1 minute ago, Runcible Owl said:

I believe Kentucky is one of the few states that include 7th and 8th grade performances in counting towards career totals. We already have incoming freshmen basketball players with 1,500 varsity points. There will be no asterisks, but I could see a parent hold a kid back so that Joe Jr. can become the all-time this or that.

If it was me, I might qualify for the all-time pine-splinter gatherer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

What about this scenario? 

Graves had a Senior football player who transfered to Mayfield at Xmas. He played on the basketball team, if he decided to play next year would he be able to play for Mayfield?

For clarification I have no idea if he even wants to do this, he was a good player but it got me wondering on these kinda of situations how this would work out?

9 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

What about this scenario? 

Graves had a Senior football player who transfered to Mayfield at Xmas. He played on the basketball team, if he decided to play next year would he be able to play for Mayfield?

For clarification I have no idea if he even wants to do this, he was a good player but it got me wondering on these kinda of situations how this would work out?

Or, could he go back to Graves and play football?

Sending the Mrs. to Krogers for a few boxes of the Orville Redenbacher's finest for this thread.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🍿 🍿 🍿

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In my opinion, I think an individual should only repeat a year of school if there are major glaring academic issues. It just doesn’t sit well with me for someone to repeat a year of school, even though they are an A, B student. To me that takes away from the sole purpose of the 5th year, by making the return more about sports than academics.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

To play NCAA sports, you must have a high school diploma.

1.) Will anyone apply to re-do their school year only to play 2 months and then drop out, simply for the sake of playing one more season of high school sports? That is to say, is anyone going to repeat a their senior year - with sports as their main reason for doing so - if trying to play college sports is not the major driving force behind that?

2.) Deadline for student applications to repeat a school year is June 15th. Are high school diplomas finalized by then? If a school has graduation on May 31st, then a student comes back two weeks at the after graduating at the June 15th deadline and applies for a re-do school year, does that wipe out their diploma? Or have they already graduated, thus giving them a high school diploma (for 4 years of high school) and permitting them to play in NCAA sports even if they drop out months into the subsequent re-do school year?

1)  Honestly either way I don't see many students doing this.  I teach HS seniors and haven't heard of anyone talking about this at all.  But I would think if a student is doing it just for sports it would be much more likely for a fall sport.

2)  I would assume once they meet their diploma requirements they have their diploma and that is finalized.  It is a very weird situation though.  They would be both officially graduated and still in high school at the same time.

• Like 1

I’m thinking one could graduate and then come back for fall semester play football then bounce after Christmas break.

• Like 2

If the issue was an academic one, then why not allow the 5th year for academic improvement only? No clue why sports were tied into this one. 

In the end I do not believe that many school districts will allow for this to occur. 

• Like 3

The school districts can make this as easy on the kids or as hard on the kids as they want to, from my understanding of the law. It’s going to be eye opening which schools actually care about their sports programs and which ones don’t.

I know little to nothing about the education side of school. I won’t pretend I know the strengths and weaknesses of it from that side, but speaking purely from the athletic stand point. If other schools are allowing kids to take college classes, online classes, etc. to get them enrolled where it benefits them individually and also gets them on the field or court and your district is unwilling to do the same, then they really don’t care about your sports programs winning.

7 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

If the issue was an academic one, then why not allow the 5th year for academic improvement only? No clue why sports were tied into this one. 

In the end I do not believe that many school districts will allow for this to occur. 

If one does they all have to. If a kid wants to stay back, but can’t, he can easily transfer and repeat the same grade. Sure he must set out a year, but he would still get 4 years of playing, but basically a redshirt year when he transfers. 

5 minutes ago, gcbleedblue said:

If one does they all have to. If a kid wants to stay back, but can’t, he can easily transfer and repeat the same grade. Sure he must set out a year, but he would still get 4 years of playing, but basically a redshirt year when he transfers. 

Don’t think that is allowed. Has to be in the school district you are enrolled in I believe. Could be wrong though. 

This may have been answered, and I missed it. However, if a current senior decides to come back for a 5th year. Are they still technically graduated with a diploma? Or does this year basically not count, and they will have to finish their whole 5th year now to technically be able to get their high school diploma? If they already get their high school diploma no matter what. Then I do think as some have said we will see some come back just to play fall sports and then opt out after that. 

10 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I’m thinking one could graduate and then come back for fall semester play football then bounce after Christmas break.

I see this being a real possibility. It already happens some now any way with some elite football players starting college in the spring semester. 

The thing is, I don’t see many kids getting a huge benefit athletically in terms of scholarship opportunities. If you’re not “elite” by your normal Senior year, most won’t make that jump to elite with the extra year. As someone previously mentioned, I think the real beneficiaries are the younger kids who missed out on valuable learning at the elementary level.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

No, I think you're confused with UK basketball on this one 🙂

• Haha 1