Open Job: Notre Dame

TheDeuce

5 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Interestingly in Luke Fickell's normal Tue afternoon presser there was no discussion about the ND rumors.....it was almost like that job opening didn't even exist.

His agent was probably on the phone during the presser working on a conference call time.

I take that as he is certainly entertaining the thought of leaving.

Did he take questions?

7 minutes ago, theguru said:

Did he take questions?

I don't know, was listening to 1530am and caught the beginning where he discussed the AAC Championship game on Sat and how good Houston is and well coached, yadda yadda yadda.  Then I had to run inside somewhere and when I came back to the car the 2 talking heads were talking since the presser was over and they said that for all the UC faithful being pretty upbeat going into the presser hoping he wouldn't leave, now after the presser can't be feeling good about their thoughts.  Nothing in the presser they said would indicate that Luke is saying "Thanks but no Thanks"....nothing

They were like I wish he injected the line "they have contacted me but my home is UC, go knock on someone else's door" but no.....

1 minute ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I don't know, was listening to 1530am and caught the beginning where he discussed the AAC Championship game on Sat and how good Houston is and well coached, yadda yadda yadda.  Then I had to run inside somewhere and when I came back to the car the 2 talking heads were talking since the presser was over and they said that for all the UC faithful being pretty upbeat going into the presser hoping he would leave, now after the presser can't be feeling good about their thoughts.  Nothing in the presser they said would indicate that Luke is saying "Thanks but no Thanks"....nothing

They were like I wish he injected the line "they have contacted me but my home is UC, go knock on someone else's door" but no.....

If you are Coach Fickell why address it if you are not forced to.  I would have to agree that no answer/response is very interesting and means it definitely is a possibility. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

If you are Coach Fickell why address it if you are not forced to.  I would have to agree that no answer/response is very interesting and means it definitely is a possibility. 

Also, I guess what these last few days have also confirmed is that when a coach states "I am not leaving, I am at my dream job" it doesn't really hold water any more.  So if Luke actually said he isn't interested, Would you believe him?

Just now, FrankNicodemus said:

Also, I guess what these last few days have also confirmed is that when a coach states "I am not leaving, I am at my dream job" it doesn't really hold water any more.  So if Luke actually said he isn't interested, Would you believe him?

It is a rare bird for me to believe anything any "authority figure" has to say in public. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

They need to move that signing period date they have in December to like mid or late January. To many coaches feel like they have to make the change now in order to get the recruits. 

Also going to the 12 team playoff also would help. The first game of the playoffs happens sooner, so there wouldn’t be this long wait to play a game. 

We often don't see eye to eye on everything, but I'm right there with you on this.  Move the NSD to mid/late January, and make it a no-tampering period until that team's bowl game/CFP is done.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

We often don't see eye to eye on everything, but I'm right there with you on this.  Move the NSD to mid/late January, and make it a no-tampering period until that team's bowl game/CFP is done.

I don't think you will ever prevent coaches from going wherever they want whenever they want.  What you might be able to get the NCAA to do is put some penalties on Universities if they take a coach from another University. 

For example, LSU wants to hire Brian Kelly.  Fine, LSU then has to reduce their Scholarships by X amount of scholarships......something like that.

Just saw on twitter that Brian Kelly's 7am meeting with his former ND players last 2 minutes with no questions.

Seems like a classy guy there.  

Crazy thing is with him being the All Time winningest ND coach will there be a statue/shrine some sort of Honor around his tenure.....

This departure is going to take some time for ND to heal to think about anything they do to honor his time at South Bend.

But time most of the time heals wounds......ala Tubby finally getting honored by having his name hung in the rafters at Rupp on Dec 31st.

5 hours ago, futurecoach said:

They need to move that signing period date they have in December to like mid or late January. To many coaches feel like they have to make the change now in order to get the recruits. 

Also going to the 12 team playoff also would help. The first game of the playoffs happens sooner, so there wouldn’t be this long wait to play a game. 

4 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

If you move it to mid/late January what would that do to the players that graduate high school after the first semester and enroll in college for the spring semester?  Wouldn't that move the signing date past when they would already need to be on campus?  

8 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

If you move it to mid/late January what would that do to the players that graduate high school after the first semester and enroll in college for the spring semester?  Wouldn't that move the signing date past when they would already need to be on campus?  

I could be wrong but I don’t think players technically have to sign a letter of intent, it’s just more for the school to know the player is locked in and won’t change their mind.