Costco or Sam's Club?

MJAlltheWay24

Which Do You Prefer?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Costco
    • Sam's Club
    • Neither

I feel like I grew up with Sam's Club because my mom always shopped there.  I'm new to Costco and have only been twice, just getting back from my second trip.

What's the difference?  They seem identical to me.  Including the layout and even the font on the pricing signs.

Which do you prefer?

After years at Sams we switched when Costco opened 5 years ago.  Costco has better meat overall and better middle to upper end prepared foods. 

Kirkland brand products are typically as good if not better than name brand items.

Sams used to excel at concession style items, but that no longer have any interest to me. 

Costco is great for gas if you pass there often, I do.

The 2% cash back has paid for itself every year but 1.

I have never missed Sams since we switched.

5 hours ago, nkypete said:

The drive to Florence through traffic never made sense to me for value (either store).  I'll keep taking my chances with the local options.

I am with you. Convenience is more important to me.

-----------------------

I have never looked closely at either Sam's or Costco. I have been in Sam's a couple times in my life and Costco once that I recall. It seemed like you needed to buy a lot of bulk stuff to achieve savings but that is obviously a very limited view from me. Why should I drive 10 miles to shop at either of these two versus my neighborhood Kroger or WalMart?

14 hours ago, Sheldon said:

After years at Sams we switched when Costco opened 5 years ago.  Costco has better meat overall and better middle to upper end prepared foods. 

Kirkland brand products are typically as good if not better than name brand items.

I went to Costco yesterday and loaded up on meat.  The freezer was getting bare.

• Like 1

I have been with Sam’s Club for many years. A couple years ago I joined both. But after a year I dropped the Costco and kept the Sam’s card. I like Sam’s Club much better. It was nothing directly against Costco as much as it was knowing where everything is in the store. I was so used to Sam’s I could go straight to whatever I needed. In Costco I was constantly hunting through isles or asking other people where certain items were. 

I honestly don’t think there is any difference. Costco probably has some better take home food items and a couple unique Kirkland signature items but that’s basically it. We have a Sams Membership and use it all the time. The meat selection has honestly been better than most local grocery stores in my experience. You can usually get 2 USDA Prime Ribeyes at Sams for like $25. 

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am with you. Convenience is more important to me.

-----------------------

I have never looked closely at either Sam's or Costco. I have been in Sam's a couple times in my life and Costco once that I recall. It seemed like you needed to buy a lot of bulk stuff to achieve savings but that is obviously a very limited view from me. Why should I drive 10 miles to shop at either of these two versus my neighborhood Kroger or WalMart?

We mostly buy things like toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, etc. at Costco because we can buy them in bulk and store them. The largest pack of toilet paper that Costco sells will literally last us almost a year. We still do all the rest of our grocery shopping at Kroger. 

Again, the food selection is nowhere near comparable. I might be more in-tune with that sort of thing than most, but Costco has an abundance of organic options that Sam's Club does not have. It is challenging to find bulk organic/healthier groceries and Costco provides that.

Growing up my family always used Sam's club. My wife and I now use Costco and love it. Their sections of "everyday groceries" are better than Sam's in my opinion. We buy all of our fruit and veggies, meat, breads, etc. at Costco which I don't think we ever did at Sam's. As @Sheldon said the Kirkland brand items are really solid too; both food and toiletries. I also highly recommend checking out the Costco liquor stores; I have found some absolute steals on great/rare bourbons there. 

Also, a slice of Costco pizza on the way out is the start to a nice little Sunday haha