5th Year Seniors...

I don't see any down side in this.  It gives individual students (along with their parents) to make their own decision on repeating a grade if they want.  Try not to put blinders on this as only a Senior student...If I feel like my 5th grader has not received the quality of education that I would want before jumping into Middle School or an 8th grader before jumping to High School, then repeat at your leisure.  This is a once of a lifetime/generation pandemic we have lived with for the last 12 months.  I say this is a ONE TIME "pass" for a lack of better term for these students to repeat ...pretty much no questions asked, with the caveat that the District allows it.  That's the silver lining to JOAT credit, if you allow 1 student to do it that wants to, you must allow all the students that want to do it.  Can't let Suzie do it but not Jane within your district.....etc, etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

So are KHSAA records going to fall in unprecedented numbers in the next two years? Or will it be riddled with asterisks?

No more asterisks then MLB in the late 90s....it is what it is....we will know that this is the Covid Era.

7 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

I don't see any down side in this.  It gives individual students (along with their parents) to make their own decision on repeating a grade if they want.  Try not to put blinders on this as only a Senior student...If I feel like my 5th grader has not received the quality of education that I would want before jumping into Middle School or an 8th grader before jumping to High School, then repeat at your leisure.  This is a once of a lifetime/generation pandemic we have lived with for the last 12 months.  I say this is a ONE TIME "pass" for a lack of better term for these students to repeat ...pretty much no questions asked, with the caveat that the District allows it.  That's the silver lining to JOAT credit, if you allow 1 student to do it that wants to, you must allow all the students that want to do it.  Can't let Suzie do it but not Jane within your district.....etc, etc.

Personally, I think the biggest beneficiaries of this law will be current kindergarteners, 1st and 2nd graders. Think about it...you're supposed to be learning the building blocks of reading, writing and arithmetic at that point, and you were stuck doing so largely (or wholly) via Non-Traditional Instruction looking at a teacher and assignments on a computer screen. Having more time to get those basics down is going to be nothing but a bigger benefit in the longrun.

• Like 7

I’m sorry guys I just can’t see many if any kid going to school a extra year when you already have your diploma just to play sports. What if they go to school through football season and then quit going that wouldn’t be right.

18 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Personally, I think the biggest beneficiaries of this law will be current kindergarteners, 1st and 2nd graders. Think about it...you're supposed to be learning the building blocks of reading, writing and arithmetic at that point, and you were stuck doing so largely (or wholly) via Non-Traditional Instruction looking at a teacher and assignments on a computer screen. Having more time to get those basics down is going to be nothing but a bigger benefit in the longrun.

EXACTLY, In my mind you HAVE to look at this as a law to benefit the "student", if that creates "opportunities" in athletics......it is a small price to pay to make sure we aren't hurting the education opportunities to our youth.

2 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I’m sorry guys I just can’t see many if any kid going to school a extra year when you already have your diploma just to play sports. What if they go to school through football season and then quit going that wouldn’t be right.

I think some will. But you might have a point there.

2 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

KHSAA age rule still in effect. I don’t see anyone in private schools taking advantage of this unless transfer to public school. I don’t see a parent wanting to pay another 15,000. Not sure private schools would entertain this or not.

In regards to parents paying for an additional year, I agree. To your last point, it's the antithesis of every private school mission statement I've ever seen.

7 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

Just what I was going to say.  I could see a fall sport athlete coming back for 2 months then dropping out.  I can’t see many winter or spring sport athletes repeating the entire year.

15 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

13 minutes ago, Willy the whale said:

I think some will. But you might have a point there.

I read a few different articles that stated the Department of Education is advising school districts to prepare for 3-5% of their students to apply for re-do years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I read a few different articles that stated the Department of Education is advising school districts to prepare for 3-5% of their students to apply for re-do years.

I like it. Just like everything else in the world, there will be good and bad things. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cincydragons said:

Just what I was going to say.  I could see a fall sport athlete coming back for 2 months then dropping out.  I can’t see many winter or spring sport athletes repeating the entire year.

To play NCAA sports, you must have a high school diploma.

1.) Will anyone apply to re-do their school year only to play 2 months and then drop out, simply for the sake of playing one more season of high school sports? That is to say, is anyone going to repeat a their senior year - with sports as their main reason for doing so - if trying to play college sports is not the major driving force behind that?

2.) Deadline for student applications to repeat a school year is June 15th. Are high school diplomas finalized by then? If a school has graduation on May 31st, then a student comes back two weeks at the after graduating at the June 15th deadline and applies for a re-do school year, does that wipe out their diploma? Or have they already graduated, thus giving them a high school diploma (for 4 years of high school) and permitting them to play in NCAA sports even if they drop out months into the subsequent re-do school year?

2 hours ago, DragonFire said:

Tackett has said previously that the age 19 rule would hold, but that was it.  I don't know that I've seen anything specific to whether or not that player has to stay at that school.  I would assume they don't - that it would be the same process of transfer rules as always, whether they had repeated or not. 

As to the original post in the thread, I have heard stories about some locals taking advantage of the rule and staying around an extra year.  Somewhat, I will believe it when I see it.  I know that I didn't have to go through something like this while I was in school so my experience was different (plus I didn't play sports), but I would have considered it unfathomable to willingly delay my life an additional year for any reason, least of all sports.  I had the same position on grad school in college - get me out to the real world.

I'm with you.  But you can't deny that a whole bunch of kids will feel a whole bunch of pressure to stay.  We all know that it happens A LOT in middle school.

31 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

So are KHSAA records going to fall in unprecedented numbers in the next two years? Or will it be riddled with asterisks?

I believe Kentucky is one of the few states that include 7th and 8th grade performances in counting towards career totals. We already have incoming freshmen basketball players with 1,500 varsity points. There will be no asterisks, but I could see a parent hold a kid back so that Joe Jr. can become the all-time this or that.

• Like 2