5th Year Seniors...

Is it official in state of Kentucky for current seniors to have “the option” to repeat their senior school year this upcoming Fall?

If so, is it correct that athletes can have extra year of playing eligibility in their sport as long as they do not turn 19 years old by a certain date?

If all of this is true, do you feel that any current seniors would take advantage of this?

My take -

Although it is unlikely, some may choose to do this. With NCAA basically having same rule, recruiting has slowed down for this upcoming season for many athletes. 

I would think some kids that would like to play at next level that hasn’t been heavily recruited would, at least, consider this possibility. 

Thoughts??

• Like 1

Is this actually law now?  This is a simple yes or no with no political commentary allowed.

And I want to remind everyone, if this is in fact law we can discuss it but we may not discuss anything political.  From our Terms of Service:

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

• Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to 5th Year Seniors... (Needs Confirmation)
  • theguru changed the title to 5th Year Seniors...
  • theguru unlocked this topic

So my question is this.  Does this only apply to seniors or does this apply down the line as well?  

It is also my understanding that this is all or nothing.  Nobody can be denied this opportunity and if someone is, then all are denied.  Correct?

Also is this up to the family of the students, the individual school district or both?

7 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

So my question is this.  Does this only apply to seniors or does this apply down the line as well?  

It is also my understanding that this is all or nothing.  Nobody can be denied this opportunity and if someone is, then all are denied.  Correct?

Also is this up to the family of the students, the individual school district or both?

I think it is designed to stretch all the way down. In the simplest sense, I think it has always been allowed below eighth grade (unless the district didn't allow). As I read it, this will make it possible for grades 9-12. I suspect the rule of not allowing kids who turn 19 before August 1st to play will remain in effect.

Having said all of that, it may well get vetoed. So I'm taking everything with a grain of salt.

The wording says students in private schools have till May 1st to tell school coming back, and they can not transfer to public after that date and be eligible to gain 5th year. “However, in order for students to qualify under section 4 of this act, the students shall submit the request to the non-public school by May 1, and the student shall only use the supplemental school year at the non-public school At which the student was enrolled on that date.” 

• Thanks 1

Again everyone, no politics or we are not going to be able to discuss this:

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

Tackett has said previously that the age 19 rule would hold, but that was it.  I don't know that I've seen anything specific to whether or not that player has to stay at that school.  I would assume they don't - that it would be the same process of transfer rules as always, whether they had repeated or not. 

As to the original post in the thread, I have heard stories about some locals taking advantage of the rule and staying around an extra year.  Somewhat, I will believe it when I see it.  I know that I didn't have to go through something like this while I was in school so my experience was different (plus I didn't play sports), but I would have considered it unfathomable to willingly delay my life an additional year for any reason, least of all sports.  I had the same position on grad school in college - get me out to the real world.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

-The law applies to all public and non-public (including home school) students from K-12.

-The KHSAA's age rule remains intact. Students are eligible for sports as long as they do not turn 19 before August 1 of their senior (fifth) year of sports.

-Academic status has no bearing on a student's eligibility to re-do that school year.

-It is up to each individual school district to decide whether they will allow all students requesting a re-do year to repeat, if they will not allow all students requesting a re-do year to repeat. School districts will not be permitted to evaluate/approve requests for a re-do year on a case-by-case basis. It's either allow them all, or allow none.

-Students have up until June 15th of this year to submit their request to repeat the year. The Board of Education with jurisdiction has until June 30th of this year to decide whether or not they will allow students in their school district to repeat years. This means the school districts have the opportunity to see a final number on how many students are requesting to repeat before they decide.

-As far as I've seen, there is no mention in the law of transferring to another school for a re-do year. I would assume that means the law does not concern itself with transfers. However, I would also assume that also means (since they didn't say anything about it) that the KHSAA's transfer eligibility rules are same as always, including transfer eligibility for 5th year seniors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

-The law applies to all public and non-public (including home school) students from K-12.

-The KHSAA's age rule remains intact. Students are eligible for sports as long as they do not turn 19 before August 1 of their senior (fifth) year of sports.

-Academic status has no bearing on a student's eligibility to re-do that school year.

-It is up to each individual school district to decide whether they will allow all students requesting a re-do year to repeat, if they will not allow all students requesting a re-do year to repeat. School districts will not be permitted to evaluate/approve requests for a re-do year on a case-by-case basis. It's either allow them all, or allow none.

-Students have up until June 15th of this year to submit their request to repeat the year. The Board of Education with jurisdiction has until June 30th of this year to decide whether or not they will allow students in their school district to repeat years. This means the school districts have the opportunity to see a final number on how many students are requesting to repeat before they decide.

-As far as I've seen, there is no mention in the law of transferring to another school for a re-do year. I would assume that means the law does not concern itself with transfers. However, I would also assume that also means (since they didn't say anything about it) that the KHSAA's transfer eligibility rules are same as always, including 5th year senior transfers.

Thanks for adding all that detail @Colonels_Wear_Blue!

• Like 1