Open Job: Highlands

theguru

17 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I don't have any information on whether or not he has applied or interviewed, but this one interests me somewhat. Eddie is an '05 Franklin County grad, which puts him around 31 years old. He has experience on the middle school level in his resume. He spent time on Chuck Smith's staff at Boyle County coaching quarterbacks, and was the OC at Franklin County for a year or two before becoming their head coach in 2017.

Franklin County was down in '16 when he was OC under interim coach Nick Sheridan, and went 4-7 that year. Then Eddie took over in '17 and they finished 5-6. They were 10-3 in '18, then 11-1 in '19, and 9-2 this past season, losing to Central by 2, and losing to Boyle by 3 in OT in the state finals. That's a solid resume for success.

Pros:
- Middle school experience would assumedly check a box at Highlands for a coach who has firsthand knowledge of how to create involvement and manufacture excitement in the kids from their middle schools and the FTJFL
- Time served coaching under Chuck Smith can't be seen as anything but a resume builder for any coach.
- Successful track record at a school that's relatively comparable in size to Highlands.
- Coach James seems to do a good job of catering his offensive look to compliment the players he has. Work with what you got. Sometimes the original plan or the "system" you thought you had in place just won't work, and you have to be willing to scrap it and move on to figuring out a Plan B, Plan C, or Plan D.
- Program success under the coach.

Cons:
- Has only been head coach at one school.
- For better or worse, Franklin County has been a program with 7 different head coaches in the last 20 years. Even with that much coaching turnover, the majority of their seasons have had at least 7 or more wins. Franklin County is a program that recent history shows has a tendency to succeed, regardless of who their coach is. That's not to say that Coach James hasn't been anything short of a major asset, but it's still true.
- Eddie has had some serious talent the last couple of seasons at Franklin County. There's bound to be someone who will look at Coach James' record in the last couple of years as a largely being product of talent. I have to hope that the people calling the shots at Highlands know that there's more that goes into a couple of deep playoff runs that include an overtime appearance in the state title game than just having talent on your roster.
- He doesn't have a state championship. He has a runners up from one of the most competitive games played against Boyle County in the last 2 or 3 seasons, but no state championship.

I think the other thing some folks may or may not ask about Coach James (if he applied or interviews) is whether or not he is prepared for the NKY environment and the insular and highly critical - but supportive - Highlands community. Fort Thomas is different from Frankfort, although it's probably fairly comparable to Boyle County and the Danville area.

All in all, I think hiring Coach James would have a kind of a Duffy feel to it - albeit a little more likely not to have a coach who walks in the door at his new job telling the school and parents that they probably won't like him, and that he couldn't care less whether they do or don't like him.

One of the biggest questions is whether or not Eddie James is even interested in Highlands, though. I think we would all have to assume the Highlands job is a pay raise over the Franklin County job, but Eddie is currently the head coach at his alma mater, he's having some real success their as the head coach, and he still more than likely has some personal initiative to try to get a state championship at his alma mater.

You are a machine CWB, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, theguru said:

Jamie Reed South Oldham Head Football Coach

Stephen Lickert Newport Central Catholic Head Football Coach

Chris Wolfe Male Head Football Coach

Bert Bathiany Tiffin University Assistant Football Coach

Unknown High School Football Coach from Evansville Indiana

David Fulcher Former Bengal and Former Cincinnati Christian Head Football Coach

Who else?

I'm highly suspicious that the matters addressed in this press conference could heavily impact any consideration Chris Wolfe gives to moving back to Ft. Thomas. If Coach Beatty is officially retiring, as is the suspicion, this could be a chance for Wolfe to keep his family in Louisville, and make what would assumedly be quite the bump up in pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm highly suspicious that the matters addressed in this press conference could heavily impact any consideration Chris Wolfe gives to moving back to Ft. Thomas. If Coach Beatty is officially retiring, as is the suspicion, this could be a chance for Wolfe to keep his family in Louisville, and make what would assumedly be quite the bump up in pay.

Great point on staying in Louisville but I am sure there is plenty of money in Fort Thomas to go around too.

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Now that would be an excellent hire. 

Especially if he could bring some of that speed and quickness with him! Really nice team. As I remember FC has been pretty good over the years. Officiated there a few times and they were good then.

6 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I had alluded to that about 500 posts ago. Trinity may be a little down by their standard for a year or two, and Male will be pretty good right? Could be a lot of dominoes in the coaching ranks in KY. I would think Chris and Coverdale (Cincy St. X OC) both have Trinity's attention.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 9068 said:

I had alluded to that about 500 posts ago. Trinity may be a little down by their standard for a year or two, and Male will be pretty good right? Could be a lot of dominoes in the coaching ranks in KY. I would think Chris and Coverdale (Cincy St. X OC) both have Trinity's attention.

