5th Year Seniors...

On 3/26/2021 at 11:10 AM, GCHS said:

This is not my understanding, having read the law.  It is broad, but the way I read it, they can keep credits, but can choose to repeat classes.  My guess is elective-type credits will remain that same & students will primarily repeat core classes (Math, Science, English, & Social Studies) while getting to option to take more electives and CTE classes.

This could be a boon to some of our vocational/CTE students to gain more opportunities for certifications, as well as for elementary students to reinforce their learning in the basics.

Speaking as a father to a senior who attends vocational school, I can tell you 100% definitively, virtual learning has impacted these students more than others.  My son is a C student in most of his "normal" classes.  He has a hard time concentrating/focusing on bookwork.  Some classes are better than others, but for the most part he struggles...doesn't matter if it's in-person or online.

However, the vocational school route has been a God-send.  I have never seen a kid so excited to go to school.  He loves it, and was absolutely crushed when they went all-virtual last spring.  There is just no comparison to watching a video, or reading an article about a subject, versus actually doing it.

I would love for him to have the opportunity to gain more of that experience.  Not sure if it's worth it though, if he has to also repeat the English/math classes he's had this year.  But, if he could go just to V-school...heck, he'd go there 8 hours a day if you'd let him.

• Like 3

So, I talked to some athletic directors, and their understanding is that this rule goes k-12 but that the KHSAA eligibility only applies to 9-12. Can anyone confirm this? For example, I was told if an 8th grader decided to repeat their 8th-grade season, they would not be eligible to play any sports due to current rules. I have no clue if that is true, but I wondered if anyone on here may know.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:33 PM, ChiefSmoke said:

All KHSAA rules are still in place. No transfers for athletic reasons. My understanding, the answer to your question is no. 

An interesting question to ask would be this:  If I want my child to repeat his grade, and my current district will not let him, is it a transfer for "athletic reasons?"  Even if an athlete plays a sport at the new school, "the rules" seems to make the "for athletic reasons" argument much weaker.

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bugatti said:

I am really interested to know how many families are going to take advantage of this. I just can't see it being that prevalent, but maybe I am wrong.

More than you think. It doesn't have to be just Seniors. Certain schools that have players doing this will win or be in the hunt in the near future for State Championships.

This should be an easy decision for any parents who started their children as the youngest in the class. It is a freebie with no stigma attached to “being held back”. 

With an October birthday, I could have played high school football for two more years after I graduated. I also would have been a better student with two more years of maturity. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 8:21 AM, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

So, I talked to some athletic directors, and their understanding is that this rule goes k-12 but that the KHSAA eligibility only applies to 9-12. Can anyone confirm this? For example, I was told if an 8th grader decided to repeat their 8th-grade season, they would not be eligible to play any sports due to current rules. I have no clue if that is true, but I wondered if anyone on here may know.

I believe each district has their own rules regarding middle school eligibility. While middle school sports do fall under the KHSAA umbrella, they for the most part, stay out of most decision making.

23 hours ago, Mr.Network said:

This should be an easy decision for any parents who started their children as the youngest in the class. It is a freebie with no stigma attached to “being held back”. 

With an October birthday, I could have played high school football for two more years after I graduated. I also would have been a better student with two more years of maturity. 

Not necessarily, my son is younger than a lot of kids a grade lower than him but we started him early simply because he was ready. If he wanted to stick around another year, I would support that decision but he has no desire to. He was pretty dominate his senior season as it was so I can only imagine what another year could do for him. I look forward to Saturdays the next few years regardless.

In my opinion, this extra year should really be about the academics and athletics should not factor into a decision. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tracy House said:

My question is, A student athlete that is a Senior, does not turn 19 before August 1, has all their credit hours and decides to do the redo, what do they do as far as classes are concerned?

My guess is that they can do a co-op program for several credits and then load up on electives.  Some schools also have dual credit offerings/partnerships too, so that can fill out some credits.  I do wonder if the requirement that a student take a math class every year of high school would still apply since you'd have students who had already completed their four credits.

Schools will definitely have to get creative to fill out a whole class load for some of these students, though.

17 hours ago, Tracy House said:

My question is, A student athlete that is a Senior, does not turn 19 before August 1, has all their credit hours and decides to do the redo, what do they do as far as classes are concerned?

I have heard that for all students K-12, this current school year would not count at all. All credit hours would revert back to the previous year, so current seniors would essentially be juniors entering their senior year again.