Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I just don't see Schools like the FTIS and Beechwood even considering this. I really don't! Highlands wouldn't even approve a Senior who met all Academic qualifications per se to leave after Christmas to enroll in College early just last year. Yes it was Sports related but it would of helped that Student get a leg up on his College classes.

I get it, the more Kids in school the more the money but Highlands suffers from Overcrowded classrooms as it is. We shall see......I just don't see it happening. But whose to say that Student Athlete doesn't move schools if the FTIS doesn't approve it....Right? This could get interesting to say the least.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, THUNDERBIRDS said:

I just don't see Schools like the FTIS and Beechwood even considering this. I really don't! Highlands wouldn't even approve a Senior who met all Academic qualifications per se to leave after Christmas to enroll in College early just last year. Yes it was Sports related but it would of helped that Student get a leg up on his College classes.

I get it, the more Kids in school the more the money but Highlands suffers from Overcrowded classrooms as it is. We shall see......I just don't see it happening. But whose to say that Student Athlete doesn't move schools if the FTIS doesn't approve it....Right? This could get interesting to say the least.

That is a very interesting point, for example, if Highlands says no to 5th year seniors and Newport Central Catholic says yes, will 5th year seniors be able to transfer to NCC with no strings attached?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I’m thinking one could graduate and then come back for fall semester play football then bounce after Christmas break.

This is spot on. I'll take it a step further. We'll never know how serious a 5th year senior is  about the academic requirements. Some may drop out the first Monday after their team loses a mid November playoff game. This happens a fair bit in college, right? Schools and coaches can't control this. But if there's a perception of "short term rentals" in a program, I don't see that washing off easily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theguru said:

That is a very interesting point, for example, if Highlands says no to 5th year seniors and Newport Central Catholic says yes, will 5th year seniors be able to transfer to NCC with no strings attached?

They're absolutely going to say yes.....Especially NCC! They need the Cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, THUNDERBIRDS said:

I just don't see Schools like the FTIS and Beechwood even considering this. I really don't! Highlands wouldn't even approve a Senior who met all Academic qualifications per se to leave after Christmas to enroll in College early just last year. Yes it was Sports related but it would of helped that Student get a leg up on his College classes.

I get it, the more Kids in school the more the money but Highlands suffers from Overcrowded classrooms as it is. We shall see......I just don't see it happening. But whose to say that Student Athlete doesn't move schools if the FTIS doesn't approve it....Right? This could get interesting to say the least.

I totally get your point but I wonder if FTIS will see how many apply before they adamantly say yes or no on this option.  If I was say a parent of a 5th grader or 8th grader for instance and I want little Johnny to repeat and only say 5-10 students apply then is FTIS busting at the seems that bad to deny these scenarios???  Totally get your point if there was a mad rush of students applying for this, then certainly overcrowding is in the back of my mind....but if limited # apply then maybe FTIS would pull the trigger.

Like you said it will be very interesting....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theguru said:

That is a very interesting point, for example, if Highlands says no to 5th year seniors and Newport Central Catholic says yes, will 5th year seniors be able to transfer to NCC with no strings attached?

All KHSAA rules are still in place. No transfers for athletic reasons. My understanding, the answer to your question is no. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the responses.

Again, I do not think it is PROBABLE but it is POSSIBLE that some kids will stick around. Not many but a few.

I am thinking about 1 athlete in particular. Stud on the baseball diamond. Was getting several decent looks from some strong mid-major schools. March of 2020 rolls around, school dismisses and this kid (along with hundreds of other) misses his junior season of baseball. He panics and signs with a JUCO. Granted he has this upcoming season to play but ….. If he plays lights out this year and has an extra season next year, if he so chooses, he would probably have many more opportunities from some high-octane schools.

I know it is unlikely, but the decision that has been made by the state will be very interesting to watch unfold with a handful of athletes throughout the Bluegrass in the next 90 days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not forget that it is going to based on superintendents of each district and I am willing to guess most of them 75% say "no".  Reason being funding, and you have to allow every kid in your district the right to repeat if they choose too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if a student was thinking of coming back and attending NKU at a reduced rate, get some college classes under their belt. While also playing the 2 sports they love and trying to get some better College offers than they have now. They were limited on Football Camps and AAU live events this past year. Also with most colleges getting tons of Grad Transfers and passing on incoming Freshman right now. To me this is win win. Class of 2021 is really limited on playing college sports this year. If your a D1 big time player you will be okay, but if your a D2 and lower type of athlete your options are very limited right now. I also see this as an opportunity to get your grades up/ GPA higher for those students to play on academic status. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In courier-journal article regarding this law, Male’s basketball coach said two seniors plan to return next year if allowed. Didn’t say names though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

In courier-journal article regarding this law, Male’s basketball coach said two seniors plan to return next year if allowed. Didn’t say names though.

We'll see if that emotion carries them all the way up to the time they need to make that decision.  But the fact that someone has already publicly said that... judging from this thread people are going to be surprised at the amount of kids that do come back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

In Courier-Journal article regarding this law, Male’s basketball coach said two seniors plan to return next year if allowed. Didn’t say names though.

 

32 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

We'll see if that emotion carries them all the way up to the time they need to make that decision.  But the fact that someone has already publicly said that... judging from this thread people are going to be surprised at the amount of kids that do come back. 

Dez Lindsay, Cam Pope, and Trey Stone are their only seniors on Male's roster. Pretty sure Pope's only offer was from Jacksonville State, which he accepted. I could see him hoping for more offers if he stayed on another year. I don't know that Dez or Trey had any offers. Count those two in the, "hey, it couldn't hurt" category, if you ask me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 8th Region Warrior said:

Do not forget that it is going to based on superintendents of each district and I am willing to guess most of them 75% say "no".  Reason being funding, and you have to allow every kid in your district the right to repeat if they choose too.

Just imagine the logistics nightmare too.  In an extreme example, 70% or so of parents want to redo the year for kindergarten so you have a really small first grade and then you have a TON of kindergarten students because you'll get the hold backs, initial enrollees, and also any students whose parents held back because of COVID-19 concerns this year.  As other say, this will all impact the lower grades more than high school if districts choose to do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

All KHSAA rules are still in place. No transfers for athletic reasons. My understanding, the answer to your question is no. 

While me might all know it would be for athletic purposes how do you prove it? One district doesn’t allow students to repeat. A parent says they want their child to repeat. They transfer the student to a school that allows students to repeat. How do you prove it? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s hard for me to see school systems denying this. If you deny that 1st grade student that’s had to go virtual the ability to retake and relearn their classes and content that’s going to be a bad look. And if you let one, you let all. If you deny one, you deny all. The fifth year senior is just 1/12 of the school population you’re dealing with. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.