At this point who knows when the public schools in Jefferson County will play sports again.  It seems like the perfect time to transfer to a private school and it should be approved no questions asked.

On another point, Coach Wolfe is in a good situation to pit Highlands and Trinity against each other in a bidding war for his services. 

I am going to need my popcorn! 🍿

• Like 1

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums. All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

3 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Well Fort Thomas is going to have a new Super in a few months, what impact does that have on things?

None what so ever. I would think she will be very glad when this position is filled.....and come July, no more football to deal with in the big FT.

Here is your summary........nothing has happened.  Lots of speculation which is what makes this fun to read.  I do suggest reading all the pages.  Its a good read.  😄

That being said you can scroll through the last couple pages and get the feel for who has applied and/or been approached.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, theguru said:

You tell me?  

Also for you or anyone, Coach Wolfe is obviously someone that says what is on his mind which we witnessed with his many criticisms of the Jefferson County Public Schools this fall.  With that in mind, has Coach Wolfe made any public statements about his coaching career for 2021 and beyond?

None that were public. Wolfe is a private man and we respect that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ballfan34 said:

I have not kept updated on this thread since the job opened originally. Don’t really feel like reading 48 pages of this stuff. Anyone want to write me a quick summary of what’s happened 😂?

I have time to do this.  So, Highlands decided to let BW go (still not entirely sure if he was let go or resigned).   Now, there were a couple of pages early on that re-litigated these circumstances with one side arguing that the talent is down, its not the job it once was and the Ft Thomas "mafia" needs to adjust their expectations.    Then the mafia fought back and argued that there have been systemic problems within the program for years now, that not all good coordinators make good head coaches, there is nothing wrong with high expectations and a change needed to be made and the program will rise again. 

The middle pages are essentially wild conjecture from most people, but then these interesting vague little nuggets by some members who seem to be more in the know than others.   It basically boiled down to one side arguing that the talent is down, its not the job it once was and the Ft Thomas "mafia" needs to adjust their expectations.    Then the mafia fought back and argued that there have been systemic problems within the program for years now, that not all good coordinators make good head coaches, there is nothing wrong with high expectations and a change needed to be made and the program will rise again.   

The last several pages are really the most timely and give, what I understand to be, a pretty accurate accounting thus far of who has applied/interviewed, etc.   However, within those pages, you should be aware that there is one side arguing that the talent is down, its not the job it once was and the Ft Thomas "mafia" needs to adjust their expectations.    Then the mafia fought back and argued that there have been systemic problems within the program for years now, that not all good coordinators make good head coaches, there is nothing wrong with high expectations and a change needed to be made and the program will rise again. 

Honestly, just read like the last two pages, Guru is keeping a list of all confirmed candidates.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, observerbynature said:

I have time to do this.  So, Highlands decided to let BW go (still not entirely sure if he was let go or resigned).   Now, there were a couple of pages early on that re-litigated these circumstances with one side arguing that the talent is down, its not the job it once was and the Ft Thomas "mafia" needs to adjust their expectations.    Then the mafia fought back and argued that there have been systemic problems within the program for years now, that not all good coordinators make good head coaches, there is nothing wrong with high expectations and a change needed to be made and the program will rise again. 

The middle pages are essentially wild conjecture from most people, but then these interesting vague little nuggets by some members who seem to be more in the know than others.   It basically boiled down to one side arguing that the talent is down, its not the job it once was and the Ft Thomas "mafia" needs to adjust their expectations.    Then the mafia fought back and argued that there have been systemic problems within the program for years now, that not all good coordinators make good head coaches, there is nothing wrong with high expectations and a change needed to be made and the program will rise again.   

The last several pages are really the most timely and give, what I understand to be, a pretty accurate accounting thus far of who has applied/interviewed, etc.   However, within those pages, you should be aware that there is one side arguing that the talent is down, its not the job it once was and the Ft Thomas "mafia" needs to adjust their expectations.    Then the mafia fought back and argued that there have been systemic problems within the program for years now, that not all good coordinators make good head coaches, there is nothing wrong with high expectations and a change needed to be made and the program will rise again. 

Honestly, just read like the last two pages, Guru is keeping a list of all confirmed candidates.  

That was an excellent Cliff Notes version of the thread.

The only other point that should have been included is that Sweeperboy should be the new Head Coach with JOAT and Tedfromvillahills as his assistants. It has been right in front of us the whole time. And I mean for years.

Please nobody get their shorts in a bunch....it was a stab at a little humor. LOL.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2