Open Job: Highlands

theguru

17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Colonel fans know that very well. You got rid of two coaches rather quickly and things turned around fast once Eviston was hired.

True, but having the Mayers, Coldiron, Kam Butler and Casey Mac helped a bunch too.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

If they get the right coach, I guarantee there will not be a losing record and depending on the schedule, no more than three losses. I also expect a win over Cov Cath in the next two years.

Someone that gets it.  Talent is there and has been to not have two teams be less than .500 in two years of the seven in which you are the head coach.  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, colonel-fan said:

Not talking about any potential turn around. Only that CovCath should be pretty good the next two years.

I think CCH is going to be pretty similar next year as they are this year; maybe slightly better, maybe slightly worse and then a chance to push 17-19 level good in 2022. 

I do expect Highlands to be significantly more competitive in the next few years, though, and have some fun games with the Colonels. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

None of those guys or players similar are there this year. The difference in talent this year between Cov Cath and Highlands is not that wide. Look at this year's records.

Right, but having a D1 QB and 3 big FBS skill guys that play both ways helps you win a ton of games very quickly. Culture and coaching is important, but everything changes when you have elite players. 

I thought there was a massive difference on the line of scrimmage between the 2 teams. Skill guys may be comparable, but CCH was significantly better up front and at QB. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

Right, but having a D1 QB and 3 big FBS skill guys that play both ways helps you win a ton of games very quickly. Culture and coaching is important, but everything changes when you have elite players. 

I thought there was a massive difference on the line of scrimmage between the 2 teams. Skill guys may be comparable, but CCH was significantly better up front and at QB. 

Now there’s a novel concept. A lot of “people” have been talking about whether that same thing would help Highlands or not. Interesting! The simple things.

2 hours ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

Great programs set their standards high so if a coach doesn’t or can’t reach that bar, then changes are made. I mean, heck, even CCH has had 5 different coaches in the same time frame. Just sayin!

With a lot less wins!

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

None of those guys or players similar are there this year. The difference in talent this year between Cov Cath and Highlands is not that wide. Look at this year's records.

As having watched both games of CCH vs HHS this year, and having seen HHS at their best over the last decade plus, the talent gap is still pretty big. HHS is no where near the level of previous talent. The two are still not even close in talent this year, though I’m sure it will change again at some point. 

7 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

As having watched both games of CCH vs HHS this year, and having seen HHS at their best over the last decade plus, the talent gap is still pretty big. HHS is no where near the level of previous talent. The two are still not even close in talent this year, though I’m sure it will change again at some point. 

I know exactly what you mean but some Highlands coaches adjusted to this. Sometimes Highlands has big guys sometimes quick guys and they adjusted their game around that.  Having players adjust to the system never works as well as having the system adjust to the players. When Highlands beat Cincinnati St Xavier, if you looked at the line for each team you would say Highlands had no business playing this team.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I know exactly what you mean but some Highlands coaches adjusted to this. Sometimes Highlands has big guys sometimes quick guys and they adjusted their game around that.  Having players adjust to the system never works as well as having the system adjust to the players. When Highlands beat Cincinnati St Xavier, if you looked at the line for each team you would say Highlands had no business playing this team.

I agree that a great coach can narrow the gap when the talent isn’t close. And BW proved that he isn’t that guy as a head coach. To be honest, last year CCH wasn’t that close to FD in talent. I’d say Mike Mayer was the best overall talent on the field, however the next 4-5 were probably on the FD sideline. CCH was extremely well prepared for that game and was very disciplined, and without this staff likely would have lost the game. 

I’m not talking just about size though with HHS now, they just don’t  have the same type of guys whether it’s skill or on the line as they do most years. 

• Like 1