Beechwood - 2021 Schedule

58 minutes ago, Asmith2731 said:

Lots of opinions on here .... wonder if those opinions have any experience behind them. I have a son who plays college ball....that being said, the fact that Cam had no camps to attend is a direct reflection on his options to choose from.  I understand 100% his decision! You could be the next Joe Burrow but if recruits can't lay eyes on you it doesn't matter. Camps are the MOST important part of the recruiting process in this day and age folks! Let the kid do his thing and chase after his dream! I for one tip my hat to the kid for going all in! Go big or go home! 

All this talk about camps is silly... No one across the country from the class of 2021 got to attend college camps, which includes Cam and the 28 kids from KY who signed with D1 programs as 2021 grads. Cam had 3 years as a starter, meaning 3 years of film to evaluate, which was an even playing field with all other 2021 grads. Also, there are several current 2022 grads in NKY that currently have D1 offers... none of them have attended college camps either. 

Cam is a great high school player..... however that doesn't always translate to the D1 level like many fans and parents think. It is really hard to get a D1 offer... no shame in not getting to that level. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asmith2731 said:

Lots of opinions on here .... wonder if those opinions have any experience behind them. I have a son who plays college ball....that being said, the fact that Cam had no camps to attend is a direct reflection on his options to choose from.  I understand 100% his decision! You could be the next Joe Burrow but if recruits can't lay eyes on you it doesn't matter. Camps are the MOST important part of the recruiting process in this day and age folks! Let the kid do his thing and chase after his dream! I for one tip my hat to the kid for going all in! Go big or go home! 

image.gif.65804112d4b77d854366a57a4697b5f3.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueKernels said:

All this talk about camps is silly... No one across the country from the class of 2021 got to attend college camps, which includes Cam and the 28 kids from KY who signed with D1 programs as 2021 grads. Cam had 3 years as a starter, meaning 3 years of film to evaluate, which was an even playing field with all other 2021 grads. Also, there are several current 2022 grads in NKY that currently have D1 offers... none of them have attended college camps either. 

Cam is a great high school player..... however that doesn't always translate to the D1 level like many fans and parents think. It is really hard to get a D1 offer... no shame in not getting to that level. 

Yet he still had multiple D-1 offers. FCS, but full rides. Right?

1 hour ago, BlueKernels said:

Camps are silly??? Literally are the most important part of recruiting.  Those other kids might have already... wait ... guarantee they already had offers before last year. As a parent of a college running back I have witnessed this 1st hand! Plus the fact that NKY is notorious for being past over as recruiters go from Cincinnati straight to Lexington and Louisville. 

10 minutes ago, Asmith2731 said:

Camps are silly??? Literally are the most important part of recruiting.  Those other kids might have already... wait ... guarantee they already had offers before last year. As a parent of a college running back I have witnessed this 1st hand! Plus the fact that NKY is notorious for being past over as recruiters go from Cincinnati straight to Lexington and Louisville. 

Camps in general are not silly.... the mention of them as a big miss for Cam is... none of the other nearly 30 2021 kids from KY who signed with D1 schools went had the chance to go to them either. That was the point. Obviously camps can help, however many kids do get offers with never attending college camps, and the kids I'm familiar with for the 2022 class in NKY all just recieved their first offers beginning in January of this year. One of them actually plays for Beechwood. 

4 hours ago, BlueKernels said:

What happened with 28 other KY kids really has nothing to do with Cam. Every player has their own situation to consider. Cam was evaluated last year as a borderline D1 FBS scholarship player. He had D1 offers and walk on FBS opportunities. He obviously is close to that FBS D1 level he wants. For players evaluated by recruiters as that close to FBS D1, another year to grow, develop and work on the perceived areas of weakness could be the difference. After all we all experienced last year, how can anyone begrudge a player in this situation from seizing the opportunity to achieve a dream?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bjknku02 said:

What about the kids behind him and the others who are now legitimate seniors and have put in the time, waiting patiently behind these guys that are coming back?  It doesn't help those guys out at all.  Do you just say screw you to those kids?    

"Waiting patiently" is code for not good enough. No one promises playing time to guys who "wait patiently". If you're good enough, you should play. If you aren't good enough, then work to be good enough so you play. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, theguru said:

I am pretty sure Cam is a tuition student at Beechwood so him coming back sounds like a win for the bottom line

14 hours ago, theguru said:

I am pretty sure Cam is a tuition student at Beechwood so him coming back sounds like a win for the bottom line. 

