Open Job: Highlands

theguru

Just now, BirdDaddy said:

Totally agree. I remember when It was talked about on BGP about Billy Donovan was buying a Horse farm in Versailles. Right? How did that turn out? I love BGP. I come here for everything I need to know. But some of the Info in this very Forum is really tough to wrap my head around. That’s just not how schools operate in 2021. Again I don’t think schools with academics like Highlands and many other can afford to operate like the Old school days. Just doesn’t work like that anymore.

Unfortunately certain personality types like to promote themselves with outlandish speculation.  Like anything else, we all have to take the good with the bad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, TheDeuce said:

I'm not sure I agree about parents/students having "the right" to know what a coach is doing. Does a coach have "the right" to know if the parents of his star QB are looking at jobs and moving away? 

I would say think on it some and I believe your analogy is apples and oranges.  

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

Let's take Coach Lickert for example.  I like him just fine and we had some interactions in the past and he was always professional with me/BGP but at the same time I think parents and students have a right to know if the school they are considering (or are currently attending) has a football coach that is looking for another job. 

On Coach Wolfe, I think "applied question" is more semantics than anything.  The way I understand it, it is his job if he wants it so at a minimum there has been communication between Coach Wolfe and Highlands. 

I have heard it all from a thesis paper on how to fix the problems to an offer and first born.  Kids can’t enter a portal if wrong choice.  I too think player involvement is fine it is good for the students to at least understand the process.  Truth of the matter is other schools have caught up and you have to have Jimmy/Joes and the others buy in on  opportunities.  Dale had a way in making the 5th string water boy irreplaceable.  He liked to spray when talking and grown adults would be there to catch his spit.  I sincerely believe they have the players to compete.  

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I would say think on it some and I believe your analogy is apples and oranges.  

I hear where you are coming from, but I also believe coaches should be able to explore opportunities to better their situation without everyone where they currently work knowing about it. They deserve some privacy in that regard, IMO. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bird Bath said:

I have heard it all from a thesis paper on how to fix the problems to an offer and first born.  Kids can’t enter a portal if wrong choice.  I too think player involvement is fine it is good for the students to at least understand the process.  Truth of the matter is other schools have caught up and you have to have Jimmy/Joes and the others buy in on  opportunities.  Dale had a way in making the 5th string water boy irreplaceable.  He liked to spray when talking and grown adults would be there to catch his spit.  I sincerely believe they have the players to compete.  

I agree Coach Mueller got the max out of everyone and that is an almost impossible act to replace. 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

I hear where you are coming from, but I also believe coaches should be able to explore opportunities to better their situation without everyone where they currently work knowing about it. They deserve some privacy in that regard, IMO. 

I am conflicted on it but coaches are paid professionals and considering players just can't "up and transfer" if there is a coaching change and schools are supposed to be about kids (are you listening JCPS) I think the higher good is served by the transparency. 

Just now, theguru said:

I am conflicted on it but coaches are paid professionals and considering players just can't "up and transfer" if there is a coaching change and schools are supposed to be about kids (are you listening JCPS) I think the higher good is served by the transparency. 

What is accomplished by a group of students/parents knowing their coach is looking at other jobs?

• Like 2

Just now, TheDeuce said:

What is accomplished by a group of students/parents knowing their coach is looking at other jobs?

Maybe the coach is the reason they chose or are planning to choose a school.  It boils down to school choice for me. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

I'm glad you two are discussing this, cause I think its a pretty interesting discussion that we could certainly take down extended paths in many directions.   It's the ultimate conflict because it's been a jolt of excitement when some names just get dropped in a pretty definitive manner, but there's also a twinge of "wait, was School X aware of this?"   

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, theguru said:

Maybe the coach is the reason they chose or are planning to choose a school.  It boils down to school choice for me. 

That's possible I suppose, but I thank that happening at the high school level is pretty rare in general. 

• Like 1

I always thought it was a foregone conclusion that Coach Lickert was building his resume to try and become the coach at Highlands one day. I don't feel like it was a secret that it was his goal. Ironically I've never actually spoken with him just always what I had heard. So as a fan of NCC it doesn't shock or surprise me that he applied. Additionally I don't think it affects his ability to coach the students if he doesn't get the job and returns to NCC's sidelines.

2 minutes ago, InsideSlant said:

I always thought it was a foregone conclusion that Coach Lickert was building his resume to try and become the coach at Highlands one day. I don't feel like it was a secret that it was his goal. Ironically I've never actually spoken with him just always what I had heard. So as a fan of NCC it doesn't shock or surprise me that he applied. Additionally I don't think it affects his ability to coach the students if he doesn't get the job and returns to NCC's sidelines.

I don’t think 16-17 year olds think the same as you. It only takes 1 player to start a resistance against your coach. Hope you’re right.

It certainly makes it easier on a coach when he is approached by an interested party, as opposed to making them apply. If the rumors are true, and it’s Wolfe’s job to lose, no application necessary, he can say “it’s my alma mater, they asked me for a meeting and I owe it to them to listen”. No harm done. If he passes on the job, so be it. He didn’t quit on his team. But when you put in that application, it’s a different story. 

• Like 2

Just now, BigErn said:

It certainly makes it easier on a coach when he is approached by an interested party, as opposed to making them apply. If the rumors are true, and it’s Wolfe’s job to lose, no application necessary, he can say “it’s my alma mater, they asked me for a meeting and I owe it to them to listen”. No harm done. If he passes on the job, so be it. He didn’t quit on his team. But when you put in that application, it’s a different story. 

Nobody should be above applying for a job. 

• Like 1