theguru

Who all do we have on the short list:

Jamie Reed South Oldham Head Football Coach

Stephen Lickert Newport Central Catholic Head Football Coach

Chris Wolfe Male Head Football Coach

Bert Bathiany Tiffin University Assistant Football Coach

Unknown High School Football Coach from Evansville Indiana

Who else?

As I said before, this gets more interesting ( and almost funny) with each post. No problem with a player on Committee....it's the players and school's team right? I see very few coaches staying 20 years in today's athletics nor do I view ( as a community member) this hire as being monumental. HS football really is about talent, speed, and buy-in to coaching style and philosophy....if the Birds can get those three in place they will roll again. I also know by experience that success runs in cycles in high school and is very dependent upon whom you MUST play to win championships. Officiated games when Trinity was in a down cycle and when they were world beaters... biggest difference....PLAYERS. Same at Cov Cath, etc.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 9068 said:

As I said before, this gets more interesting ( and almost funny) with each post. No problem with a player on Committee....it's the players and school's team right? I see very few coaches staying 20 years in today's athletics nor do I view ( as a community member) this hire as being monumental. HS football really is about talent, speed, and buy-in to coaching style and philosophy....if the Birds can get those three in place they will roll again. I also know by experience that success runs in cycles in high school and is very dependent upon whom you MUST play to win championships. Officiated games when Trinity was in a down cycle and when they were world beaters... biggest difference....PLAYERS. Same at Cov Cath, etc.

I don't have a problem with a player on the committee either, I trust that the Highlands powers that be will make it a positive and educational experience for the player and ultimately that player will "sell" the new head coach to the rest of the players. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sweeperboy said:

Spot on, let’s keep things in perspective. This is a 20 yr hire and the kids and for that matter the administration will either be graduated or have moved on in 1 to 5 yrs.

The student participation thingy is setting an interesting precedence for years to come. Next kid that gets a bad grade in English will be looking to have that teacher replaced with a teacher that will give them an “A”.  And for what it is worth, I don’t blame the kids, I blame the adults for allowing this to take place. 

Take a deep breath everyone, this is a monumental hire and I have a very good feeling that “the powers to be” will make a decision everyone will be just fine with. 

Talking about keeping things in perspective in one breath, and then taking the student being involved and blowing it out of proportion in the next. 

Makes sense. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

Who all do we have on the short list:

Jamie Reed South Oldham Head Football Coach

Stephen Lickert Newport Central Catholic Head Football Coach

Chris Wolfe Male Head Football Coach

Bert Bathiany Tiffin University Assistant Football Coach

Unknown High School Football Coach from Evansville Indiana

Who else?

Out of all of them I think Bert is your man. A couple of those names Highlands can’t even be serious with. So I don’t think there is a short list. 

• Like 1

Just now, BirdDaddy said:

Out of all of them I think Bert is your man. A couple of those names Highlands can’t even be serious with. So I don’t think there is a short list. 

Do you know of any other coaches that have applied or allegedly applied and/or were interviewed? 

Anyone?

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I don't have a problem with a player on the committee either, I trust that the Highlands powers that be will make it a positive and educational experience for the player and ultimately that player will "sell" the new head coach to the rest of the players. 

Interviewed for a college coaching position in the early 80s.....a team member was a member of the committee. As I recall his questions and the way he handled himself and treated me was much more impressive than a couple other members. Also had a faculty rep on Committee. School of about 10k. Still have rejection level from AD lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, theguru said:

Do you know of any other coaches that have applied or allegedly applied and/or were interviewed? 

Anyone?

Yes but also in the same breath have to protect their own Program. Plenty of other posters have already contributed to tearing apart the Applicants current situation or reputation by throwing names out there. What is NCC thinking right now? So our coach isn’t happy where he is?  I get it that Lickert is a Highlands grad but so is Wolfe. I think both would be just fine where they are. I have heard the names of the applicants and Wolfe’s name isn’t mentioned. Don’t think he’s interested or even applied.  Again I think it’s Bathiany’s to lose.

1 minute ago, 9068 said:

Interviewed for a college coaching position in the early 80s.....a team member was a member of the committee. As I recall his questions and the way he handled himself and treated me was much more impressive than a couple other members. Also had a faculty rep on Committee. School of about 10k. Still have rejection level from AD lol.

Exactly what I would expect from a player and again I like the player on the committee.

I see this as Highlands investing in students just like they do with the Highlands Broadcasting Network.  

I realize Highlands has been down but at the same time I think a lot of schools should be looking at Highlands as an example of what to do for students. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 9068 said:

This. Times do change but some don’t think it’s for the better. Highlands High School doesn’t operate like it’s the 1970’s anymore. 

47 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

Yes but also in the same breath have to protect their own Program. Plenty of other posters have already contributed to tearing apart the Applicants current situation or reputation by throwing names out there. What is NCC thinking right now? So our coach isn’t happy where he is?  I get it that Lickert is a Highlands grad but so is Wolfe. I think both would be just fine where they are. I have heard the names of the applicants and Wolfe’s name isn’t mentioned. Don’t think he’s interested or even applied.  Again I think it’s Bathiany’s to lose.

Let's take Coach Lickert for example.  I like him just fine and we had some interactions in the past and he was always professional with me/BGP but at the same time I think parents and students have a right to know if the school they are considering (or are currently attending) has a football coach that is looking for another job. 

On Coach Wolfe, I think the "applied question" is more semantics than anything.  The way I understand it, it is his job if he wants it so at a minimum there has been communication between Coach Wolfe and Highlands. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, theguru said:

Let's take Coach Lickert for example.  I like him just fine and we had some interactions in the past and he was always professional with me/BGP but at the same time I think parents and students have a right to know if the school they are considering (or are currently attending) has a football coach that is looking for another job. 

On Coach Wolfe, I think the "applied question" is more semantics than anything.  The way I understand it, it is his job if he wants it so at a minimum there has been communication between Coach Wolfe and Highlands. 

You know more than most in Ft Thomas then. And probably more than the Principal himself. That’s the problem. Not your fault but just the reality of it. Speculation at its finest. 

Just now, BirdDaddy said:

You know more than most in Ft Thomas. And probably more than the Principal himself. That’s the problem. Not your fault but just the reality of it. Speculation at its finest. 

No doubt lots of speculation but we are free to do that here at BGP and if anyone has a problem with it BGP is not for them. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, theguru said:

No doubt lots of speculation but we are free to do that here at BGP and if anyone has a problem with it BGP is not for them. 

Totally agree. I remember when It was talked about on BGP about Billy Donovan was buying a Horse farm in Versailles. Right? How did that turn out? I love BGP. I come here for everything I need to know. But some of the Info in this very Forum is really tough to wrap my head around. That’s just not how schools operate in 2021. Again I don’t think schools with academics like Highlands and many other can afford to operate like the Old school days. Just doesn’t work like that anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theguru said:

I'm not sure I agree about parents/students having "the right" to know what a coach is doing. Does a coach have "the right" to know if the parents of his star QB are looking at jobs and moving away? 

• Like 6