Amen to that. I say good for him. If he wants to stay another year then let him. 

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Repaired quote.

18 hours ago, bjknku02 said:

Hergott's decision is strictly an athletic decision and not right in many ways. Why should the tax payers of Ft. Mitchell have their tax dollars go to him and any of the others mentioned who are strictly making this decision for athletics.  If this decision was based on academics, I get it and all for it.  It 100% is not, it is based on not liking his scholarship options and that is not right the tax payers are on the hook to support this decision.  He had his 4 years and had a great career, move on!

If he can stay another year then do it. I don’t blame him at all. 

• Like 1

While none of it should surprise me considering where we are as a society, I cannot believe the amount of negativity, nastiness, and childishness being aimed at an 18 year old HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT who is making a decision based on KHSAA rules that - like it or not - allows him to do such. 

Most of us, including those aiming direct shots at a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, have zero idea what his situation is, what he and his family have worked through, what college recruiting REALLY is, and, most importantly, what's in the that young man's heart. Also, how many of you throwing shade have a recruitable college QB in your home? How many of you are college recruiters and truly understand the nature of this climate? 

A WHOLE LOT of people acting like they know what they're talking about when - really - they have no idea. 

I understand there's a certain amount of "you made the decision, you gotta take the heat" here...but the stuff I've seen over the last 24 hours is ridiculous. Aim the energy or hatred or emotion or whatever it is that leads you to climb the ladder into this area of behavior to the right entities...not the kid. 

Be better. 

• Like 7

This thread is obviously very emotional for some of you, please remember our Terms of Service including any mention of politics.  The KHSAA says 5th year seniors are allowed and that is the end of it for BGP purposes.  

Thanks!

g

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

What happened with 28 other KY kids really has nothing to do with Cam. Every player has their own situation to consider. Cam was evaluated last year as a borderline D1 FBS scholarship player. He had D1 offers and walk on FBS opportunities. He obviously is close to that FBS D1 level he wants. For players evaluated by recruiters as that close to FBS D1, another year to grow, develop and work on the perceived areas of weakness could be the difference. After all we all experienced last year, how can anyone begrudge a player in this situation from seizing the opportunity to achieve a dream?

Just to play devil's advocate, we really don't know the player/team that will end up with the short end of the stick yet. Let's say Hergott has another Mr. Football caliber season and wins the award. The player that comes in second would have to wonder what if. If Beechwood narrowly edges/beats teams in the playoffs on the play of Hergott, those teams/communities would have to wonder what if as well. And if these 5th year seniors enroll in college in January, that makes their decision to come back only seem about sports, which I don't think was the original intent of the rule.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BrosefStalin said:

While none of it should surprise me considering where we are as a society, I cannot believe the amount of negativity, nastiness, and childishness being aimed at an 18 year old HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT who is making a decision based on KHSAA rules that - like it or not - allows him to do such. 

Most of us, including those aiming direct shots at a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT, have zero idea what his situation is, what he and his family have worked through, what college recruiting REALLY is, and, most importantly, what's in the that young man's heart. Also, how many of you throwing shade have a recruitable college QB in your home? How many of you are college recruiters and truly understand the nature of this climate? 

A WHOLE LOT of people acting like they know what they're talking about when - really - they have no idea. 

I understand there's a certain amount of "you made the decision, you gotta take the heat" here...but the stuff I've seen over the last 24 hours is ridiculous. Aim the energy or hatred or emotion or whatever it is that leads you to climb the ladder into this area of behavior to the right entities...not the kid. 

Be better. 

I would have to agree!

I wish nothing but the best for young Cam. He, and many other athletes around the state, is taking advantage of an opportunity that presented itself. He and his family are hoping for a better future!! No one can be mad at that.

Is it unfair for everyone else, Maybe.  Do I agree with the ruling, ABSOLUTY NOT. But my frustration will not be on these kids for taking advantage of the opportunity the higher ups allowed!!

I believe the age restriction is still the same for all HS sports. Right? So we aren't going to have 20 year old playing 15,16  year old kids. 

Again, hats off for Cam and his family to give up a year of his time to attempt for a better future!  I hope it works out for him. Time will tell.

• Like 1

• theguru locked this topic
  • theguru unlocked this topic
  • 2 months later...