Costco or Sam's Club?

MJAlltheWay24

Which Do You Prefer?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Costco
    • Sam's Club
    • Neither

I am a little embarrassed to say this, but one year I bought all my winter clothes from Sam’s.

Before Christmas, I bought the most awesome throw blankets from Costco for $30 each.  My son wanted one, but of course they were gone, when I went back. Found the same blanket on Amazon for $70.

We're at Costco.

My parents belonged to Sam's Club when I was a teenager. They belong to both Costco and Sam's Club now. They say they find "more good stuff" at Costco, though...whatever that means.

I only fill up my gas at Costco, with the exception of about once a month when I fill up my gas at Kroger to redeem my fuel points. I don't know if any Sam's Club locations have gas stations, or if gas prices compete with Costco if they do have them...but I can't ever recall seeing a gas station at a Sam's Club.

I'd say the food offerings are about 75% comparable, but as for the remaining 25%, I'll second what @bugatti said about having way more healthy food options. And I think in a lot of cases (although not all), Costco's store brand products are much better than Sam's store brand products. Plus, I went to Sam's Club a few months ago with my dad to pick up a few large shelves he ordered online, and it was wayyyyy dirtier inside than the Costco's I've been to.

I also really like the Costco liquor store. Not sure whether or not Sam's Club has any of those. And I've ordered my last few pairs of glasses through Costco, which I believe you can also do at Sam's Club. The two have comparable tire/battery services as well.

One more thing...I grill 3 or 4 nights a week, year round. I love getting to go to Costco and have the propane tank filled for $8 instead of paying like $24 at a gas station and being sent home with a rusty, greasy exchange tank when I showed up with a clean one.

4 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

We're at Costco.

My parents belonged to Sam's Club when I was a teenager. They belong to both Costco and Sam's Club now. They say they find "more good stuff" at Costco, though...whatever that means.

I only fill up my gas at Costco, with the exception of about once a month when I fill up my gas at Kroger to redeem my fuel points. I don't know if any Sam's Club locations have gas stations, or if gas prices compete with Costco if they do have them...but I can't ever recall seeing a gas station at a Sam's Club.

I'd say the food offerings are about 75% comparable, but as for the remaining 25%, I'll second what @bugatti said about having way more healthy food options. And I think in a lot of cases (although not all), Costco's store brand products are much better than Sam's store brand products. Plus, I went to Sam's Club a few months ago with my dad to pick up a few large shelves he ordered online, and it was wayyyyy dirtier inside than the Costco's I've been to.

I also really like the Costco liquor store. Not sure whether or not Sam's Club has any of those. And I've ordered my last few pairs of glasses through Costco, which I believe you can also do at Sam's Club. The two have comparable tire/battery services as well.

One more thing...I grill 3 or 4 nights a week, year round. I love getting to go to Costco and have the propane tank filled for $8 instead of paying like $24 at a gas station and being sent home with a rusty, greasy exchange tank when I showed up with a clean one.

Sam's Club has club locations that include gas stations and/or liquor stores.  Not all club locations have those amenities, but the same goes for Costco locations.

Sam's Club is the choice for our household.  They've been offering curbside pickup for awhile now, while Costco just began rolling that service out within the last week I believe. 

I'd say prices are fairly comparable between the two for the most frequent purchases, so it really comes down to personal preference on a smaller volume of items that could easily sway a household one way or the other.  For us, we much prefer the clothing/apparel section at Sam's Club to Costco's apparel offerings. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cuban Missile said:

Sam's Club has club locations that include gas stations and/or liquor stores.  Not all club locations have those amenities, but the same goes for Costco locations.

Sam's Club is the choice for our household.  They've been offering curbside pickup for awhile now, while Costco just began rolling that service out within the last week I believe. 

I'd say prices are fairly comparable between the two for the most frequent purchases, so it really comes down to personal preference on a smaller volume of items that could easily sway a household one way or the other.  For us, we much prefer the clothing/apparel section at Sam's Club to Costco's apparel offerings. 

One thing we used to like with Sam's Club on the convenience front was the app allowing you to scan and pay for items as you go to avoid waiting in line when you left.

The Costco checkout sytem - at our location, at least - is a machine, so I can't complain too much.

19 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

We're at Costco.

When my father was alive we had no need for any membership club, because he belonged to the biggest membership club of all. The US Military.

When I was a kid we would drive up to Ft. Knox twice a year and get bulk items, visiting my grandparents in E-Town on the way. When we combined households so I could take care of my parents, he got me an ID that would let me on MacDill AFB. I would gas up, get Dad's meds at the Pharma-Care, and shop at the commissary and BX. No membership club can beat those prices, especially in the BX where there was no excise or sales tax charged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...