Open Job: Highlands

theguru

Outsiders will not deal with the Coach everyday. Some will like the hire some will bash it. But the players will deal with the new coach directly everyday. 

Downside of this....  So what happens when the player rep (team) falls in love with Candidate A and they hire Candidate B. 

5 hours ago, JoeTuck33 said:

Outsiders will not deal with the Coach everyday. Some will like the hire some will bash it. But the players will deal with the new coach directly everyday. 

Downside of this....  So what happens when the player rep (team) falls in love with Candidate A and they hire Candidate B. 

Hence the reason why it should be a complete surprise for the kids when the school announces the hire. 

I would most probably go with “really likes”for a football coach. JMO

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

This is becoming comical with players being that involved. I mean this is this new coaches livelihood right. And they are going to take a “recommendation” or a “I like him” from a high school kid. Cmon Man!!! 

Spot on, let’s keep things in perspective. This is a 20 yr hire and the kids and for that matter the administration will either be graduated or have moved on in 1 to 5 yrs.

The student participation thingy is setting an interesting precedence for years to come. Next kid that gets a bad grade in English will be looking to have that teacher replaced with a teacher that will give them an “A”.  And for what it is worth, I don’t blame the kids, I blame the adults for allowing this to take place. 

Take a deep breath everyone, this is a monumental hire and I have a very good feeling that “the powers to be” will make a decision everyone will be just fine with. 

• Like 1

Let's keep things in perspective here. There is NO way hiring a new coach hinges on the opinion of a senior to be player. I'm sure he's there to observe and learn the process. This is not uncommon. There have been advance level students sit in on hiring teachers for English, Math and Science. I'm sure they'll hire the best candidate possible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sweeperboy said:

Spot on, let’s keep things in perspective. This is a 20 yr hire and the kids and for that matter the administration will either be graduated or have moved on in 1 to 5 yrs.

The student participation thingy is setting an interesting precedence for years to come. Next kid that gets a bad grade in English will be looking to have that teacher replaced with a teacher that will give them an “A”.  And for what it is worth, I don’t blame the kids, I blame the adults for allowing this to take place. 

Take a deep breath everyone, this is a monumental hire and I have a very good feeling that “the powers to be” will make a decision everyone will be just fine with. 

You with some other posters are really going to wish you could walk back some of your posts someday. Basically diminishing the efforts by an administration some are supposed to support. I’m thinking that Student Athlete reads all of your concerns along with many others about his role in this process. Because I think he’s not going to forget it. Bravo. Being a High schooler right now is already tough enough and especially in the last 9 or 10 months. Good job making it that much tougher. I thought you and TFVH were going to lay low? Apparently not. Thought you guys supported Highlands High School? It sounds quite the opposite. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

You with some other posters are really going to wish you could walk back some of your posts someday. Basically diminishing the efforts by an administration some are supposed to support. I’m thinking that Student Athlete reads all of your concerns along with many others about his role in this process. Because I think he’s not going to forget it. Bravo. Being a High schooler right now is already tough enough and especially in the last 9 or 10 months. Good job making it that much tougher. I thought you and TFVH were going to lay low? Apparently not. Thought you guys supported Highlands High School? It sounds quite the opposite. 

Ok so go back and this time, Very slowly read my post again. Don’t play me against the kids and portray me as someone who doesn’t support the program. I have from day one supported the kids and questioned the adults. I have nothing to “walk back”. 

10 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Who are they set up to appease?

Two fold, everyone who thinks they should have a voice or to give the illusion that the decision is being made by a wide group of influences or areas.  The decision will be made by 2-3 people.  The Principal and the 1 or 2 other people he or she really trusts and have the opinions that he or she values. The committee might have one of those people on it and it might not.   Sometimes that involves the Superintendent and sometimes it doesn't. 

I personally like the players requesting a spot on the committee.  His input doesn't really matter but I like that they wanted to get involved in the process to a greater extent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

Two fold, everyone who thinks they should have a voice or to give the illusion that the decision is being made by a wide group of influences or areas.  The decision will be made by 2-3 people.  The Principal and the 1 or 2 other people he or she really trusts and have the opinions that he or she values. The committee might have one of those people on it and it might not.   Sometimes that involves the Superintendent and sometimes it doesn't. 

I personally like the players requesting a spot on the committee.  His input doesn't really matter but I like that they wanted to get involved in the process to a greater extent. 

Very good post.

Speaking of Principal... this post may get you a trip to the principals office. 😭

• Like 1

With a new head coach, will Highlands go for a new identity look as well. I say yes but of course Pete Rose struck out once so I could be wrong.

Blue helmets with white H. With a new hire, it’s time for a new brand as well. Just make sure you keep it Blue and White (school colors) and no black or red.

The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” – Randy Pausch,

I’ve heard a lot of interview advice for coaches over the years. Suggestions on how to make a coaching resume look good and standout. Lists of common questions one would be asked. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a hiring committee asking to see game film. I feel in most cases people might have seen a game or two in person (like Lickert for example) but I doubt many have seen the applicant from South Oldham for example. 

• Like 1