dame and knows he is in contention, he probably would make those schools have to wait until he knows about Notre Dame. Just like those schools if they truly think very highly of Freeman and want him, they most likely would wait for him to see what happens with the ND job. 

So IMO nothing going on right now should stop them from looking at all options first, and shouldn’t feel like they have to be in a hurry to make Freeman the Head Coach. If he knows he is truly in contention for it, and he wants it. Then I don’t see him going elsewhere until he knows for sure one way or another about if he got the job or not. 

Now if Oklahoma started to show interest in Freeman for the Head Coach opening. Then that could possibly make Notre Dame speed their process up though.  

3 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

It is only smart IMO for them to look at all options. Which LSU or OSU trying to make Freeman a DC doesn’t really mean the process has to be sped up for Notre Dame. Being the HC at Notre Dame is still better than being the DC at those schools, if he is wanting to be a HC. The same with the Duke head coach opening, I don’t see that job being a threat to make Notre Dame have to speed their process up. If he wants to be the HC at Notre Dame and knows he is in contention, he probably would make those schools have to wait until he knows about Notre Dame. Just like those schools if they truly think very highly of Freeman and want him, they most likely would wait for him to see what happens with the ND job. 

So IMO nothing going on right now should stop them from looking at all options first, and shouldn’t feel like they have to be in a hurry to make Freeman the Head Coach. If he knows he is truly in contention for it, and he wants it. Then I don’t see him going elsewhere until he knows for sure one way or another about if he got the job or not. 

Now if Oklahoma started to show interest in Freeman for the Head Coach opening. Then that could possibly make Notre Dame speed their process up though.  

If they are going to look at all options, then Freeman isn't THE guy. That doesn't mean he won't end up being the coach. Some folks online seem to want believe it's absolutely Freeman, but you don't "look at all the options" if you have one specific guy you're after. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

If they are going to look at all options, then Freeman isn't THE guy. That doesn't mean he won't end up being the coach. Some folks online seem to want believe it's absolutely Freeman, but you don't "look at all the options" if you have one specific guy you're after. 

For me it is just smart for Notre Dame to look at all options. Especially with big name coaches apparently willing to change teams, you have to at least take a look. They may be really high on Freeman, but in the best interest of the program you have to at least look at everything or at least get feelers out there. Notre Dame made that mistake before after Lou Holts left, and promoted a guy from within who was suppose to be a hot top up and coming assistant. It didn’t work out at all and set them back. 

With that said I just read a story on TheAthletic that apparently Freeman and the AD are suppose to meet today. So we probably will find out today if it will be Freeman or not. 

• Like 1

Just now, futurecoach said:

For me it is just smart for Notre Dame to look at all options. Especially with big name coaches apparently willing to change teams, you have to at least take a look. They may be really high on Freeman, but in the best interest of the program you have to at least look at everything or at least get feelers out there. Notre Dame made that mistake before after Lou Holts left, and promoted a guy from within who was suppose to be a hop top up and coming assistant. It didn’t work out at all and set them back. 

With that said I just read a story on TheAthletic that apparently Freeman and the AD are suppose to meet today. So we probably will find out today if it will be Freeman or not. 

We're on the same page.

Like my OP said, the longer it draws out, the less likely it is to be Freeman. But it's only been two days at this point. 

• Like 2

Word is that the AD stayed back from the CFP meeting he was scheduled to be at in order to be on campus and meet with Freeman. I don't think you do that to simply make him the interim or something. I'd imagine that means things are in the works. 

As someone who likes to UC in the picture with the big dogs and an avid OSU fan, I love it. 

I would not expect Notre Dame to ever pick someone with no head coaching experience to be their coach.

I think ND is waiting to talk with Fickell. I don't think Fickell will talk to them till after Houston. If UC beats Houston, he may not talk to them till the final four is set. I believe that is the way to handle the situation.

Can ND wait till this weekend?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

The longer we don't hear from ND, the more it points away from Freeman, IMO.

There's a process. Included in that process are interviews. Tommy Rees got his courtesy interview and Freeman is interviewing for the job as well. 

Assuming the interview with Freeman goes as expected, he will be the next head coach at Notre Dame. 

Screenshot_20211201-155048.png

23 minutes ago, Walter said:

There's a process. Included in that process are interviews. Tommy Rees got his courtesy interview and Freeman is interviewing for the job as well. 

Assuming the interview with Freeman goes as expected, he will be the next head coach at Notre Dame. 

Maybe so. Like I said, it's only been two days. If we were sitting here a week from now and ND still didn't have a coach, no chance it's Freeman, IMO.